Multichannel vs Passthrough. Best sound settings?
Hello everybody.

I have been rethinking my sound settings recently, and a few questions did arise. In general, I am using xbmc for both stereo (music) and video files with both 5.1 sound (DTS, DD, DTS-HD, flac, aac) and 2.0 audio. My AVR is capable of decoding DD and DTS.

Right now I have passthrough enabled for dolby digital and DTS. But I'm not really satisfied with this setting. Because a DD-stream normally has an offset of a few dB, which means that I need to turn up the volume on my AVR when watching a movie.

Also, music files, which I want to listen to in stereo, require a different sound setting than 2.0 video files, which I normally watch using Pro Logic or similar pseudo-surround-sound "upmixing" methods. But again, I need to touch the AVR remote.

My first question: Is it possible to get XBMC to treat the audio the way I want it, depending on the media type (music vs video).
Secondly, are there benefits of using multichannel instead of passthrough? How does Audio Engine treat a DD/DTS/DTS-HD stream when disabling passthrough? Will I loose any quality?
Third and last: Is there a way to get some sort of 2.0 to 5.1 upmixing from XBMC? Something similar to PL or DTS neo?

Thanks so far!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multichannel vs Passthrough. Best sound settings?0