SPMC has 2 versions Non Launch and Launcher. What is difference?
I just realized that the latest version of SPMC comes in 2 flavours. A non launcher version and a launcher version. Can someone tell me what the difference is. I currently use FIREDTV on my 2 amazon boxes and it's quite kludgy and I often find my family making mistakes (accidentally hitting the home button and getting varied results).

Based on the name, does the launcher version of SPMC handle this better or is it something all together different. I went poking around a bit (Koying's page), Google and searching here and didn't immediately come across any information. Hoping you can straighten me out in short order.

Thanks,

Roveer
If your device is rooted then you can set SPMC as a launcher for all the Android apps, and it will open SPMC when ever you hit the Home button. If you are not rooted then it makes no difference.
Just a small precision: Needing to be rooted to use the launcher is specific to the Amazon Fire TV (and probably Android TV, didn't try) platforms.
Installing new launcher is a normal operation on standard android.
(2014-12-28, 05:21)Ned Scott Wrote: If your device is rooted then you can set SPMC as a launcher for all the Android apps, and it will open SPMC when ever you hit the Home button. If you are not rooted then it makes no difference.

Just a small point of clarification. I remember reading that FTV's (which is what I use), could only be rooted in the early versions of the device and before software updates have been applied. Is this still the case? All of my FTV's are recent and the first thing that they do when you connect and configure them is to download and apply updates.

Is there anyway to root these devices and use the launcher version?

Right now I use the firedTV workaround and it's not the easiest for my family to understand. Just can't keep them from hitting that darned home button every once in a while.

Roveer

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SPMC has 2 versions Non Launch and Launcher. What is difference?0