Jerky, unwatchable playback in Kodi 14.0
That's odd. It's perfect all the way through for me (watched a movie end to end last night). There might be something else going on.

Debug logs would be helpful if you're willing.
I have the same issue, Kodi 14 official build Mac Mini 2011 2.7, unwatchable jerky 24p, sync to display setting. Woks perfectly with my old copy of xbmc 12.3 that I still have left on my machine.

Hope it get fixed.
Try this testbuild and report back:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/osx/...x86_64.dmg

Instead of sync to display you should enable refreshrate adaption instead (which switches your display to 24hz).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I have both engaged, thought that was implied by the thread. Works perfectly on old builds on 24p material. I will try the testbuild or wait for the official update.
both influences each other in a bad way - either sync to display or refreshrate adaption can work (the latter with my testbuild should but without feedback it will never be accepted in mainline code...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I dont really know what you are saying.. it works perfectly on both XBMC 12.3 and 13.2 both of which I have still on my system/ computer, mac mini. (as separate "apps", same "shared" "xbmc" user folder.
For 24p material I use this:
"Adjust display rate to match video", for showing the 24 and "Sync playback to display", is for adjusting/resampling the 23.97 to 24p for ultra smooth showing on the mac, as mac cant show the 23.97fps ( I have the same settings on Plex as well +xbmc 12.3,13.2)

I think it has something to do with dropping of analog sound? (in Kodi build) and the "Default" (just) in not available in the settings..?
I have no idea why it is happening but its a big issue for me and it limits the use of Kodi quite a bit when watching 24p movies. ( and series)
Thanks.

EDIT: I tried your build now, it didnt help my issue anything unfortunately.
I have done som extra digging into my issue by pressing the O on video playback to get up the video info and it looks like it is really interesting..

I took a couple of photos to show you what it displays.

This is the XBMC 13.2 playback photo

And this is the Kodi 14 playback photo

In the XBMC as far as I can tell it says/displays that it is receiving 23.97 video and showing a clean 24p video. No issues there.
My tv signal info also show a 1080 24p info.

But now it gets interesting.. the Kodi 14 shows a 23.87 in signal but it displays it as 60.00 fps.. even though I have it set as a 24p in the Kodi menu and that the TV still! shows it displays a 1080 24p signal... puzzling.
Both have "Adjust display rate to match video" and "Sync playback to display" on and shows 1080 24p in the tv info graphics.

I someone could help me that would be nice..

Yeah it is similar issue as this post in another thread.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1882514

I want "Sync playback to display" to work in 24p mode, is it fixable?
Can you first tell me if it works with only refreshrate adaption turned on and sync playback to display off?
Memphiz, if we're really supposed to not use both options, how do we get the audio to stay in sync if the display can't do exactly 23.976Hz? The closest I can get for my Mac mini is 23.977Hz, which means it will go out of sync over time if I don't resample the audio.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you?
(2015-01-16, 12:20)Memphiz Wrote: Can you first tell me if it works with only refreshrate adaption turned on and sync playback to display off?
Yes it works with, "Adjust display rate to match video", I have never had an issue with that on kodi unlike, I see some others in this thread, my issue is with both engaged.
Thanks.
(2015-01-16, 16:23)jingai Wrote: Memphiz, if we're really supposed to not use both options, how do we get the audio to stay in sync if the display can't do exactly 23.976Hz? The closest I can get for my Mac mini is 23.977Hz, which means it will go out of sync over time if I don't resample the audio.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you?

That is correct, these are the settings:

Quote:These settings are recommended if you cannot get video to sync up to the TV properly with Adjust refresh rate switched ON:

Kodi > System > Settings > Video > Playback:

- Adjust display refresh rate to match video - OFF
- Sync playback to display - ON
- A/V sync method - Video clock (Resample audio)

All Macs prior to the late 2014 Intel Haswell microarchitecture equipped ones cannot achieve perfect 23.976fps sync.
(aka the Intel 24p bug)
The Sandy Bridge ones are worse than the ones that followed. On Intel Ivy Bridge, the issue is virtually fixed.

So you're saying it can only Sync to Display if the display is 60Hz?

I mean, if I enter Kodi with the display resolution set to 24Hz, it won't work even without Adjust Refresh Rate?

If it *does* work, then... why? What is the difference if Kodi changes the resolution vs the OS?

And does this mean that 50Hz displays are just SoL? That doesn't make sense..

Furthermore, if the two options are explicitly conflicting, why does enabling one not disable the other? I'm really confused. They are two entirely separate things. One is to just adjust the resolution, and the other is to keep the audio in sync with it by resampling it. Why does it matter what the target refresh rate is?
Perfect 23.976fps aka 24p video from Mac to TV requires:

1. An Intel Haswell CPU equipped Mac for perfect sync, an Ivy Bridge CPU Mac will virtually be as good.
2. A TV capable of identifying and displaying 24p video
3. Adjust display refresh rate to match video - ON

If this does not work then yes there if a Bug in Kodi 14.0

24p video to a 60Hz display has to undergo a technique called a 3:2 pulldown that adds extra frames and causes minor juddering in the picture when the camera pans left to right. Most people likely do not even notice. Some are sensitive.
Kodi than has Sync to display and resample Audio to keep everything timed correctly.

24p video to a 50Hz display, video gets sped up slightly to 25Hz, Audio gets resampled resulting in higher pitched sounds

I've just ran a test on my 2011 i5 iMac with Kodi 14.1RC1 with both options enabled displaying to 60 Hz display.
Video is 23.976fps, and this results in the 3:2 pulldown as explained above. Video is not Jerky. You cannot set the Kodi GUI to 24Hz on an iMac and get acceptable video results, the iMac screen will handle 50Hz and 60Hz. 24Hz is out of the question.

To get back to Gotham:
(copy and paste the ~)

OSX Finder > Go > Go to folder > ~/Library/Application Support > find Kodi folder > Right Click > Duplicate > Rename to XBMC

(2015-01-17, 22:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Perfect 23.976fps aka 24p video from Mac to TV requires:

1. An Intel Haswell CPU equipped Mac for perfect sync
2. A TV capable of identifying and displaying 24p video
3. Adjust display refresh rate to match video - ON

24p video to a 60Hz display has to undergo a technique called a 3:2 pulldown that adds extra frames and causes minor juddering in the picture when the camera pans left to right. Most people likely do not even notice. Some are sensitive.

Yes, and I am such a person. I don't expect perfect 23.976Hz -- I am aware of the Intel 24p bug.

What I want is 24Hz display with audio sync'ed to that. The two options, in conjunction, by their descriptions, should get what I want.

But what you were suggesting -- that the two options are mutually exclusive -- implies that Kodi is unable to keep audio in sync with anything but 60Hz. By that, I mean that if I uncheck the "Adjust Refresh Rate" option and enter Kodi with the display already set to 24Hz, it should be no different than having Kodi adjust it.

(2015-01-17, 22:01)wrxtasy Wrote: 24p video to a 50Hz display, video gets sped up slightly to 25Hz, Audio gets resampled resulting in higher pitched sounds

If it is able to sync audio to 25Hz, then why not 24Hz?

(2015-01-17, 22:01)wrxtasy Wrote: I've just ran a test on my 2011 i5 iMac with Kodi 14.1RC1 with both options enable displaying to 60 Hz display.
Video is 23.976fps, and this results in the 3:2 pulldown as explained above. Video is not Jerky. You cannot set an iMac running Kodi to 24Hz and get acceptable video results.
(copy and paste the ~)

That's just it. With the test build in this thread, the results are acceptable (i.e., it works for me), but I'm being told that this is an invalid configuration, and I'm pressing the issue so I understand why.
(2015-01-17, 22:15)jingai Wrote: What I want is 24Hz display with audio sync'ed to that. The two options, in conjunction, by their descriptions, should get what I want.
It may well be still related to the Intel 24p bug. I don't have an answer.
The Devs hopefully will know more about OSX Kodi and 23.976fps > 24p.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jerky, unwatchable playback in Kodi 14.00