Two Kodi installations, one MythTV backend - both use the same tuner...
I've looked, but have found no solutions to an issue I have. I also posted on the MythTV forums, but haven't received any viable solutions.

I have a HD Homerun Prime with three tuners. I have successfully set everything up, and am able to watch live TV from my Ubuntu 14.04 Kodi Gotham install. Everything works great there.

I have a TV downstairs for the kids with a Raspberry Pi, RaspBMC installation. If I'm watching a channel upstairs, I can only watch the same show downstairs. Changing channels downstairs breaks the connection upstairs. Also, the indicator lights on the HDHR confirm the problem in that it shows only one tuner is actively being used at that time.

I've successfully been able to record three different shows on the upstairs TV, which lights all three tuner indicator lights on the HDHR. So that tells me that the tuners are operating properly. My problem might be how I've set up the mythbackend to use the three tuners. Or it may be a Kodi/RaspBMC setting.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I figured that I've gotten as far as I can get by flailing around and flipping as many mythbackend switches as I can get my hands on. Blush

Can anyone help me out?

Usually, in the store when I ask where an item is, I'm standing directly in front of it. I'm sure this will probably be the same result... Big Grin

Thanks in advance!
Dan
Your 3 tuners should be set up identically with the same source. Are they, or did you make the mistake of setting them as 3 different sources in myth TV setup?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for the response, nickr.

They are all using the same source, but there are other settings in that are not totally "identical".

I have one video source named Comcast (set up in Mythtv-Setup, Step 4).

In step 5, I assigned each of the three tuners (192.168.1.107-0, -1 and -2) to that video source - the initial list in Step 5 reflects that, each showing "-> Comcast".

Here are the "Input Connections" settings that are DIFFERENT across the three tuners (I'm not sure what is/isn't important, so I'm including everything):
- Display Name
- Input Priority
- Schedule Order
- LiveTV Order
- Input Group 1

I've played around with the input groups, but wasn't really sure what I was doing so I have no idea if I made any useful changes.

Let me know if you need any more info. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Dan
did you follow the steps listed in the hdhomerun wiki?
(2015-01-14, 16:30)zoydberg Wrote: did you follow the steps listed in the hdhomerun wiki?

Yep, though that walkthrough doesn't show the last screen of the "Input Connections" settings, which deals with the Input Priority, Schedule Order, TvV Order, etc...
Leave all those settings at default.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
OK, with those as default, things aren't working. Any chance the issue is in something other than the Input Connections settings?

In the MythTV forums, someone said that the Myth Frontend has an option to change the tuner being used. Is there something in the Kodi PVR addon that allows that?

Maybe I should delete and re-add the Input Connections?

Dan
you shouldn't need to much more than whats on that wiki, i wouldn't suggest changing any tuner settings, the only other settings I would check are making sure the IP addresses in the general mythtv setup are both the same and a valid lan address eg 192.168.x.x instead of 127.0.01, also make sure the pin code in mythtv is set to 0000, and as the wiki shows, make sure to change Max Recordings to 1. if all that is true, then look thru or copy /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log to pastebin and provide a link here, also are you actually using a cablecard, or just using it to pickup clear qam? if you don't have a cable card there might be some limitations.

as a test, add the upnp version to xbmc as a source and try that
I must say I don't do enough live tv to know what happens when two machines in the house try it at the same time on xbmc. I have done it on mythtv.
(2015-01-15, 09:01)nickr Wrote: I must say I don't do enough live tv to know what happens when two machines in the house try it at the same time on xbmc. I have done it on mythtv.

with a cablecard it seems to use each tuner sequentially, so xbmc instance 1 will use tuner 1, if tuner 1 being used then xbmc instance 2 will use tuner 2. thats what i have witnessed at least from mythweb and the hdhomerun webif when running live on my laptop and htpc at the same time. i think cetons work the same way.

without a cablecard some tuner cards behave a bit differently from what ive read, sometimes not all the tuners built into a card/box support clear qam, so it might behave a bit differently
As I scanned the wiki closer, I think I realize my mistake: The Max Recordings setting. I didn't read carefully enough to catch that non-default change. Undecided I know I haven't changed that from the default, so that just might be the cause of the problem.

<self-deprecating-sarcasm>"Of course I read the wiki - I've done everything right, otherwise why would I be posting in this forum...?"</self-deprecating-sarcasm> Blush

I am using the CableCARD as a CableCARD, and not for Clear QAM. (Stupid Comcast has encrypted all of their channels anyway, so Clear QAM is off the menu...much to my chagrin.)

I'm at work, so I'll change the Max Recordings setting when I'm home and report back. If that doesn't work, I'll post the mythbackend.log.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dan
When not using cablecard a hdhomerun can record/watch many channels per tuner. I have mine (non cablecard) to a max of 5 per tuner. When you start a second recording or livetv it will try and reuse a tuner already in use.

Cablecard will only decrypt one stream/channel per tuner. So it looks like you might have found the problem.
Now to resist the overwhelming urge to take the rest of the day off just to change those settings... Cool

...more to come.

Dan
(2015-01-15, 21:22)danielfcolbert Wrote: Now to resist the overwhelming urge to take the rest of the day off just to change those settings... Cool

...more to come.

Dan

Now you just need to setup a vnc server and a dyndns client so you can remote in from work Smile
if your backend is ubuntu, you can set up vnc easily via mythbuntu-control-centre.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Two Kodi installations, one MythTV backend - both use the same tuner...0