Do you compress your bluray rips?
For me, it really depends on the movie. For something like transformers or Godzilla I will retain the full video and audio. For something like "A walk among the tombstones" I would compress because the type of content doesn't really warrant pristine audio/video. At least for my viewing pleasure.

To sum it up

special effects spectacle = no compression.
regular movie with mild effects = some compression.
I used to compress my Blu-ray collections with BDMagic, what I did is to save all these Blu-rays to MP4 video so they can be transferred to my smartphone and tablet for carrying and watching anytime I like.
BDMAGIC is crapware no one should waste their money on. You can do everything BDMAGIC does and more with free tools.
(2015-02-10, 19:01)ikecomp Wrote: For me, it really depends on the movie. For something like transformers or Godzilla I will retain the full video and audio. For something like "A walk among the tombstones" I would compress because the type of content doesn't really warrant pristine audio/video. At least for my viewing pleasure.

To sum it up

Doing yourself a disservice.
You can get imperceptible difference at 15mbit for virtually any source excluding grainy footage using x264 "veryslow" preset and "tune film", not even needing to mess with anything else.
Grainy sources, however bad, yet to find one that needs over 20mbit, viewing on an 85 inch LED.

More than anything the decising factor should be time, because that's an absolute figure and encoding a large number of movies takes forever.
The thing is Robo, I can taste things that many others cannot. I assume that some people can perceive things that I cannot. It could be they imagine it too. I don't know.

The point is none of us have a dog in the hunt how someone else rips their library. In the end the only thing that matters is we are all happy with our methods.
My 2 pennies - I'd take compression ALL THE WAY. Those who claim to see a difference between an original Blu-Ray (still x264 compressed BTW) and an RF 18 or 20 compression using 'film' preset in HB must be super human. Because I cannot tell on a 120" projection screen and a 60" plasma from a few feet. And I do image processing and analysis for a living......

The issue I have is this. You can talk all you want about hard drives being 'cheap' - but their maintenance is not. Also their configuration for such collections requires some level of RAID or more sophisticated clustering. This is a much more time consuming issue once your collection starts growing.

Here is my example. I have 500 (roughly - I think 490 or so) movies in my collection that are all MKVs running between 3-12Gb in size. They all fit nicely on 2x 2Tb NTFS formatted drives. No RAID, nothing special. You also must consider BACKUP - so I have those same movies on a FlexRAID setup that is below half full at 4Tb (14 capacity).

If these were all original files ripped from MakeMKV they would average about 25Gb each - bringing the required drive space to 25Tb!!!!!! From 8! Now for a 12.5Tb requirement I would NEED a RAID setup on my server and require 3x as many drives. 6x the drive space including backup. Not including a different case and machine to house all this.

I don't care how cheap they are - that is just unnecessary.....
I don't totally agree with you,
I do see difference if the files are compressed.
But it also depends on what kind of movies.
With slow movies drama, comedy I don't see a big difference or any but fast action scenes and movies with dark scenes I do sometimes see grain or even worse bad black values.
Then it also depends on which audio you decide to use.
If you only use stereo or ac3 5.1 then the audio file is much smaller so you need less compression for your video file.
But do you want to use hd audio or even several audio tracks then you would need to compress the video file much more
What could result in a worse quality.
Then it depends what kind of hardware you got.
If you got a low powered system, nas or server it could take hours to encode a video file.
For me having a low powered MicroServer the best and fastest solution is to remux my connection.
Choose uncompressed video, choose the audio and subs I prefer and done no menus or extras.
This could narrow down a Blu-ray between 15-30 GB.
And it takes like 5-10 minutes on my low powered system.
Don't need a backup.
If a harddrive fails I just take the original and Remux it again that takes less time then re-encode 1 movie.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
My take is, even with a Blu Ray, you already have a xerox of a xerox. I hate giving up quality.

MakeMKV remux without all of the BLOATware content is all the trimming I need.
Storage is cheap.
Time and Enjoyment is precious.

AND THERE ARE VISIBLE DIFFERENCES. (and measurable too, I'm no audiophile)..

Really, as storage, processing power, and bandwidth continue their Mores Law march, the need for compression will decline.

and the unfortunate soul that that chooses 3 GB files rather than 30 GB files will be left with a xerox of a xerox of a xerox of a xerox..
(2015-04-24, 04:01)jkirk Wrote: My 2 pennies - I'd take compression ALL THE WAY. Those who claim to see a difference between an original Blu-Ray (still x264 compressed BTW) and an RF 18 or 20 compression using 'film' preset in HB must be super human. Because I cannot tell on a 120" projection screen and a 60" plasma from a few feet. And I do image processing and analysis for a living......
If that is so, the rhetorucal question is: why are blurays produced at all? The 9G available on a DVD would be enough.

Having said that most of my bluray sourced material is recompressed and I am happy with it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-10, 19:01)ikecomp Wrote: For me, it really depends on the movie. For something like transformers or Godzilla I will retain the full video and audio. For something like "A walk among the tombstones" I would compress because the type of content doesn't really warrant pristine audio/video. At least for my viewing pleasure.

To sum it up

I'd have to agree with it all depending on the movie, but no compression I only reserve for my absolute favourite special effects spectacles.

As for the very common argument of...

(2015-04-25, 01:19)smitopher Wrote: Storage is cheap.

I don't know. The last hard drive I bought for my NAS was more expensive than my Broadwell i3 NUC, I guess it all comes down to what each of us considers to be "cheap".
I don't compress at all. I 4k upscale an original Blu-ray and raise the bitrate. Considering only 1 audio, video, and subtitle track are placed in a matroska container, a 45GB rip will typically grow to 60GB. Visually, myself and others see a huge difference and I can still stream it WiFi. Out of curiosity, how do your compressed rips look during long panning scenes like the opening scene of Cowboys and Aliens or The Wrestler?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Why not get kodi to upscale it?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Afaik, Kodi will only upscale low res video like standard def or 720p to 1080p? Does it upscale 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 somehow? That's what I'm doing.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
It scales video to whatever screen it is using. Whether the quality is as good as whatever encoding software you are using is the question I guess.
(2015-04-25, 02:17)brazen1 Wrote: I don't compress at all. I 4k upscale an original Blu-ray and raise the bitrate. Considering only 1 audio, video, and subtitle track are placed in a matroska container, a 45GB rip will typically grow to 60GB. Visually, myself and others see a huge difference and I can still stream it WiFi.

This is trolling... RIGHT? Some kind of satire? He CAN'T be serious...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do you compress your bluray rips?0