Linux player for <150$ - fullHD + HD audio/with CEC supp/ powered over USB
Hello

Is there a hardware that:
- plays smoth fullHD (4K optional) content with DTS HD best over HDMI or optical
- HDMI CEC support (like the raspberry PI)
- LAN Gigabit
- powered over TV-s USB (like the raspberry PI)
- runs KODI or Openelec

The content will be shared from a NAS.
I sick of my current HTPC and the additional remote.

Any options?

I know that there is this HiMedia Q5 III. It look great on the paper (i dont know about the power over USB) but I dont know anybody that has this so i`m sceptical.
Solidrun CuBox-i i4pro (quad core model) it is an Arm chip like R-Pi but more powerful.

- 1080p Blu-ray,
- HD audio bit-streaming works but it's still buggy as it is still a relatively new development
- HDMI-CEC built in + IR receiver too.
- Gigabit
- No uses own power pack
- uses Openelec

You can get Openelec Kodi beta from here, grab diskimage and use win32 disk image writer to burn image to micro SD card, then insert into CuBox-i and power on.
the cubox is not powered over the tv usb...
anything that is powered over usb will be a stick... these are mainly chinese products that have issues and always have something missing...hw acceleration, heat issues...
So I would take out that requirement...you can still get low power if that is what you want and also low footprint.
CEC although has it uses its like "training wheels for the real thing" (as quoted by someone) so don't bother with that and just buy a nice remote and get flirc...it'll be worth it in the end!

I would reccomend the asus chromebox, except for cec and not being able to power over usb it has everything you want.
don't really understand people recommending the cubox over the asus chromebox its $139.99 compared with $159.00 for the chromebox from amazon..local vs shipped..asus vs solidrun. x86 (everything works) vs arm. able to install chrome, linux and windows vs arm and linux. The cubox is a nice hardware but its price is to high compared with ...

this guys a happy camper that made the plunge and got an asus chromebox
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209447

your going to have this for the next few years, why not think of it as an investment spread over that term and it'll always have good resell value since its the best bang for your buck right now...not sure how much the cubox will hold in terms of value over same period...

check this video to see chromebox in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-M1x8lUyUA
CEC is pretty much the reason he's after another platform.

CuBox-i is more preferable if after a complete package, sure Chromebox is nice and all but it requires things bolted on like the Pulse Eight CEC adapter and I imagine most people are only running Kodi nothing else and have no need for other OS.
How does Solidrun CuBox-i i4pro (with OpenELEC, not Android) compare with a HP/Asus Chromebox in terms of performance?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Be aware the CuBox-i will not de-interlace Live TV - Intel Haswell based boxes do so perfectly.

http://www.solid-run.com/community/topic1848.html

I`m looking for a pure player of locally shared video files.
The RPi was for me something fresh .. Powered from USB TV, working via CEC.... missing only some performance and Giga LAN.

What do it mean "de-interlace Live TV" - if its connected to Live TV then I`m not intrested.
Not interested also in android. So when I saw on the Openelec site that there is a version for ARM hardware (Freescale iMX6 Builds (ex. CuBox-i, Hummingboard)) then I start to look very promising.

The CuBox is better from the Hummingboard?
De-interlacing performance is important if you watch any ripped DVDs or Blu-rays (or content from them) which contain 50i or 60i content (some concerts, sport, entertainment etc.)

If you only watch stuff shot 24p or 25p (movies, drama, high-end documentary) then you probably won't be interested in de-interlacing.
penetratore,

Have a good read about the CuBox in this post if you are considering it:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1846194

I still think a Chromebox (with Openelec) along with the super responsive and compatible, replacement Amazon Fire TV stick - bluetooth remote would be the best solution with less compromises and issues, even if CEC control is missing.

Amazon Fire TV stick - correnct me if i`m wrong but here you have to first install the XBMC apk and later every time with start of the stick you need to find the app and run ... not very convinient for the kid :|

Some monts ago I sam somewhere a small board (little bit bigger the RPI) but with Intel Atom processor. any clue on this kind of solutions?
Depending on how much you want to spend you should consider having a look at Vero.
The only thing missing is powered over TV-s USB, but you are going to have to compromise on that methinks, to get a powerful box.

It will be well supported by a very competent developer and will run Kodi via its OSMC software.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209785

(2014-11-22, 10:40)Starstream Wrote: Solidrun CuBox-i i4pro (quad core model) it is an Arm chip like R-Pi but more powerful.

- 1080p Blu-ray,
- HD audio bit-streaming works but it's still buggy as it is still a relatively new development
You can get Openelec Kodi beta from here, grab diskimage and use win32 disk image writer to burn image to micro SD card, then insert into CuBox-i and power on.

What's the bug with hd audio bitstreaming? I think I've fixed that properly. If not -> trac.xbmc.org, file a bug with all logfiles and assing me.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
player for <150$ - fullHD + HD audio/with CEC supp/ powered over USB0