• 38(current)
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805
@kanyck,
The newer OE updates with the Mali Turbo (GPU) have regained most of the lost GUI speed that you first saw when the GUI tearing fix went in a while ago.

Known issue the Console Logs output displaying on screen during reboot and TV on. Last on the list to fix.

And for all those with corruption issues I'm reading the C1+ is still having issues Samsung EVO microSDHC cards. There has been a patch in the latest OE to limit the MMC High Speed clock limit to a max of 40MHz.

(2016-03-25, 02:50)benjidave Wrote: Is it usual to see that my Sony TV remote with cec works much better then my 5$ ODROID IR Remote? It seems to be a bit too slow and not really responsive compared to CEC. Am I missing something and have to do something to optimize the Odroid remote (I like its simple design and would like to use it)? I know it's a 5$ remote...

Btw, thanks wrxtasy, your OE builds are amazing.
I do not have a HK $5 remote control but did custom configure my unused BD remote buttons on my Sony TV IR Remote to operate with Lirc on the C1. Its pretty snappy.

Mini Guide to setting up any IR remote on the C1/C2:
=====================================

1) ssh into the C1 (IP address on Kodi Settings > Sysinfo > Network screen)

1.5) NOTE If you already have a MCE Remote you may only need to, (and then reboot and your done)
Code:
cp /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.rpi /storage/.config/lircd.conf

2) Custom record your Lirc IR remote: (Copy and paste one line at a time)
Code:
killall lircd
irrecord --device /dev/lirc0 /storage/.config/lircd.conf

3) After following the instructions presented you will end up here:
Quote:Please enter the name for the next button (press <ENTER> to finish recording)
The "name(s) for the next button" comes from here: (KEY_LEFT KEY_RIGHT etc)
Code:
irrecord --list-namespace
or
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c1_lirc

Further names can be found in this post:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...00#p104917

4) Further tweaking of the lircd.conf file may be needed for Button repeat operation.
Modify this section of lircd.conf, you may need to remove the #
Code:
nano .config/lircd.conf
CTRL-X to exit

Quote: min_repeat 4
# suppress_repeat 3
# uncomment to suppress unwanted repeats

5) To restart Lirc with the new lircd.conf:
Code:
killall -HUP lircd

6) To test if the correct Remote Control buttons are mapped to the correct Lirc names:
Code:
irw
CTRL-C to stop

W. Smile

Since the GPU drivers fix went in, the first press on the remote has some sort of tiny delay. I have not found a fix for that yet.

(2016-03-25, 03:53)noggin Wrote: There was a GUI tearing fix that stopped the tearing, but also (at least to me) appeared to reduce the fluidity of the GUI a little. Wonder if the older version you are comparing with didn't have that?
(2016-03-25, 07:30)wrxtasy Wrote: The newer OE updates with the Mali Turbo (GPU) have regained most of the lost GUI speed that you first saw when the GUI tearing fix went in a while ago.
I wouldn't say it's a tearing in a way I understand it. Rather, it's less fluid again: the Confluence "menu stripe" (or whatever it is the right way to call it) moves a little bit jerky. Not a problem at all -- just mentioned it FYI as a sign of a possible regression. Or maybe it's just my impression. I may later put 6.0.3 on another card and compare to be sure. Will let you know about the results.

Meanwhile I spend the most of yesterday testing this little beast with different TV sets and wanna share my impressions from 6.95.9.2 controlled with TV remote via CEC.

Pros: fast, stable and quite predictable. Almost ready for the show, but....

Cons (bugs and other drawbacks):
1. OpenELEC configuration add-on disappeared from the Confluence menu (I mean the secondary menu under the "System"). Still may be found and invoked via System -> Add-ons -> ...
2. OpenELEC configuration: some time ago the second keymap disappeared from the settings. At least I can't find it anymore to make my keyboard bilingual again. This is not needed for a normal operation, but updating a media library becomes a real pain in the *** if I need to manually type in the movie title in Russian. I can still make the screen keyboard bilingual, but it takes lots of arrow keystrokes to proceed.
3. No 3D at all. It plays 3D as 2D all the time...
4. If I recall it correctly Unofficial Addons repo was pulled in automatically. It's not anymore. Once again, it's not a big issue, JFYI.

About CEC and integration with a TV set. After I programmed coloured TV remote keys for missed functions (context menu, info, quick audio and subtitle switching) I may live without extra remote just fine. But the different TV sets appear to behave quite differently as it comes to CEC. (Quite obvious, isn't it?)
Panasonic plasma: good enough for an everyday use. The only annoying thing is that it loves to double keystrokes over CEC often enough to mess the control now and then. But this is the only problem I've experienced so far. Is there a way to fix unwanted repeats coming through CEC? It bypasses lirc, doesn't it? (So far I've the gap in understanding how cec works. Some reading is obviously awaiting me...)
New Samsung 9-series (curved): The control is a little bit slow but stable. After keeping the TV off (odroid stays on) a lot of annoying console output is on the screen, but in a short while the normal operation is back. The garbage goes away and the remote becomes operational in 8-10 seconds or so. But there is a lot of console complaining on the screen seen right after the TV is on. It looks like the player tries to "fix" something all the time the TV is off.
Older Samsung 6-series (flat): Total disaster. It only works until both TV and player stay on, what makes it unusable in practice. If I switch the TV off, it goes back on immediately. If I switch the TV input to another sources before switching it off -- it stays off but never picks up CEC again the next time I power on the TV and the control over the player is lost forever.

wrxtasy Wrote:Known issue the Console Logs output displaying on screen during reboot and TV on. Last on the list to fix.
Not happy to read this. I understand there's a lot of work you guys are doing, especially when very promising but quite problematic C2 is out. I quit programming about 20 years ago so I can't fix it myself if some coding is needed. Sorry for that...
However, from my point of view it may be a show-stopper for many use cases. Idiomatically, my auntie would call 911 having seen handful of console output on top of the media player graphic screen after switching on the TV Rolleyes Many casual users will not notice a little shuttering we discussed last week or a lack of interface fluidity, for example. Everyone will for sure notice error messages on the screen. It may not be so important technically but still may ruine the overall non-tech user impression from using the device. Eventually, it's a media player, isn't it? So for the end user it ought to behave this way.
May be there is a workaround for this issue? Is there a way to put the console output to /dev/null or wherever, for example?

Thanx!
Yeah I c it the same, thats why I'm now on android on my C1+. It works much better for me and the remote immediatelly reacts, that was bugging me most on openelec and that I still get crashes when running at 1,7xGHz and governer set to preformance. This is not happening with android.

Hopefully those small issues can be ironed out, then the openlec release is really a great software for the device.
Thanks again wrxtasy for all your work and time you are putting into this.

Regards
Vlaves

PS On Android not everything is perfect too. I used "XBMC Launcher" to set Kodi as the Launcher. So this is working fine. Just that the remote control is always showing system volume indicator when changing volume and it is not using the Kodi skin. And second, when skipping inside a video, the screen gets blank/black until video and audio are synchronized it seem. But then you can't see how far you skipped foreward inside a video. Maybe wrxtasy you can comment on that if you know how this can be adjusted. Thanks so much again for all your support Smile
(2016-03-25, 11:42)kanyck Wrote: I wouldn't say it's a tearing in a way I understand it. Rather, it's less fluid again: the Confluence "menu stripe" (or whatever it is the right way to call it) moves a little bit jerky. Not a problem at all -- just mentioned it FYI as a sign of a possible regression. Or maybe it's just my impression. I may later put 6.0.3 on another card and compare to be sure. Will let you know about the results.
You misunderstood me. In my experience the earlier versions of OpenElec without the tearing fix (i.e. that had visible tearing in the GUI - i.e. display updates mid-frame display so you got motion from two frames with a line somewhere on the screen separating them as the display wasn't being updated in blanking/at v-sync) were more fluid. The rendering fix that stopped the tearing, also appeared to reduce the fluidity of the GUI rendering, though as wrxtasy things have improved a bit. The tearing was more noticeable on brighter skins rather than darker ones. I could see it on Confluence - but others found it a lot more annoying in other skins.

(For comparison, I'd say the Pi 3 now renders the GUI more fluidly on main menu screens)
Couldn't resist and tested the newest build and watching now since some time Live TV 1080i h.264 and no crash so far, so this seems to be solved in this build Smile And I'm running at 1,7xGHz and in preformance mode. The only thing is now that the remote is lagging at times and that the network is taking to much time to buffer the Live stream from tvheadend, this was almost instant in android. SoI think I will stay for now on openelec Smile

Hope thse two things get fixed as it seems to be really tricky to iron out the problem. So thanks agin wrxstasy and to all others for your support again Smile

Regards
Vlaves
@kanyck,

1) Not even aware it was missing, I don't use the Confluence Skin. I find the OE configurator in Programs.
2) Unable to help with that, again unaware. OpenELEC forums may help
3) I believe 3D HSBS works, no 3D MVC, will play as 2D as you have found.
4) Unofficial OE Addon repo is still avail, you have to install it from OpenELEC Add-ons (official) > Add-on repo.

So far as HDMI CEC is concerned, that HardKernels area. I've asked for a major AML Kernel update to align with Vero2 / OSMC and WeTek S8xx Kernels to implement the OE dev. gda's AML HDMI CEC patches for full libCEC Kodi compatibility.
Hassle Hardkernel if you want improvements, I already have multiple times.

@ Vlaves > try using WeTek Jarvis mediaplayer. Blanking like that is usually a HDCP or HDMI issue in Android. I don't use it so cannot help much.

The first Live TV buffering seems to take a while with amcodec, I see it with OE on the WeTek Core as well. Changing channels after that is reasonably quick, especially if you configure the TvHeadend Add client to use "Predictive Tuning"

=================

I've changed the MALI Turbo settings and the GUI fluidity is back again and GPU Temps are lower too Smile
So kanyck was not dreaming about relative loss of speed after all.

OE 6.95.9.2 Kodi Jarvis 16.1rc2.GUI.Speedup.tar HERE

(2016-03-25, 14:16)wrxtasy Wrote: The first Live TV buffering seems to take a while with amcodec, I see it with OE on the WeTek Core as well. Changing channels after that is reasonably quick, especially if you configure the TvHeadend Add client to use "Predictive Tuning"

Predictive tuning will only speed things up if you either have a second, unused, tuner won't it? (It pre-tunes the next channel - and if that is not in the same mux/on the same transponder - it will 'pre-tune' a second tuner to the predicted mux/transponder to speed up surfing by avoiding the need for a single tuner to re-tune, re-lock etc.?)
Not sure on the particulars with TvHeadend but yes I would think a second tuner would be needed. Works well for nice quick channel zapping. Smile

@benjidave, @Vlaves can you guys do a custom version of lircd.conf with the HK remote control you have pls from Post #557 ?
It may improve your response times for IR. Mine a pretty quick with the Sony IR remote I use.
I have no HK remote to test

(2016-03-25, 14:16)wrxtasy Wrote: I've changed the MALI Turbo settings and the GUI fluidity is back again and GPU Temps are lower too Smile
So kanyck was not dreaming about relative loss of speed after all.

OE 6.95.9.2 Kodi Jarvis 16.1rc2.GUI.Speedup.tar HERE

Thanks so much, this is now really fluent Smile Even when running on preformance and just 1,5xGHz, but that way there is no crash and still everythings is smooth, just at times a small lag with the remote. Okay must say, didn't tested own lirc.conf, but will do this evening. Awsome release, thanks so much Smile

Edit: now had a crash again while watching Live TV Sad (1080i h264 at 1,5xGHz in preformance mode). Hope to be able to reproduce so I can post logs. Is a temperature of 75 degrese normal for the ODROID?
Hi, now another crash happened and I have now all logs, so I hope you can have a look at it. No changes regarding overclocking done.

dmesg | paste:
http://sprunge.us/Wfij

cat .kodi/temp/kodi.log | paste:
http://sprunge.us/RhZW

Hope this will help to iron out the crashes I am experiencing.

Thanks so much for your support.
Regards
Vlaves
Can you please have a look at the logs, hope to sort it out with your help.
Problem is that the WAF is really low right now at home, when viewing Live TV crashes the box.
Hope you will find time to have a lok at the log files.

Thanks again for your support Smile

Regards
Vlaves
Back to basics:

- Confluence Skin
- Disable Addons, screen savers, any python video addons that may be causing issues
- What Power Supply ?
- What microSDHC ?
- How is the sdhc card being imaged ?

This is telling in the Kernel Log, and either points to a micro SDHC issues or a Hardware problem, we may have discussed this before:
Code:
mmcblk0: r/w command failed, status = 0x80000b00
[    1.680100@2] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 30318584
[    1.680108@2] Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0, logical block 3789823
[    1.680784@2] mmcblk0: r/w command failed, status = 0x80000b00

You can also trial out the interactive Governor instead of Performance.
I also watch TV with 1080i H264 and am not seeing any crashing. I will let video play for a while and see if I can reproduce what you are having issues with.

(2016-03-28, 11:53)wrxtasy Wrote: I also watch TV with 1080i H264 and am not seeing any crashing. I will let video play for a while and see if I can reproduce what you are having issues with.

HI wrxtasy. Out of interest - what H264 source for 1080i Live TV are you using in Aus? DVB-T is MPEG2 there isn't it?
Some of the newer channels here in Aus are h264.
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S8051