2in1 NAS/HTPC
Hi,

Is there a good quality price option for a NAS with HDMI and XBMC integrated? I'm thniking for example to Asustor AS-302T

thanks
I built a mini-itx PC running Linux.
I'm rather find a pre-built NAS/HTPC
Yeah i'm looking for one too.
Qnap.com for the x86 machines there is an optional pachage with xbmc
I have a lot of experience with XBMC and NAS drives. I would have to say that wanting to run it directly from the drive sounds great but does not translate well in practice. The QNap TS-669L can do it but playback is terrible and limited. If you go with a lower cost NAS and use Fire TV or similar type device you'll get much better performance and no much extra space used up. And for the ultimate All-In-One just sit the Fire TV on top of the NAS an you've accomplished your goal with a much better performing system. I'm joking about the last part sort of.
Thanks for the feedback, the all-in-one option is more to avoid cables, having to start different hardware etc. but if there is no good option....

So basically I should buy a my cloud mirror from WD and find something to support HBMC?
It really depends on your overall requirements - IMO, building your own seems like the right answer given your description - but if you have 20TB of usable storage configured as RAID-2 then it'll never fit in anything smaller than a mATX case, plus you'll need expansion slots for all the extra SATA ports so that probalby means ATX. That may not now meet your expectations of a HTPC because it's now bigger than your television. On the other hand, if you have little local data and have physical (shiny disc) backups then you might only need one or two internal drives, so a small form factor would work. You also have fans to worry about with multiple HDDs, which could get in the way of your filmic entertainment unless you're made of money and have an all-SSD setup.

The same goes for off-the-shelf units - if they're big enough to cope as a NAS, and meaty enough to drive Kodi in 1080p with all the sound options, then they're likely to be big boxes with fans aplenty, and you might not want to stare at that.
What the Prof said, plus this: xbmc can be a fickle beast. New version, breakage, damn it I'll do a complete reinstall from OS up. Oops my machine is also my has, can't do that.

Better IMHO to separate stable storage server from potentially flaky frontend.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you. I just need a 8To Raid1 (with 4To usable) To store my movies, music and computer backup.

I was thinking of this: http://www.amazon.fr/WD-Cloud-Mirror-NAS...oud+mirror

or this http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products....=1180#Tab3
What do you guys think of:

i3 or i5 NUC + 4GB RAM + 120GB SSD running either Ubuntu or Windows 8.1 & XBMC
+
Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive connected via USB 3.0 (STDT5000100)

This solution is: Low Power, runs as a HTPC, operates as a NAS if left switched on, and is not very expensive compared to a NAS.
@anthony74700: RAID1 is an expensive way to just protect data in my opinion - I run RAID-Z2, which is effectivel RAID-6, i.e. two parity drives and multiple data drives. It depends on how valuable your data is, and how easily (if at all) you could replace it.

... which brings me to: RAID is not backup. Say it again, "RAID IS NOT BACKUP". And just in case, "le RAID n'est pas la suavegarde". If your data is that valuable, what happens if you drop your NAS? If it's stolen? If the house catches fire? If the children/dog/you are sick on it or drop a bottle of 1974 Chateauneuf onto it? RAID is a way of reducing downtime due to disc failure, but you should have a backup plan as well if it's worth doubling your discs for.

By the by, the WD box looks fine on paper - I always used to use Synology myself, which were great little boxes - you could also look to QNAP or a bit of a self-build with something like FreeNAS.

@joelbaby: an i5 NUC is probably overkill just to watch films and TV, unless you're also using it for gaming - in which case, you may need more GPU grunt than the on-board graphics can give. Maybe. 4Gb is plenty for 'buntu, a bit tight for WIndows. Otherwise, this would be an always-on(-sometimes) NAS if that's convenient. How well it works depends on you LAN connection and what you'd be sharing, but I can't see even HD videso really presenting a problem if your NUC were wired in - wireless would be a different matter. Same comments for backup as above, particularly for a USB drive that's more susceptible to physical (specifically, gravity-assisted) damage. Not sure where the "Seagate backup" figures here, though.
(2014-12-01, 12:25)anthony74700 Wrote: Thank you. I just need a 8To Raid1 (with 4To usable) To store my movies, music and computer backup.

I was thinking of this: http://www.amazon.fr/WD-Cloud-Mirror-NAS...oud+mirror

or this http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products....=1180#Tab3

Why would you buy 8To to get 4To usable? Raid is a waste.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
+1 on separate devices. Lots of advantages.
If you get the right NAS, it will be a long time before you have to upgrade either hardware or software.
The XBMC device, chances are you will want to upgrade it all the time.
I currently have a WD My Book Live with shares being access by XBMC.

Also as mentioned earlier, make sure you understand the difference between "Redundancy vs Backup".
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2014-12-01, 20:48)Prof Yaffle Wrote: @anthony74700: RAID1 is an expensive way to just protect data in my opinion - I run RAID-Z2, which is effectivel RAID-6, i.e. two parity drives and multiple data drives. It depends on how valuable your data is, and how easily (if at all) you could replace it.

... which brings me to: RAID is not backup. Say it again, "RAID IS NOT BACKUP". And just in case, "le RAID n'est pas la suavegarde". If your data is that valuable, what happens if you drop your NAS? If it's stolen? If the house catches fire? If the children/dog/you are sick on it or drop a bottle of 1974 Chateauneuf onto it? RAID is a way of reducing downtime due to disc failure, but you should have a backup plan as well if it's worth doubling your discs for.

By the by, the WD box looks fine on paper - I always used to use Synology myself, which were great little boxes - you could also look to QNAP or a bit of a self-build with something like FreeNAS.

Ahahah thank you for the great explanation Smile I understand Raid1 is not a backup solution, my bad for the vocabulary, but this is what I need.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2in1 NAS/HTPC0