1080p MKV buffering on wired connection on FireTV. Fix?
Hello,
I have a FireTV with XBMC that has problems playing MKV rips. I tried to play 1080p Frozen and in scenes where there is a lot of snow the FireTV will choke and then XBMC will show the buffering window until it's all caught up. This is on a wired connection so I know it's not a network issue. I also tried SPMC which is better but still get the buffering pop up but less often. Is there a setting or something I can do to prevent this? Maybe a bigger buffer setting to cache the video?

I am coming from an AMD E350 Windows XBMC setup that never had these problems. I wanted the FireTV to replace my AMD system because using Apps are nice and easy to get to unlike the AMD system. I love being able to check who is at the front door with my IP cam really quickly on the FIreTV. The PC would take too many steps.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Just because your network will cover the bitrate, doesn't mean the FTV network stack can handle it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-05, 00:34)qubilist Wrote: Hello,
I have a FireTV with XBMC that has problems playing MKV rips. I tried to play 1080p Frozen and in scenes where there is a lot of snow the FireTV will choke and then XBMC will show the buffering window until it's all caught up. This is on a wired connection so I know it's not a network issue. I also tried SPMC which is better but still get the buffering pop up but less often. Is there a setting or something I can do to prevent this? Maybe a bigger buffer setting to cache the video?

I am coming from an AMD E350 Windows XBMC setup that never had these problems. I wanted the FireTV to replace my AMD system because using Apps are nice and easy to get to unlike the AMD system. I love being able to check who is at the front door with my IP cam really quickly on the FIreTV. The PC would take too many steps.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I doubt its your firetv. I have tun 30 gigs mkv on the firetv without buffering. Check your PC hard drive. Is it SSD? Whats the wireless card on your PC. AC or N. or Is that wired. What router are you using. I believe firetv is capable. Look around it. I use SPMC.
Can you im me the file name and I'll download it and test it on my setup. Give me the exact location where it buffers. Till date i haven't seen a buffer with my setup.

My network is hard wired to the router and the netgear nighthawk AC router with the AC card on my laptop. 1tb ssd.
If you're right on the edge then I would try this: HOW-TO:Modify the video cache (wiki)

Something like this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>150000000</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>10</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>
What kind of server setup do you have? If you are trying to stream files from a Linux box I have noticed vast speed improvements when you share via NFS as opposed to Samba.
Probably a lan or nas issue. I stream 1080p MKVs of >10 GB over smb without problems, and without touching the cache settings (on wired)
I had some buffering issues but I changed the video cache to increase the settings (the FireTV has more than enough power to handle higher settings) and the buffering issue went away.
(2014-11-06, 22:46)OXOCube75 Wrote: I had some buffering issues but I changed the video cache to increase the settings (the FireTV has more than enough power to handle higher settings) and the buffering issue went away.

What did you change the video cache to?
I had issues with some big 1080p MKV... this fixed it completely and improved seek etc:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <buffermode>0</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>62914560</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>2</readbufferfactor>
  </network>

</advancedsettings>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p MKV buffering on wired connection on FireTV. Fix?0