Kodi crashes on music library scan
Hi,

I did a fresh Kodi 14.0 installation. Added my locally stored music collection and started scanning. Somewhere halfway, in my flac library, Kodi crashes. I tried to collect logs, but failed.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? Or maybe found a solution?

***EDIT***
I found an album which crashes kodi on scan. Here is a dropbox link to test: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lnxwsgi2uqk51...D9qpa?dl=0

***EDIT***
Most likely a flac file issue

***EDIT***
Ticket: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15669
I installed Kodi on my nexus 7 and scanned the music there. No issues!
Anyone having the same issue as me? I feel so lonely :-P
I found an album which crashes kodi on scan. Here is a dropbox link to test: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lnxwsgi2uqk51...D9qpa?dl=0

Can anyone test please?
Yes same thing happened for me!
With these same files or your own?
It is definitely a flac issue. I have a big mp3 and flac library. And all my mp3 files got scanned without issues. But some flac files gave issues.
its because there is no Artist field. Fill out your tags properly.
(2015-01-01, 22:53)helta Wrote: its because there is no Artist field. Fill out your tags properly.
Thanks for the response.

I retagged the files, and still I have a crash. I even removed all the tags and it crashes. Every player I know can play these files. Kodi already crashes when I enter the directory where those files are located.

And even improperly tagged files shouldn't crash any program.

When I load the exact same files on my nexus 7 (2012 version) they work fine under Kodi 14.0. So does the rest of my music library.

I tested this on 2 computers already, and a friend of mine, also tried these files and it also crashes his Kodi install.

On the previous version of xbmc, my library also didn't cause any problems.
Come on guys, nobody can give me a lead on how to solve this issue? Or is it already in progress to be fixed?
debug log
The problem is 100% the tags. Specifically, all or some component of the ID3 tags included with your flac files.

Using the sample download that CypherMK posted, I was able to replicate the problem. Even just trying to browse to the folder via Files view caused Kodi to crash -- probably when it was trying to read the file metadata info.

Mp3tag identified your files as including ID3 tags, as well as normal FLAC tags. According to the FLAC faq, "some implementations [of the decoder] may not even be able to decode a FLAC file with ID3 tags".

I stripped the tags from the flac files using Mp3tag and Kodi no longer crashed. I added just the basic tags back (title, artist, album, year, album artist, genre) via Mp3tag, which wrote back just FLAC tags, and Kodi didn't crash.

Check the software that you were using to write/edit your tags and see if it has a setting to not write ID3 tags with FLAC files.

(Full disclosure for the moderators, I've completely deleted the sample files provided).
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Thank you for the reply.

I use tag & rename for tagging my files. I will check my tags again and see if I can make it work.

It is still weird that the same files pass the scanning process on my android tablet running Kodi and running Gotham on my htpc. Any comment on that?

Thanks!

(2015-01-04, 03:08)helta Wrote: debug log
I tried to make logs with this method, but failed multiple times. There were no logs sent to my inbox. I think I missed something, because I'm inexperienced with Kodi.
I tried to remove the tags with mp3tag and tagged them again with mp3tag, and now the files get recognised Smile

But when I remove the tags with tag&rename, and retag them again, the tags are not flac tags. And then kodi crashes. How to resolve this? Digging through the options of tag & rename now...
Can you please create a trac ticket http://trac.kodi.tv/ with how to reproduce, attach Debug Log and a file that causes the crash?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crashes on music library scan0