A way to crop video to 1.85 aspect ratio?
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm currently moving to xbmc from VLC and it's great! However I have a question, usually on vlc whenever I found a movie that appeared with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen I would just "crop" the video (in the menu go to video->crop->1.85:1) which in effect cropped the bars. This also crops part of the image on the leftmost and rightmost edges of the screen however it was less cropped than if I just zoomed the image but it still keeps the aspect ratio right (don't know how that works exactly). The point is that I want to know how to do the same on xbmc since the default xbmc options don't produce the expected results. I would really appreciate the help on this.
So lets get this right, you want to maintain aspect ratio and fill the whole screen? You will miss the edges. Crazy.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-22, 22:53)nickr Wrote: So lets get this right, you want to maintain aspect ratio and fill the whole screen? You will miss the edges. Crazy.

I just want to know how to re-create the crop 1.85:1 from VLC on xbmc. I know what this implies (I described it in OP after all) and I accept the trade-off in order to remove the black bars BUT zooming takes too much of the left/rightmost edges which is why that is not a solution.
To get rid of the black bars and maintain aspect you have to cut off the left/right edges. Simple geometry.

If you want to change aspect ratio then I think you do it by changing pixel ratio in video playback settings.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-23, 01:11)nickr Wrote: To get rid of the black bars and maintain aspect you have to cut off the left/right edges. Simple geometry.

If you want to change aspect ratio then I think you do it by changing pixel ratio in video playback settings.

I know, I made it clear since the first post and as I said I accept that trade off, what I'm asking is if there is a way to do it like the video crop 1.85:1 on vlc that's all.
Just go to the video menu and select zoom amount and then zoom until you get rid of the black bar. I mean you're chopping off a TON of information, but to each their own I guess.

Rereading your post, I realize you said you wanted to maintain aspect ratio but you didn't want to zoom because it took too much off. What you're asking is not possible based on geometry. You're either going to need to zoom and maintain aspect ratio or some combination of stretch vertically and zoom which will not remove as much of the edges BUT WILL NOT maintain aspect ratio.
(2014-11-23, 04:18)clubwerks Wrote: Just go to the video menu and select zoom amount and then zoom until you get rid of the black bar. I mean you're chopping off a TON of information, but to each their own I guess.

I already tried the zooming but it doesn't produce the desired results ("to re-create the crop 1.85:1 from VLC"). The crop 1.85 also chops information but not as much as zooming which is why I'm trying to get it on xbmc if it's possible.
Reread my post, I added to it. What you're asking is not possible. You cannot maintain aspect ratio without chopping off a lot of the edge. What you want is a combination of pixel ratio decrease and zoom increase. Try something like .84 pixel ratio and 1.12 zoom. That is a little stretch and a little zoom.
Non-linear stretch?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A way to crop video to 1.85 aspect ratio?0