Solved Kodi starts on the wrong display
[edit, 21-1-2015] Solution (thanks to Wsnipex): to choose on which of your screens Kodi displays, go to: System > Settings > System > Video output > Monitor > choose monitor, TV, etc. Smile

I've connected my PC to a monitor and to my LCD TV (via HDMI) in my living room. Both displays work like a charm. When I start, for instance, a text editor on one screen it stays there.

However, when I start Kodi it always goes full screen om my monitor. In Cinnamons System settings manager (I use Linux mint and Mint's GUI is called Cinnamon) I've tried to set the TV as primary monitor but that won't work.

Aso I've tried to determine the display number viathe command on the commnd line via:
Code:
$DISPLAY
But on both displays it returns the unusable number:
Code:
:0: command not found
How can I force Kodi to start on my TV?
You might do that with 'xrandr'...something like:

Code:
xrandr --output display:0

Or similar. I'm not sure if the command is correct...so I would look at the xrandr manpage
(2015-01-20, 21:23)David1977 Wrote: You might do that with 'xrandr'...something like:

Code:
xrandr --output display:0

Or similar. I'm not sure if the command is correct...so I would look at the xrandr manpage
Xrandr is is used to set the size (orientation and/or reflection) of the outputs for a screen. As far as the man page says and as far as I know it can not start an application on a specific display.

And even then: if I try to determine the number format of my displays w/ the command $DISPLAY it gives me the same error om both displays: ":0: command not found". Said command/variable should return something like ":0:1". If I knew he display number of my monitors then Icould start Kodi on the Tv w/ a command like:
Code:
DISPLAY=:1.0 kodi
maybe this helps:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System#Video_output

maybe you can choose an other monitor and then use "blank other display"-option
(2015-01-21, 08:50)David1977 Wrote: maybe this helps:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System#Video_output

maybe you can choose an other monitor and then use "blank other display"-option
Thanks for the tip. I do not have the option "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" (maybe it's Windows only, maybe it's deprecated). Additionally, the option "Blank other displays" is grayed out (unavailable) when Kodi's in windowed mode. If I activate full screen then the option's available but Kodi goes full screen to the wrong screen every time (monitor instead of TV)! So if I blank the other screen then I blank the wrong screen...

Thing that helped is, in Linux Mint, to go to (Cinnamon) Settings > Display > click on the monitor > set it to Off.

Then I only have an image on the TV and Kodi works fine in full screen.
Kodi's internal screen handling works fine, but only on standalone mode. If you are running a window manger, it is responsible for window placement.
(2015-01-21, 13:27)wsnipex Wrote: Kodi's internal screen handling works fine, but only on standalone mode. If you are running a window manger, it is responsible for window placement.
If I have two screens connected to my computer, how do I control on which one Kodi starts up in stand alone mode then?
in system - settings - video output
(2015-01-21, 22:02)wsnipex Wrote: in system - settings - video output
That did the trick! Thanks man. Smile
(2015-01-21, 22:11)xbmcuser01 Wrote:
I have exactly the same question and issue. On Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. Can you elucidate where system - settings - video output is found?
(2019-12-18, 10:59)ThumbOne Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 22:11)xbmcuser01 Wrote:
I have exactly the same question and issue. On Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. Can you elucidate where system - settings - video output is found? 
In Kodi.
(2015-01-20, 17:10)xbmcuser01 Wrote: Aso I've tried to determine the display number viathe command on the commnd line via:
Code:
$DISPLAY
Code:
Just a point here: $DISPLAY is a variable (containing ":0") so typing in a variable name is the equivalent of trying to run the contents of that variable as a command - which it failed to do.

If you wanted to know the contents of the variable, use: echo $DISPLAY

(I know this doesn't help your problem - which is now solved - but should help understand why that particular response appeared)
(2019-12-20, 14:02)Preacher Wrote:
(2015-01-20, 17:10)xbmcuser01 Wrote: Aso I've tried to determine the display number viathe command on the commnd line via:
Code:
$DISPLAY
Code:
Just a point here: $DISPLAY is a variable (containing ":0") so typing in a variable name is the equivalent of trying to run the contents of that variable as a command - which it failed to do.

If you wanted to know the contents of the variable, use: echo $DISPLAY

(I know this doesn't help your problem - which is now solved - but should help understand why that particular response appeared) 
I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.  Blush
(2019-12-20, 14:46)xbmcuser01 Wrote: I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.  Blush 
You're welcome! (Being a *nix geek I know how valuable any useful knowledge snippets can be)

FWIW, you post some pretty comprehensive problem reports - I believe some could learn a trick or two by seeing how you posted not only your issue but what you've tried in an attempt to fix it. I salute you!
(2019-12-18, 14:41)xbmcuser01 Wrote:
(2019-12-18, 10:59)ThumbOne Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 22:11)xbmcuser01 Wrote: That did the trick! Thanks man. Smile    
In Kodi. 
Not helpful I'm afraid. Is this a skin issue? I am using a skin that has no system top menu for example. Perhaps that's why I can't see it? Maybe share a screen shot?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi starts on the wrong display0