Stereo external amp mode
Hi,

I'm using XBMC with a 2.0 hifi stereo amplifier, and I would like to customize XBMC to improve my overall user experience.
The main features would be:
  • Disable volume control (as it's done by the amp)
  • Boost center channel volume on downmix (to avoid setting volume on every action/dialogue scene)
  • NightMode (DRC) for late watching
  • Audio outputs, depending of content: music or movies (for example, use USB output for audio files and hdmi=>tv optical out for video)

For the implementation, I though of:
  • [VOLUME]: Hide volume and amplification volume sliders in UI
  • [VOLUME]: Set volume & amplification (100% and 0dB) when XBMC start, and each time a video playback is started/stopped
  • [VOLUME]: Disable volume incresae/decrease/mute command

• [DOWNMIX]: Add a "Enhance dialogue on downmix" option, as discussed here
  • [DOWNMIX]: Possibility to override the center channel boost on advancedsettings.xml
  • [DOWNMIX]: Make the downmix options (normalize & center boost) work on tv show/movies only (don't want my concerts to be compressed)

• [NIGHTMODE]: Users can cycle between defined NightModes using its remote/keyboard
  • [NIGHTMODE]: Volatile settings, ie applies only on the current playback and not saved on database.
  • [NIGHTMODE]: NightMode patterns are defined in advancedsettings.xml (as many as wanted)
  • [NIGHTMODE]: A NightMode is a combination of "volume amplification" (for DRC), "volume offset" (to compensate amplification), "center channel boost" (override default or offset?) and "normalize"

I want to keep it as simple as possible.
So maybe be more extreme and remove all downmix feature from the UI, and use only the NightModes patterns (renamed them AudioPresets)
If you have suggestions, or ideas, thanks for sharing it with me Smile
I think you'll find resistance from the developers for any increase in the number of settings.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-19, 20:55)nickr Wrote: I think you'll find resistance from the developers for any increase in the number of settings.

Ok.
I was thinking to fork XBMC and just add theses features on each release.
some of what you mentioned is already part of experimental raspberryPI builds (like center boost on downmix). If done reasonably I don't think we'll be opposed to new settings so they make sense. We only don't like adding a shitload of settings that only make sense for a minority of power users. Please note that there is a work in progress to add support for DSP addons etc which could also be used for some of your requests I suppose (there is a PR pending on github somewhere).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereo external amp mode0