How to stop fullscreen windowed mode from taking focus?
I get better performance with "use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" checked than without it. Menu transitions are laggy in true mode and butter smooth in fullscreen windowed mode. I don't know why this is but it's always been that way. There is also a bug that stops the Windows screensaver from working if using true fullscreen mode.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=206927

With that being said, I don't like the way fullscreen windowed mode behaves. If I winkey+d to the desktop and minimize it, Kodi always comes back into focus when anything else is opened, such as a Windows explorer window. This makes it impossible to drag and drop a file to copy or do anything that requires focus. How can I make Kodi stay minimized when not in use like it does in true fullscreen mode? I looked through the advancedsettings config and can't find anything.

Thanks!
Did you use something like Kodilauncher? It automatically check for focus on Kodi by default.
That would fix the issue? I'm not really keen on doing a whole 3rd party application if this can be changed within Kodi itself.
I meant it never happened to me when using Kodi in true fullscreen window mode. Your problem is different from others which is other apps (windows update / notification etc.) steal focus from Kodi and Kodilauncher is one app that monitors and change focus back to Kodi.

Your problem is other way around. Kodilauncher wouldn't fix that but I just wonder if you use that app for other reason like replace windows shell to Kodi / Custom MCE remote mappings / Autostart Kodi from resume etc.
Your issue is definitely not normal. Are you running any other applications at the time?
(2014-12-19, 16:43)kricker Wrote: Your issue is definitely not normal. Are you running any other applications at the time?
That was kind of my point. Clicking on anything- Firefox, Windows explorer, calculator, notepad, ect. to bring that program/item in focus also brings Kodi out of minimize back into fullscreen.

Here is an example. Kodi is minimized to task manager so that all I can see is my desktop. I click to open the calculator and Kodi comes back into focus behind it...

Are you saying this doesn't happen to you?
If Kodi is running fullscreen either in windowed or true fullscreen mode it will unminimize when any action on the PC is taken. If you put it in window mode by hitting the "\" key, you can minimize it and it will stay minimized. You can have it in that window mode and maximize the window, but you will still the windows title bar across the top.
Why does it behave that way? WMC appears to use windowed fullscreen but stays minimized when any action on the pc is taken.

If this is working "as intended", then I've got to question the reasoning on this. It's incredibly annoying to have Kodi pop up every time you are trying to do something else on the computer. Maybe something could be added to advancedsettings.xml to change that behavior if you don't consider this a "bug".

I don't know why it behaves that way. It is a known behavior and yes we know it is not the most desired behavior. It has something to do with the video playback. A developer would have to explain why. Currently the best option you have is to hit the "\" key to get into a window, then minimize that.
That sucks.

Any idea why I get significantly worse menu performance/transitions in fullscreen exclusive than I do in windowed fullscreen? Everything I've read says it should be the opposite but that is not true in my case. I have a pretty decent system. G1820, HD7850, 8GB ram, Windows 8.1.

Everything is perfectly smooth in windowed fullscreen, but going in and out of menus, hitting info button to load cover art, ect. there is a slight hitch with FSE mode where everything is laggy in transition while it loads the new information.

I basically have two options at this point:
-Use FSE mode and get poor menu performance and Windows screen saver doesn't work when minimized (I have a plasma and need it to come on)
-Use windowed fullscreen and have Kodi pop up and get in the way any time I try to do anything

Neither of these are very exciting options.
I would guess it has to do with the AMD drivers more than anything. As you noted you should actually get better performance when using true fullscreen mode.
Maybe try some older/newer drivers.
Ya, I've tried every driver under the sun and it's always been the same as long as I've used XBMC (4-5 years). The lag is really bad unless I mess with dirty regions. Using this but it's still not completely smooth 100% of the time in FSE.

Code:
<gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <nofliptimeout>1000</nofliptimeout>
</gui>

I love XBMC but there is always something that doesn't work right. As I've been told the Windows side of development has really been lacking for awhile now.
We are in need of Windows developers. If you know of any especially ones with DX knowledge please send them over Wink
Did you try to switch to advanced settings and de-select 'use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen' ?

That solved the problem for me!
Funny, we currently have a lot of windows issues, even more funny: 95% of those issues involve AMD gpu drivers :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to stop fullscreen windowed mode from taking focus?1