Opinions on new nuc or fire tv
Hi all
Currently have intel dn2820 as my main machine for kodi . I have a wd cloud nas (currently setting up to stream my media from)
I'm thinking of either an upgraded nuc for lounge or something for my spare room maybe even fire tv. Will mainly be used to stream from nas or occasionally live streaming.
The options I'm looking at are
Prometheus from a addon developer $250
or
Nuc with CPU 1037u from Ali express
Or
Nuc with CPU i5 4200u

I'm based in uk so don't want to spend anymore than £200 max- any guidance greatly appreciated .

If I go to the £200 budget the unit must be good for surround sound through my receiver as that is important to me.

Thanks in advance
Jamie
How important are 24p and dynamic refresh rate switching to you, do you watch interlaced content ?

NUC's are complete and utter overkill if you are just streaming video.
An overclocked Raspberry Pi will do the same job for far far less coin.

For something a bit faster either a Chromebox or Zotac BI320 (Bing Edition)
Intel NUC, Broadwell edition if you really need to decode H265 content, not worth it at this time IMHO.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214018

See links below for detailed info:
!!
!!
V

Quote:Prometheus from a addon developer $250

Whatever you do, please don't get this massive ripoff.
(2015-01-14, 07:53)Ned Scott Wrote:
Quote:Prometheus from a addon developer $250

Whatever you do, please don't get this massive ripoff.

Hi ned , how come it's a rip off? I've priced it up and it does seem maybe £20 than building myself . Think it used to be $350 which seemed a lot.

Appreciate your advice

(2015-01-14, 04:58)wrxtasy Wrote: How important are 24p and dynamic refresh rate switching to you, do you watch interlaced content ?

NUC's are complete and utter overkill if you are just streaming video.
An overclocked Raspberry Pi will do the same job for far far less coin.

For something a bit faster either a Chromebox or Zotac BI320 (Bing Edition)
Intel NUC, Broadwell edition if you really need to decode H265 content, not worth it at this time IMHO.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214018

See links below for detailed info:
!!
!!
V

Lol don't really understand what you said so guess there not important .
I've had a pi and even though clocked it was too slow especially now I'm used to a entry level nuc
Thanks
You quite clearly have you mind set on an overpriced NUC, unless you want it for more than streaming purposes.

I suggest you do some more reading too if you don't understand the first sentence of what was posted, they are pretty important especially as you are in the UK.

Good luck

No I haven't got my mind set yet , but I do want something quick .
Will have a read up like you suggested.
Thanks
I have Nuc with CPU 1037u from Ali express, mine cannot be powered on via remote, apart from that it is OK.
I also owned RPI - it has excellent video playback, GUI is little bit slow.
I did setup Chromebox (the celeron one) for my brother and it is an excellent device, shold be < £200
what's wrong with another DN2820 NUC?
(2015-01-14, 17:46)Sniffer77 Wrote: Lol don't really understand what you said so guess there not important .
I've had a pi and even though clocked it was too slow especially now I'm used to a entry level nuc
Thanks

If you care or notice picture quality they're quite important...

In Europe we broadcast TV and release DVDs at 50Hz. To watch them without juddering you need to replay them at 50Hz and feed them to your TV at 50Hz, which will then display them at 50Hz (or a multiple) to give you smooth motion. Stuff like iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and any UK TV shows you buy on DVD, or acquire through other means, will be at 25/50Hz and thus for decent quality replay you will need to play them at 50Hz.

Blu-ray movies, and lots of other content you may wish to watch, will be at 23.976Hz (sometimes called 24p) and to display these you ideally need to output them at 23.976Hz IF your TV supports native display at that refresh rate, or if not you output them at 59.94Hz (sometimes called 60Hz) with just a basic 3:2 repetition which adds a fixed judder but is the least-worst option if your TV doesn't support 23.976Hz display.

Some other US content is shot 29.97 or 59.94 and needs to be displayed at 59.94Hz for best quality.

All European/UK HDTVs will accept 50Hz and 59.94Hz inputs - and Kodi on Intel platforms and the Raspberry Pi supports automatic refresh rate switching - so it changes the output frequency between 50, 59.94/60 and 23.976/24 IF your TV supports these modes (it's an option in settings that you need to enable). The result is really good quality video playback.

Android platforms don't currently support automatic refresh rate switching. Some boxes are fixed permanently at 60Hz - meaning you get judder on all European content and 3:2 judder on 23.976Hz whether your TV accepts it or not. Others need you to manually edit the Android Display settings to change the refresh rate manually - which gets VERY boring VERY quickly.

The other thing that Android platforms are not good at is deinterlacing. If you only watch movies and 'film look' drama then this isn't an issue. However if you watch sport, entertainment, Live TV etc. then de-interlacing is really important as without it you get a picture that is jerky (as it is being displayed at half the frame rate it should be) and possibly covered with combing artefacts (where movement breaks up into lines)

(2015-01-15, 10:09)glypto Wrote: I have Nuc with CPU 1037u from Ali express, mine cannot be powered on via remote, apart from that it is OK.
I also owned RPI - it has excellent video playback, GUI is little bit slow.
I did setup Chromebox (the celeron one) for my brother and it is an excellent device, shold be < £200

The 1037U has the 24p bug - so if you don't like repeated frame judder then that isn't a good solution.

The Chromebox is based on the 2955U which doesn't have that bug, and is a very good solution. With the latest OpenElec builds you get very high quality de-interlacing (VAAPI MCDI) as well - which is brilliant. Main benefit of the NUCs over this is that they have integrated IR remote receivers and can be powered on from off, rather than just standby.
Many thanks for the informative replies .
Actually I had a ouya for a short period and I do recall picture judder so I believe I understand what you mean .

In term of performance would I see substantial improvements over my current nuc?

I was looking 1037u from Ali express but I don't fancy picture judder if that's correct.
Am I correct in thinking the dn2820 doesn't have judder as I can't recall having that issue .
The 1037U won't judder constantly (like an Android box playing 23.976H at 50Hz or 25Hz at 59.94Hz) per se, it has the 24p bug which means that material which is shot at 23.976Hz (which is most US movies, TV shows etc.) will be played at a slightly different speed, and you'll see a repeated frame (which is like a very short freeze) every so often (every 40" or so I think - though it depends on the actual output rate that the 1037U can hit - it could be less frequent). This is often called a micro stutter. It's not terrible - but when I had a 1037U-based Revo I could see it and it annoyed me.

The DN2820 doesn't have the judder, but has limited scaling and de-interlacing quality (so SD stuff scaled to HD may look a bit jaggier/blockier than it needs to and interlaced content will be reduced quality compared to the 1037U - which can do a YADIF 2x software deinterlace or the 2955U Chromebox which can do Motion Compensative de-interlacing)
Good point as I have noticed that some sd content and even 720p content on the dn2820 can look poor quality.

Can you reccomend anywhere in the uk for the chromebox ?
Not really. I imported mine from the US. The consensus is that the 2GB Asus is the best bet as it is quieter than the others and has two RAM slots not one. The others are OK though - just possibly a bit noisier and less upgradeable cheaply (though 2GB is fine for OpenElec)

The Zotac BI 320 barebones (or Win 8.1 with Bing if you can find it) and the Brix 2955U models also have the same CPU/GPU so are also similar in quality. The Chromebox has the 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM and in built Wifi and Bluetooth whilst the others don't have all of these (though the Win 8.1 with Bing version of the BI320 has a 64GB SSD on board as well as a free SATA socket. The Barebones version doesn't have the SSD OR the connector for it, so takes just a 2.5" SATA )
(2015-01-15, 12:37)noggin Wrote: The 1037U won't judder constantly (like an Android box playing 23.976H at 50Hz or 25Hz at 59.94Hz) per se, it has the 24p bug which means that material which is shot at 23.976Hz (which is most US movies, TV shows etc.) will be played at a slightly different speed, and you'll see a repeated frame (which is like a very short freeze) every so often (every 40" or so I think - though it depends on the actual output rate that the 1037U can hit - it could be less frequent). This is often called a micro stutter. It's not terrible - but when I had a 1037U-based Revo I could see it and it annoyed me.

I Agree, my 1037U box plays 23.976 content at 23.98 fps - which means dropped frame about every 5 min. It's not a big issue but can be noticed in case it happens on panning scene. Then, we are enthusiasts, aren't we so we want perfect playback Wink
Thanks guys, will have a look tonight to see prices etc.
I agree glypto always looking for perfection lol . Issue I have if I spot a flaw I focus on it too much then it bugs the hell out of me

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Opinions on new nuc or fire tv0