Req CD ripping with KODI
you need to get rid of /usr/share/xbmc completely. then install the kodi package, which will symlink /usr/share/xbmc to /usr/share/kodi.
with other packages having written stuff in /usr/share/xbmc, the symlink cannot be installed, it will be a dedicated directory and .. sad.

in other words, make sure to remove everything that put a file in /usr/share/xbmc and confirm that the directory is gone. then reinstall.
(2014-11-08, 00:49)ironic_monkey Wrote: you need to get rid of /usr/share/xbmc completely. then install the kodi package, which will symlink /usr/share/xbmc to /usr/share/kodi.
with other packages having written stuff in /usr/share/xbmc, the symlink cannot be installed, it will be a dedicated directory and .. sad.

in other words, make sure to remove everything that put a file in /usr/share/xbmc and confirm that the directory is gone. then reinstall.

So basically what you are saying is, purge XBMC and make sure all the folders are gone from /usr/lib and /usr/share then reinstall the encoder packs or blow all of it out including the installed Kodi with the XBMC folders, purged XBMC etc., then update, upgrade and install Kodi clean.

Because I have purged XBMC which removed everything down to the folders and I deleted, reinstalled, found that it had remade the XBMC folders, purged and that purge cleared out all including the folders, went to synaptic, made sure I only had one XBMC (aka Kodi) repo which is the nightlies repo and tried a reinstall there thinking that the package install from there would install to Kodi. Still no bueno.

Can I physically move the folders and edit something to make it work?

If not, that is cool, even if there are like 50 steps to make it work, let me know what they are and I will do it. Kinda liking my Kodi set up as I have it now and don't really want to have to go back and reinstall all my plugins to make sure they work.

Thanks again for all the help

Rich
basically:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc-* kodi-*
sudo apt-get remove kodi kodi-bin

then make sure that /usr/lib/xbmc and /usr/share/xbmc do _not_ exist. If they do, delete them manually.

after that:
sudo apt-get install kodi
#at this point /usr/lib/xbmc will be a symlink pointing to /usr/lib/kodi and /usr/share/xbmc will link to /usr/share/kodi
sudo apt-get install xbmc-audioencoder-*
(2014-11-11, 16:33)wsnipex Wrote: basically:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc-* kodi-*
sudo apt-get remove kodi kodi-bin

then make sure that /usr/lib/xbmc and /usr/share/xbmc do _not_ exist. If they do, delete them manually.

after that:
sudo apt-get install kodi
#at this point /usr/lib/xbmc will be a symlink pointing to /usr/lib/kodi and /usr/share/xbmc will link to /usr/share/kodi
sudo apt-get install xbmc-audioencoder-*

Cool. Since I am not running purge, so you think it will keep my addons in place?
if you mean python addons: yes, they will not be touched. If you use pvr-addon, you have to reinstall them at the end.
As of Feb 26, 2016. I found that we can set for automatic cd ripping but I can't find anywhere on manual cd ripping. The wiki claims to right-click on the cd/track and use the rip option but there is none. I have been looking for 5 hours prior to this reply to this post.

NOTE: This is a fresh install of KODI V16.0. This computer has not seen any prior installs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CD ripping with KODI0