Emulators & ROMS... a bit confused.
Been using XBMC since it was only available for XBOX & back then I always used it to play all the old ROMS. Since ditching the XBOX many years ago and upgrading to a HTPC running XBMCbuntu, setting up all the ROMS/emulators is the only thing I've never gotten around to being that it seemed very confusing. I understand Advanced Launcher must be used and I know there are numerous tutorials floating around on set up. My main question is are all the ROMS & emulators I currently use on my Windows machine compatible with the XBMCbuntu PC or do I have to find all ROMS/emulators specifically for Linux? Thanks!
1. Use the RCB addon (ROM Collection Browser)
2. Use RetroArch for all your emulating needs

RetroArch works on every platform you could possibly think of.
Bumping. Been trying to set this up. Is RetroArch now called RetroPlayer? I noticed Rom Collection Browser is already in Kodi's Add On's but RetroArch/Player is not. Is it even available for Kodi 14 because I can't seem to find it.
All of the emulators you currently use may not have be able to run on Linux. It all the depends on what platforms the emulator was programmed to support.

RetroArch and RetroPlayer are two completely different projects. RetroArch is a reference frontend for launching emulators and other media. RetroPlayer integrates much of RetroArch's code into Kodi and adds extra functionality. You will have to install RetroArch yourself along with the emulators. I do recommend compiling and installing RetroArch and the libretro cores from source. You can find what you'll need here: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-super. There is almost a 3rd party repository (PPA) for RetroArch which you can find here: https://launchpad.net/~hunter-kaller/+ar...ubuntu/ppa along with instructions.
Did you have any luck with this? I just spent the last 5 hours wasting my time trying to get this to work. I was first trying RBC for hours and couldn't get it to work. I should first say I am running Gotham 13.2 (I believe) that I flashed on a Jynxbox M6 so it is running Linux. I had some small success with RBC, was able to get everything right, used one of the emulators for linux and was getting "Error launching .7z file. Please check XBMC.log for details". Couldn't get around it or get anything to work so I finally was able to download Advanced Launcher and installed it.

Now that I followed all the steps, used all different types of emulators and ROMS and still nothing. I am very frustrated at this point and gave up. Now I have to go to work with absolutely no sleep. Can ANYONE point me in the right direction to what I need to do? Thanks.
Yeah cos it's ARM Cortex A9 Processor based!
You need emulator built for that instruction set cpu...(not a big problem, google)
No, I never got it working.
(2015-03-31, 15:17)robo989 Wrote: Yeah cos it's ARM Cortex A9 Processor based!
You need emulator built for that instruction set cpu...(not a big problem, google)

I looked for emulators for ARM and tried Beaglesnes and QEMU but no luck. Do you have one you can suggest I try?
......any help?
You'll need to install emulators before you can use RCB or Advanced Launcher. Did you do that?
(2015-04-02, 08:11)jdphilippe Wrote:
(2015-03-31, 15:17)robo989 Wrote: Yeah cos it's ARM Cortex A9 Processor based!

I looked for emulators for ARM and tried Beaglesnes and QEMU but no luck. Do you have one you can suggest I try?

Sorry mate, I've not ever dabbled with emulators/roms with respect to linux/xbmc and am on an x86 based CPUs throughout so I really can't help I'm afraid.
Was just pointing out that you will need emulators compiled for ARM architecture Smile
(2015-04-07, 15:12)negge Wrote: You'll need to install emulators before you can use RCB or Advanced Launcher. Did you do that?

How am I suppose to install emulators before? I am not using a computer, this is from my JynxBox M6 Android TV Box that I flashed Gotham on so it is linux based now.
(2015-04-07, 15:12)negge Wrote: You'll need to install emulators before you can use RCB or Advanced Launcher. Did you do that?
Is there some easy guide on how to get the emulators and install them (on OpenELEC, ssh via a Win 7 computer)? I'm also looking for a solution for my retro gaming needs and setting up Retroarch doesn't seem too easy either. I did try it once but was never able to launch the configuration GUI.

I'm experienced with Windows systems but much, much less with Linux.
@jdphilippe: start by installing Retroarch for Android then. Just google it and you'll find instructions, could be that it's on the Play store even.
@Boulder: I don't think there's any easy solution for Openelec I'm afraid.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Emulators & ROMS... a bit confused.0