Centralized Setting for Kodi and Add-Ons
Hi,

I have a system (NAS Drive) with all my media. This device also runs MySQL for sharing video database.

I would like to suggest the following:

- Have centralized location (MySQL?) where you can create different client profiles. You can configure all Kodi setting in these profiles. Then individual clients can connect to the central DB to get these settings. This will allow users to install vanilla Kodi, give it s profile name and rest can then be downloaded automatically based on the pre-configured profile.

- Have central repository for Add-on configuration. Perhaps, you can configure them with profiles mentioned above? Add-Ons can simply be downloaded/installed based on the selected profile.

- These profile configurations can be configured via a web interface

- Perhaps, you could configure a Kodi client and then export its configuration as a profile to be used from a central location.

May be I am leaning towards a Kodi client/server configuration.

Thanks for listening to my rambling. :-)
Something like this might work, I haven't tested it though.

EDIT: removed
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Never use that ^^
It can break your system
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Rather than editing XML files manually, I am thinking something like: after the installation and upon first run, you are given a choice of local database and setting or provide server name/IP address to get this information from. Whatever information or profile settings are available on the server, use them. Any settings that are not available on the server will be considered not configured and local default settings will be used.

Concept is similar to Windows Domain. You can configure policies on the domain. Upon login those settings are used by the clients. Any settings not used/enforced by the domain controller fall back to local policies.
I don't know if there's been any work done on this, but I think what you are describing is what we're looking at doing in the future for the add-ons website: http://addons.xbmc.org

I imagine such a system would allow both online and local network settings management. At least, in theory, as I think all of this is only in the idea stage right now.
Thanks Ned. I am happy with it being at the initial discussion stage. As long as someone is talking about it, I guess it may materialize in a release someday. :-)
A work around for the short term might be to use the backup add-on. It won't really sync settings, but you can make a backup of your "defaults" for new devices.
How much can be changed with the JSON API?? If it is enough (Or could be added to) it could be a short jump to being able to configure systems based off of hardware profiles over JSON. Or at least this is what I had in mind, as well as adding addons/repos automaticly with configurations using the same approach. Could be integrated with the headless kodi work as well as with a web frontend. Just my .02
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
I think JSON almost covers all of it, but there's a couple of things here and there that are still being worked on to make it complete. I'm not sure about the details on it, though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Centralized Setting for Kodi and Add-Ons0