[MOD] 1080XF Font Mod (Futura / Segoe UI / Paneuropa Neue)
Hi,

As a long time user of the work in progress Immersive Skin and a general fan of the flat Metro asthetic, I'm glad I stumbled upon 1080XF as it feels a lot faster and more stable than the already very good Immersive skin. The one thing I personally didn't like was the original font choice - while Open Sans is fine, the condensed version wouldn't have been my first choice at all.

I think Metro's design principles work best with a simple sans-serif, geometric font, which is why I made this very simple font mod that offers 3 alternatives to the original font:

- Futura (the classic geometric font, never gets old - comes in two sizes here, for big screen or desktop use)
- Segoe UI (for those who like to stick to Microsoft's original font choice for Metro)
- Paneuropa Neue (a finer, more elegant alternative to Futura that has a slight grotesque touch to it)

Installation

1. copy the fonts from this "/fonts" to your "skin.1080xf/fonts/" (only the new fonts are included, so make sure you keep the original Open Sans and Roboto fonts)
2. backup your "Font.xml" in "skin.1080xf/1080i/" - just in case, the original fontset is included in my file though
3. copy/replace "Font.xml" from this "/1080i" to your "skin.1080xf/1080i"

Download
Removed due to licensing limitations of Segoe UI and Futura. Sorry about that.

Preview

watch gallery
Be careful with Segoe, unless you have a license for it. Futura has a complicated license, so again be careful. Paneuropa is fine, from what I can see.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-12-26, 04:30)Piers Wrote: Be careful with Segoe, unless you have a license for it. Futura has a complicated license, so again be careful. Paneuropa is fine, from what I can see.

Oh god, I didn't even think about the licensing issues in this context. Of course, after reading up on the Segoe UI licensing terms, it turns out that the font is not available for use on non-microsoft platforms and therefore can't be redistributed in software, like XBMC. Futura, naturally, would also require an app license which isn't worth it for a small mod like this. Paneuropa Neue is indeed free to use though.

Well, I should take the mod down and see if there are open source alternatives for those fonts. Open Sans (not condensed) is already a good Segoe UI alternative, but Futura is such a distinctive classic that it's hard to replace it. I'll see what I can come up with.

In any case thanks for the heads up.
I may be wrong but I don't think there is any problems in you providing this as a mod for other users. Problems would occur if you wanted the fonts included in the official repo version but that does not seem to be the intention. The same can be said for sounds etc.
The license of the files used (first two) doesn't allow distribution in any form.

(2014-12-27, 13:39)im85288 Wrote: I may be wrong but I don't think there is any problems in you providing this as a mod for other users. Problems would occur if you wanted the fonts included in the official repo version but that does not seem to be the intention. The same can be said for sounds etc.

Piers is right. Futura would require an App License, which would be insane for an open source mod. Segoe UI is not licensable for distribution on non-windows systems at all.

I removed the link. Feel free to take the screenshots as inspiration though.

It may not be on Piers' Top Priority list, but maybe you'd like to consider adding the normal Open Sans font as an alternative choice. I rarely see a point to condensed fonts - they mostly look wrong to me, but that's just me.
What about just distributing the fonts.xml and tell people to dl the fonts themselves ?
You need to make sure any font has support for: ★ otherwise you'll get []

(2014-12-30, 23:48)thirdsun Wrote:
(2014-12-27, 13:39)im85288 Wrote: I may be wrong but I don't think there is any problems in you providing this as a mod for other users. Problems would occur if you wanted the fonts included in the official repo version but that does not seem to be the intention. The same can be said for sounds etc.

Piers is right. Futura would require an App License, which would be insane for an open source mod. Segoe UI is not licensable for distribution on non-windows systems at all.

I removed the link. Feel free to take the screenshots as inspiration though.

It may not be on Piers' Top Priority list, but maybe you'd like to consider adding the normal Open Sans font as an alternative choice. I rarely see a point to condensed fonts - they mostly look wrong to me, but that's just me.

Thanks, I added the Open Sans regular as an option in my version and agree it does seem easier to read/look at.
You should look at Lato. It is (in my opinion) superior to Open Sans.
Admin @ Passion-XBMC
(official french community)
(2015-01-06, 00:07)Maxoo Wrote: You should look at Lato. It is (in my opinion) superior to Open Sans.

Thanks, Just added it along with Montserrat which I thought looked pretty nice
(2015-01-06, 13:33)im85288 Wrote:
(2015-01-06, 00:07)Maxoo Wrote: You should look at Lato. It is (in my opinion) superior to Open Sans.

How are you handling the star character?

(2015-01-07, 01:19)Piers Wrote:
(2015-01-06, 13:33)im85288 Wrote:

How are you handling the star character?

I haven't spotted any issues yet with the star character, but I have used actual star images in most places in my version (eg IMDb star and the actual star ratings as it can be shown more accurately)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOD] 1080XF Font Mod (Futura / Segoe UI / Paneuropa Neue)0