Possible bug Kodi `helix` Beta 2
I updated to kodi `helix`for testing as soon as the beta was released to the ppa,so I expected bugs but was surprised how smooth the migration went,thanks to the great work of team Kodi Smile Everything WAS running fine or so I thought..

I use my laptop to listen to music in my kitchen,lol Smile I stream over wifi using samba from my wired desktop to my laptop.This set-up has worked perfectly with gotham,but when I set it up this time I noticed audio cuts but thought nothing of it at first(possible wifi interference) Then beta 2 was released & it got much worse to the point it would move to the next dj set(drum & bass music) & eventually the connection to my other computer was lost completely Sad Wifi connection dropped Sad Takes a while to re-authenticate too.

I tried everything to eliminate possible causes my end(turned firewall off on both computers,even though samba was/is set-up correctly).I even removed/purged xbmc & kodi-bin/kodi + deleted the .kodi folder.I did a completely clean install to rule out any possible 3rd party conflicts..Still the problem persisted.

Regrettably I`ve rolled back to gotham as listening to tunes over wifi via SAMBA is quite important to me(I use it a lot as I tend to spend more time there as it`s nearer my front door which is where I smoke,lol) Since rolling back to gotham no more audio cuts or wifi drop-outs.

I`ve supplied a log which is short I stopped kodi as soon as I saw the same error that was in my old logs..Getting late here & I wanted to listen for over an hour to rule out a problem my end.No problems so far.Nearly 2hrs listening back on Gotham

No big deal just thought it worth reporting,keep up the good work xbmc/kodi is the best,simpleSmile The laptop was on Kodi helix & the desktop was on Gotham,both running Linux Mint 17.

Cheers

This is the line of interest & at the exact time/s the anomalies happen.It was the same in my old logs

Code:
00:58:03 T:140732093056960   DEBUG: UPower: Received an unknown signal DeviceChanged

Whole log a couple of instances of the error described & yes I got my password wrong the first try,lol(permission denied).

http://pastebin.com/81uEKQqV
I can't comment on music files specifically but just did a test with some videos - I have videos stored on another Linux machine, and shared wirelessly (both systems are wireless) using Samba and had no issues with either the video or audio. I'll play for longer duration tomorrow & also load some music files to see how that goes.
But at least as far as quick test goes, video sharing seems to be working fine
The line of "interest" is your logitech keyboard or whatever that is going into standby to save battery.

Can you verify that local playback is not affected?

Edit: You have got a whole lot plugins from the Frodo(!) era installed. Please in order to track that down. move your $HOME/.kodi to $HOME/.kodi-old and start with a clean xbmc profile while only adding the samba share and playing music, please
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for replying Smile That WAS a clean install,kodi/xbmc purged & .kodi deleted(not sure how there were frodo type addons as I had just installed kodi & didn`t have any addons installed)..I`ll purge xbmc Gotham & remove & re-add the unstable ppa later,but expect the results to be the same as it was already a fresh install of kodi.

I think the Frodo part of my log is just the icons from the xbmc.org repo as I was going to add NBC sports extra addon when I heard the anomalies happen twice,I then coppied the log & purged kodi.Local playback was not affected.

I`ll re-install Kodi today & supply a longer log later but as my previous test was a clean install I`m pretty sure the results will be the same Smile

Cheers
(2014-11-11, 09:51)fritsch Wrote: The line of "interest" is your logitech keyboard or whatever that is going into standby to save battery.

Can you verify that local playback is not affected?

Edit: You have got a whole lot plugins from the Frodo(!) era installed. Please in order to track that down. move your $HOME/.kodi to $HOME/.kodi-old and start with a clean xbmc profile while only adding the samba share and playing music, please

(2014-11-11, 13:26)smokey666 Wrote: Thanks for replying Smile That WAS a clean install,kodi/xbmc purged & .kodi deleted(not sure how there were frodo type addons as I had just installed kodi & didn`t have any addons installed)..I`ll purge xbmc Gotham & remove & re-add the unstable ppa later,but expect the results to be the same as it was already a fresh install of kodi.

I think the Frodo part of my log is just the icons from the xbmc.org repo as I was going to add NBC sports extra addon when I heard the anomalies happen twice,I then coppied the log & purged kodi.Local playback was not affected.

I`ll re-install Kodi today & supply a longer log later but as my previous test was a clean install I`m pretty sure the results will be the same Smile

Cheers

Clean install of Kodi again,lol ,still getting the same error in the log & they appear to happen at the exact time as the audio cuts.I`m using a laptop so don`t have a logitech keyboard attached only thing I`m using is a usb mouse but I got a cut within 3 seconds after I started playing.So not sure power management could`ve kicked in that fast.18 mins played so far & already 3 cuts.Will continue to test to see if I can re-create the lost/dropped wifi & skipping to the next set issue Smile

Here`s my log up until now & I didn`t enter the xbmc.org repo to keep the log as clean as possible Smile

Also unsure what these two lines mean in the log?

Code:
361.DEBUG: ffmpeg[7F81EE7FC700]: [swscaler] Warning: data is not aligned! This can lead to a speedloss
531.ffmpeg[7F8235DAB7C0]: [mp3] Could not update timestamps for skipped samples.

http://pastebin.com/Ceaiuj4B
there were a couple of changes related to reading from samba shares. i have pinged the responsible dev and asked if he could look into this.
(2014-11-11, 16:29)FernetMenta Wrote: there were a couple of changes related to reading from samba shares. i have pinged the responsible dev and asked if he could look into this.

ok cool thanks Smile No disconnects so far today but will keep kodi play music via wifi in the attempt to recreate it ..The audio cuts are still happening though Sad

Just got it to skip to the next set & a couple of ffmpeg errors show see code supplied.Bare in mind these aren`t new files I`ve listened to them many times before with Gotham.Now it`s jumping every few seconds Sad Not moaning happy to report,it`s a part of beta testing Smile I`ll upload the whole log soon & attach to this post,last thing to recreate is dropped wifi connection.Which could be unconnected but will be interested to read the log when/if it happens. Smile

Code:
16:38:15 T:140197226002368   DEBUG: unrecognized ID3 frame detected: RVA
RROR: Read: Error 110: "Connection timed out"
16:38:10 T:140196410365696   ERROR: ffmpeg[7F82053D1700]: [mp3] incomplete frame
16:38:11 T:140197226002368   DEBUG: UPower: Received an unknown signal DeviceChanged
16:38:14 T:140196410365696   ERROR: ffmpeg[7F82053D1700]: [mp3] Header missing
16:38:14 T:140196410365696   ERROR: CAudioDecoder: Error while decoding 1

Edit -- final piece has just happened, completely lost wifi despite their being 74% signal strength,like the wifi access point disappeared/rejected me...I`ll wait 10 mins then it either auto connects or connects when I reboot or I turn the wifi on/off on my laptop & it finds the router again.If I try too soon I get unauthenticated error.Re-connected now Smile

FULL log---> http://pastebin.com/VqmyBmEi
Loosing wifi is not xbmc's fault, that read error afterwards is unavoidable.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-11-11, 19:25)fritsch Wrote: Loosing wifi is not xbmc's fault, that read error afterwards is unavoidable.

Ok fritsch , I didn`t think it was possible either,probably just a coincidence.Will look at installing a better wifi driver but this computer is old & I have looked.It`s the only thing that slightly disappointed me when I changed from windows it got faster(the computer) however the time getting to peak download limit increased but http x6 download test`s come back at 40-60mbs almost instantly. Which is strange as on windows 7 it was the other way round.lol Wink

How about the audio cuts are they wifi related too?How come they don`t happen when I`m using Gotham?

p.s thanks for all your hard work on the audio engine,I`m a BIG fan of HD audio & xbmc/kodi plays it sweetly thanks to you & the other developers.

Cheers & sorry if I`ve wasted anyone`s time.
If you can, also test with LAN, make sure the issues don't happen from local disk first, please. Wifi is very unstable, so that needs to be dbugged last.
smokey666, keep posting your results.
There was a lot of changes in VFS and related stuff. Some of changes can result in less retries on SMB protocol.
If possible, try to install XBMC and Kodi at the same time and test them one-by-one.
(2014-11-11, 21:09)fritsch Wrote: If you can, also test with LAN, make sure the issues don't happen from local disk first, please. Wifi is very unstable, so that needs to be dbugged last.

Yes of course I`ll test with LAN I`m doing a brief test now.I realize I should`ve tested a hardwired connection first,just got transfixed with the idea it was working well before & they are only 320kbs mp3 files.So didn`t think wifi would struggle with such a low data transfer rate,if they were uncompressed wav or flac I would understand. Smile + the desktop is hardwired Smile

My library on this computer is kept to a minimal but the files I do have play fine.I`ll transfer the files I`ve been listening to over & test but have listened to some on my av receiver connected to my tv & desktop & they play without cuts Smile

(2014-11-11, 22:20)Karlson2k Wrote: smokey666, keep posting your results.
There was a lot of changes in VFS and related stuff. Some of changes can result in less retries on SMB protocol.
If possible, try to install XBMC and Kodi at the same time and test them one-by-one.

I`ll continue to supply my logs & yes I will do a comparison on the same files with both xbmc & kodi ,hardwired & wireless, that`s a good idea..Should keep me busy,lol ,lots of logs Smile
Started testing with a hard-wired LAN (had to use a power-plug but it was stable) No problems at all.Supplied two logs & tried to stick to the same files in previous logs to make for reliable testing . Transferred the same files & they ALL played with no errors either Smile

Did a brief one hour test on Helix back on wifi & the cuts started immediately & continued on & off for the whole hour as I`ve provided other logs showing the wifi problem,I`ve provided just one Smile At this stage I was thinking user error/wifi connection/interference &/or stability issues Sad

Purged kodi/kodi-bin & deleted the .Kodi folder.Re-enabled the stable PPA & disabled the unstable one.Updated the cache from software sources gui but did it again in the terminal before installing xbmc-gotham.At this stage was feeling slightly disappointed at the prospect of the error being down to my wifi.Then I started to use gotham again. Smile Definite difference.Explain more in the paragraph below Smile

Thought I start to test with wifi on gotham as my son is back from school & needs the homeplug for his playstation,lol.

WOW!Immediate difference with gotham,samba share list loaded much faster & the files play much quicker too..Gotham appears to be buffering ahead slightly to avoid any audio anomalies caused by unstable wifi connections.I`m saying this because when playing the same file with Helix beta 2 my wlan & lan were only showing a constant 67-69kbs download speed which did drop from time to time could`ve been aternating 1 second intervals(I`ll go back & check now I`ve noticed the change in pattern).With Gotham the same file is downloading @ 131-134kbs alternating with a zero every other second.No audio anomalies everything sounding as it should Smile The same set I`m playing now was skipping frequently on wifi running Helix prior to changing back to Gotham.

I`m using a cpu/network/disc monitoring applet which might not be 100% accurate but when transferring files I could see what fritsch ment about variable speeds on wifi sometimes 5000kbs,occaisionally zero.It is how I noticed the different download speeds when playing music files via wifi/samba & xbmc & kodi,lol

Are there any new advanced xml settings for Helix?I`m not using any at the moment but presume that xbmc/kodi will use the default if none are selected/manually added.

I`ll get the homeplug back later so only log missing will be the hardwired gotham one.Is that necessary if I don`t get problems on wifi?

Lots of logs.

Kodi Helix beta 2 LAN(homeplug) test 1 - http://pastebin.com/wxPN2KUp
Kodi Helix beta 2 LAN(homeplug) test 2 - http://pastebin.com/QcDtmx8G
Kodi Helix beta 2 LAN(homeplug) playing same file stored locally - http://pastebin.com/QiBD7u9H
Kodi Helix beta 2 WLAN(wifi) - http://pastebin.com/REv30DYJ

xbmc Gotham wifi - http://pastebin.com/pdLQNDiN

The xbmc gotham log shows one error near the end of the log,it was my fault I was doing the logs at pastebin & my computer froze for a second(adding syntax highlighting).I was expecting the anti-spam warning but instead it just froze then posted & xbmc skipped to the next set..Forgot to stop playing before posting.Definately my fault,lol.

I`m noticing Gotham buffering ahead at lot to start with now 1000-2000kbs then zero for a bit then stabilizes @ 131-134kbs.

Sorry for the HUGE post & I hope all the info needed is there.It`s been fun but tiring as all beta tests are for me & really missing the xbmc log analyser from windows that tool was cool.Gedit not quite the same lol.

Cheers
I`ve had no disconnections from my wifi for over three days.Did some debugging over at the linux mint forums.Seems to be fixed.So I installed Kodi beta 3 yesterday in the hope the audio cuts wouldn`t happen but sadly they still do Sad

Definitely doesn`t buffer head as much as Gotham & only streams at around 67kbs,Gotham downloads @ 133kbs & buffers ahead @ 2000-5000kbs ,the same set plays without error Sad Is this the default behaviour of Kodi now? Tried various advanced .xml setting <readbufferfactor>1.0</readbufferfactor> to 2 & 3 kodi still only streams the music @ 67kbs.

Other than this minor issue Helix looks really good & I would love to carry on testing but listening to music over wifi is important to me Sad As I wrote before these are only 320kbs mp3 files if they were flac(which is an awesome lossless codec) I would understand.Plus the desktop that I`m streaming from IS hard-wired.

Cheers & keep up the good work Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible bug Kodi `helix` Beta 20