• 37(current)
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805
(2016-02-20, 03:04)DEcosse Wrote: I loaded RC4 (updated using .tar file) and then found I had no video ....

I had initially tried re-applying the update and it made no difference, so I rolled back to the 6.95.7.
Today I re-tried applying the RC4 and this time I did not have the problem
Presumably something got corrupted during the initial update.

All is well - Thanks!
(2016-02-21, 13:53)Vlaves Wrote: ...
Would be if there is a way to increase the reaction time for the remote, using a RF-keyboard for example makes the GUI react instantly, while with remote there is a slight delay.

Someone an idea on this topic?

Thanks for your support Smile

Regards
Vlaves
Hi wrxtasy and thank you for your awesome work!
I got a C1+, played with it for awhile and want to share my impressions as well as to ask few questions.The overall impression is very positive, especially from the box that little.

However I also had the same issue DEcosse had with updating to a last version (no video). I think that was my mistake -- looks like I just took too old img version from start-- fresh reinstalling 6.95.9 and upgrading to Final went just fine.
Also, I can tell that the picture is a little bit too dark on my Panasonic plasma with blacks clipped, but I found no knobs to rotate))) So far I just added some brightness via OSD menu and saved it as a default. Not sure it's the best way out... My TV set seem to use 16:235 range and I don't know how to tell the C1 not to go lover that 16...
.vob playback is very disappointing. I don't have much DVD stuff but some things simply don't exist in HD yet. Is there any chance Amlogic guys may fix this in an observable future?
CEC works, but sometimes it doubles some clicks from the TV remote.

But, in spite of few drawbacks, C1+ appears to be a great box with incredible community support. That's a pity OpenELEC has no official build for it, however their reasons are fully understandable.

Thanx!
Cheers.

I've actually pulled a bunch of patches out of the Kernel for the next release as I'm not going to be taking on responsibility for increased USB WiFi and USB DVB Tuner compatibility from this point onwards. Its far too time consuming, plus I don't have the USB Hardware to test.

This usb Kernel compatibility work is squarely up to HardKernel to support themselves. You either buy their dirt cheap usb Peripherals for 100% compatibility or ask usb compatibility questions on their forum before hardware purchases. This also Applies to the new S905 C2 Hardware as well.

I actually had to turn the Brightness and Sharpness down on my LED TV, as some of the S805's picture processing was a bit too much for normal TV settings. I've not seen a Limited Range, 16:235 setting or patch for any of the AMLogic Kernels.

As for mpeg2 vob movie DVDRips, yes I'm aware of the playback problems. The S812-H in the WeTek Core seems to Software decode this combo properly, likely due to the fact it has a bang up to date S8xx AMLogic Kernel and a better GPU/VPU. The C1(+), S8xx Kernel looks like it still needs some work. Yes I'm hassling HardKernel about this as well. They need get with the update program !

Thanks for the reply.

LED TV's are usually too bright to me, same for led monitors)) Plasma is well known for not being too bright. With OSS drivers I would make some adjustments with xrandr. I tried 4 different hw with my TV -- all output different pictures and needed different setups. Looks like every player/TV combination needs to be fine-tuned. Pity there's no knobs around the driver to play with... but I finally worked out the picture I like with minimal clipping. Looks like a workaround but I can live with it...

Looking forward to possible .vob fix... Actually I was aware of this problem whey buying C1 but did not expect it to be this ugly... unwatchable for me... while hevc 90 mbps goes smooth.... very strange, isn't it?
Go into Video OSD settings and turn Deinterlacing to OFF and set as Default for all videos.
This partially fixes some of the DVD movie rips ff-mpeg2 vob software decoding ugliness.

Normal mpeg2 Broadcast TV will still deinterlace as it uses amcodec decoding and the Hardware VPU deinterlacer.

Cheers!

When playing a bluray saved on a PC HDD over NFS I experience a minor shuttering once in 10-15 minutes -- which is quite strange, because every part of the system (PC disk, network, video acceleration) is capable enough in terms of throughput to process at least twice as much. Test files are played smoothly up to 90M/s (however they are much shorter than 10 minutes). I currently use 15M buffer size (via advancedsettings.xml), 2 buffers (which is the default -- I didn't touch it). Are there any tweaks I may try to avoid it (given that I have no idea where may be an issue)? What buffer size is reasonable and safe, provided there is not too much spare RAM available? I'm quite sure it's my shiny C1+ to blame, for other devices play this file back smoothly.
Another strange thing, when I played back FPS tests they shutter for the first few seconds, then go completely smooth till the very end (all but 25 fps. Looks like my TV doesn't support this rate). I don't feel that's a problem, just curious: seems like C1 or the TV set needs quite a time to negotiate and adjust the refresh rate...
All these video sync anomalies you see are due to the AML S8xx Kernel's - Frame Rate Automation process.
Whereby the HDMI video clock is manipulated to provide near perfect video sync for 23.976fps (24/1001) video output, and consequently activate your TV's 24p Movie Mode as well. It sometimes takes a few seconds to adjust sync.

Notice how I said "Near perfect". On S8xx AML devices this is not absolutely 100% accurate and you may notice a Frame Drop about once every 30 minutes. Some may notice more than others depending on your TV's video settings, like how aggressive Motion Smoothing is set as well.

Having said that there is a 23Hz (aka AMLogic's name for 1080p/23.976fps) pixel patch required to bug fix 23Hz HDMI timing in S8xx AML Kernels as well. That is now back in this OE release. I mistakingly left it out for the last few releases.
You may notice improved 23.976fps video sync.

If I'm not dreaming OE Kodi speed may have improved a bit as well. All pretty snappy ! Smile

OpenELEC-Odroid-C1-6.95.9.1.Jarvis.16.1rc1.tar update file HERE

You can even use a 150MB video cache easily as OE will still have spare memory even with that setting.
The C1's GigaE ethernet is pretty quick filling that cache up as well, especially over NFS Smile

(2016-03-06, 13:17)wrxtasy Wrote: ...
OpenELEC-Odroid-C1-6.95.9.1.Jarvis.16.1rc1.tar update file HERE

You can even use a 150MB video cache easily as OE will still have spare memory even with that setting.
The C1's GigaE ethernet is pretty quick filling that cache up as well, especially over NFS Smile

Thanks a lot for this release and your Support here Smile
Thanks wrxtasy, your answer is very thorough as always)))

Actually I had a thought that the network part may be responsible for a shuttering due to lack of buffer space or something like this, given that my server may not feed it 100% in time due to another disk activity (torrents etc.). (I experimented with different schedulers on my home server few years ago when Dune HD, which had 100M ethernet, shows a similar behaviour. The deadline scheduler, that was the fastest back then, gave a dropout in performance every 5 min. It most probably was a sync rate: when the kernel started to sync, it interfered with NFS causing the issue. CFS, being like 5-7% slower, behaves smoothly though. Also, I got better results with NFS over UDP than over TCP. I'm not sure if it's of any value with Gigabit ethernet, that's why I asked). And yes -- no SMB allowed at my place. Only linux, only hardcore Smile

Will try out the new release and post my impressions.

Meanwhile there are more few questions arouse.
First of all, are you planning some kind of stable releases? (UPD: I obviously can use zalaare's build. Silly me Blush) I'm very impressed how this tiny thing perform. However my feeling is it lucks some stability at the moment. I can use it myself without a problem, but thought about recommending it to few friends as a home solution. Having given my C1+ a thorough test I discovered it's not completely ready for a show yet. The main disadvantage is it tends to loose stability when I start to intensively jump over the file. It sustains small jumps +-10s rather well, but 10min or the next/previous chapter don't work properly -- now and then I experienced the movie was stuck until the next jump enforced, or a black/heavily corrupted screen, or even jumps to a random location. I'm afraid it's a driver issue and therefore is beyond your scope, but if not, please let me know what info may be useful to debug. (I didn't look into the logs yet to see if there are error messages there).

Second, I'm curious if any of flash-frienly file systems are available in OpenELEC kernel. The C1 doesn't have a power switch, and when powered from the TV over USB cord, switching the TV off causes C1 power loss, which is not the thing ext4 loves. Btrfs or f2fs are much more tolerant to such situations, even if we won't look at cell wearing and all this stuff, so there may be a reason to use them instead.

Thanks!

UPD: I noticed a similar behaviour on my other device (intel) with development build. I rolled back to a latest stable release (6.0.3) and found that it behaves much better when seeking to a random place. (However it fails sometimes, too (quite rarely) and I can see errors in the log). I also checked the local net speed just to be sure. It's fine. So some commits made after that version are to blame. I'll do some more research tomorrow with debug mode activated and provide the logs. Please suggest if I shall do it in this thread or somewhere else, for it doesn't seem to be odroid-specific problem. I will also check zalaare's stable build on C1 to check how it behaves.

UPD2: Having updated linux on my server it looks like the seeking problem has mysteriously gone... well, I've been jumping over the few movies severely and managed to get a black screen with only sound just once, and a couple of times -- artifacts in the upper part of screen after seeking to another chapter. Looks like it's okay now. Sorry for the false alarm.

UPD3: Tried out the new version you posted. Plays smooth, I didn't noticed that kind of shuttering I saw before. Looks like the patch is helpful Smile
Hi,

Somthing is still different in the Kernel compared to running the box with android and the android kernel.
I've installed just to test rthe android Image. Set in the Odroid utility the governer to preformance, the cpu to 1,7xGhz and installed Kodi 16.1 RC1 on it. Made it with XBMC Launcher, the Launcher Application.
The speed of the GUI is far more fluent and most important, there is absolutely no crash at all running the ODROID with that speed setting compared to openelec, where I need to run at 1,5xGHz to stay without a crash.

I'm happy right now I must say, so no need for any changes from my side, just wanted to let you know.
Thanks again for all your hard work.

Regards
Vlaves
Another OE update, seems stable to me even with a Max Overclock, running off a Class 6 Sandisk SD card.
I'm using a lowly iPhone charger for power supply with a usb dvb Tuner and externally powered HDD plugged in.

OE 6.95.9.2 Kodi Jarvis 16.1rc2 HERE

@wrxtasy
I'm not sure but the latest one's intefrace appears less snappy to me then 6.95.9.1. Maybe I'm wrong... However it is stable so far in spite of overclocking (I've had some issues with insufficient power and incompatible SD card that caused random fails before and were quite hard to detect).

BTW, I have some console output over the interface now and then. Sometimes when I switch the TV on I've three lines on the screen about HDMI sink that disappear in a few seconds:
Fixing to HDMI mode
Sink is HDMI device
No sink attached

Also when shutting down it shows the shutdown log sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. Can I get rid of this messages somehow?

And again -- thank you!
Is it usual to see that my Sony TV remote with cec works much better then my 5$ ODROID IR Remote? It seems to be a bit too slow and not really responsive compared to CEC. Am I missing something and have to do something to optimize the Odroid remote (I like its simple design and would like to use it)? I know it's a 5$ remote...

Btw, thanks wrxtasy, your OE builds are amazing.
(2016-03-24, 11:12)kanyck Wrote: @wrxtasy
I'm not sure but the latest one's intefrace appears less snappy to me then 6.95.9.1. Maybe I'm wrong... However it is stable so far in spite of overclocking (I've had some issues with insufficient power and incompatible SD card that caused random fails before and were quite hard to detect).

BTW, I have some console output over the interface now and then. Sometimes when I switch the TV on I've three lines on the screen about HDMI sink that disappear in a few seconds:
Fixing to HDMI mode
Sink is HDMI device
No sink attached

Also when shutting down it shows the shutdown log sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. Can I get rid of this messages somehow?

And again -- thank you!

There was a GUI tearing fix that stopped the tearing, but also (at least to me) appeared to reduce the fluidity of the GUI a little. Wonder if the older version you are comparing with didn't have that?
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S8051