VIDEO_TS files won't play from library
So I was previously a My Movies user, and was looking for something a bit more not MCE based, and came across XMBC/Kodi. In My Movies, all my dvds were ripped with dvdfab into VIDEO_TS files (proper folder structure), and my blu-rays were done with dvdfab into stripped down ISOs.

When I first installed Kodi, it played my library from the get-go. I was amazed. Then I ran my library through Media Center Master, and suddenly, none of my DVDs play from the library anymore. I can play them directly if i navigate to the file, but from the library, I just get a quick flash of something in the lower left corner looking like it's trying to play, and i see a "(/)" something or another during that flash, but then it does nothing. I have started re-ripping all my DVDs to mkv files, but figured I would ask here to see if maybe I'm missing something before I put all this work in.

I'll provide any logs necessary when I get home, but hopefully there's a solution.

Thanks
debug log (wiki)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I believe that's an known issue, at least by me Big Grin. I think the problem is that Kodi doesn't know what file it has to play in the video_ts folder. I think it should be the .ifo file, but i might be mistaken. Anyway in my library I only have a few dvd's and all that are ISO are playing fine, but all the dvd's where there are the video_ts folders, they won't play from the library only from file manager in Kodi.
That wouldn't surprise me if it hadn't worked perfectly before messing with Media Center Manager. It might just be coincidence, but who knows. I looked at the log when I was trying to troubleshoot this myself, and I think it was trying to play the video_ts.ifo file. I can open the .vob files directly, but no love from the library.

I'll submit a debug log later when I get home.
debug log

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=398277
Any ideas?
I don't have sufficient knowledge to read and decipher the debug log and I don't have any DVD's now ripped in that format - all have since been ripped as mkv files - however, I do recall that in the past, files in that format had to strictly adhere to the DVD format and not only required a VIDEO_TS folder, but also an empty AUDIO_TS folder at the same level. Worth checking in case these have been removed for any reason.

I think the introduction of MCM is a red herring, though I can't say for definite.

You might also want to troubleshoot your audio devices - ensure you have updated drivers - Kodi doesn't seem to recognise your GFX card audio capabilities. Also try changing to WASAPI in Systems\Settings\System\Audio
Also... you need to go to Settings > Videos > File Lists > Combine Split Video Items and make sure it's selected. That causes Kodi to see the DVD structure as one movie object.
(2015-01-23, 05:55)steelman1991 Wrote: files in that format had to strictly adhere to the DVD format and not only required a VIDEO_TS folder, but also an empty AUDIO_TS folder at the same level. Worth checking in case these have been removed for any reason.

I have about 50 movies in this VIDEO_TS folder structure and they all play fine without the accompanying AUDIO_TS folder.

(2015-01-23, 06:50)pagali Wrote: Also... you need to go to Settings > Videos > File Lists > Combine Split Video Items and make sure it's selected. That causes Kodi to see the DVD structure as one movie object.

I have mine setup like this too, so you seem to be on to something
(2015-01-23, 05:55)steelman1991 Wrote: I don't have sufficient knowledge to read and decipher the debug log and I don't have any DVD's now ripped in that format - all have since been ripped as mkv files - however, I do recall that in the past, files in that format had to strictly adhere to the DVD format and not only required a VIDEO_TS folder, but also an empty AUDIO_TS folder at the same level. Worth checking in case these have been removed for any reason.

I think the introduction of MCM is a red herring, though I can't say for definite.

You might also want to troubleshoot your audio devices - ensure you have updated drivers - Kodi doesn't seem to recognise your GFX card audio capabilities. Also try changing to WASAPI in Systems\Settings\System\Audio

The files played fine w/out the AUDIO_TS folder prior to this issue, so I know that's not it.

MCM may or may not be a red herring, but I suspect it changed something I'm unaware of, but I have no way of telling at this point. I had it rename all my folders/files to be more compatible across other products (ironic, I know, since it broke them). It had renamed the VIDEO_TS.VOB to 'movie name (year).vob'. I renamed all the files back to VIDEO_TS.vob after it started failing hoping it would restore functionality. It did not. All I know is after this process is when things stopped working. In the debug log you can see Kodi trying to open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, but it just fails. I'm at a loss. I tried using MakeMKV to rip all the VIDEO_TS files into mkv files, but MakeMKV chokes on my rips with a warning about my rips being done in DVDFab and then errors out. Re-ripping might be an easier solution Smile

I am using WASAPI, and Kodi recognizes beyond my GFX card audio, it recognizes the receiver that the HDMI cable is connected to.

(2015-01-23, 06:50)pagali Wrote: Also... you need to go to Settings > Videos > File Lists > Combine Split Video Items and make sure it's selected. That causes Kodi to see the DVD structure as one movie object.

I had tried this before, but tried it again, it did not fix anything. It's seeing the structure properly I believe, since it's attempting to open the VIDEO_TS.ifo file. (movie\video_ts\files)
@Nefarious I didn't say it didn't recognise your GFX card - but that it doesn't seem to be recognising the audio capabilities - see lines 64-72 and also line 142 - though again I might be throwing you as much of a red herring as MCM - sorry but this is clearly out of my sphere of knowledge - hopefull jjduk or one of the other devs chimes in.

Might be worthwhile to attempt fresh rips if you still have the originals. Do you have other formats which play OK in kodi (ie mkv, avi etc.)

I have one or two DVD's lying about I'll try a couple and see what comes up (though unlikley I will use DVDFab - more likely DVDShrink - without the shrink).
(2015-01-23, 16:27)steelman1991 Wrote: @Nefarious I didn't say it didn't recognise your GFX card - but that it doesn't seem to be recognising the audio capabilities - see lines 64-72 and also line 142 - though again I might be throwing you as much of a red herring as MCM - sorry but this is clearly out of my sphere of knowledge - hopefull jjduk or one of the other devs chimes in.

Might be worthwhile to attempt fresh rips if you still have the originals. Do you have other formats which play OK in kodi (ie mkv, avi etc.)

I have one or two DVD's lying about I'll try a couple and see what comes up (though unlikley I will use DVDFab - more likely DVDShrink - without the shrink).

Ahhh, gotcha! I saw some of those suspicious audio lines in the debug file also, so I've already tried multiple changes to the audio settings to see if anything could make it work. Oddly, dolby digital, etc plays fine when I navigate to the video_ts.vob file and play it directly, so it's sending the audio properly.

All my DVDs (approx 400) are ripped into video_ts format and they all don't work. My 100+ blu rays were all ripped to stripped down ISOs and have no issues playing. All rips were done with DVDFab a couple to many years ago. I hadn't ripped anything new in a couple of years.

I have already started re-ripping my collection, but I'm doing it to mkv files this time. I doubt I will rip anything to raw VIDEO_TS format again, but I could just for testing purposes. I'll try it out this weekend and see what happens.
Well, I solved this issue. It was completely user error, well, almost. I guess I'll put it out there in case anybody does something this dumb.

I had MCM rename all my files and folders, so after it was done i noticed the movies wouldn't play. It had renamed the main .vob file movie (year).vob. I hadn't noticed the file structure before, so I just assumed that file should be re-named back to VIDEO_TS.vob. Well, it turns out it needed to be renamed VTS_01_1.vob. I only realized this when I re-ripped another movie and noticed how the files were named. I renamed a couple files and they play fine now, so I just have to rename all the rest and my DVD collection will be restored.

Sorry for wasting the time of all that commented, but thank you for responding!
Glad you got it sorted - wouldn't touch any media managers with the proverbial 'barge pole' - IMO. Providing files are named correctly the internal scraper hasn't failed me yet.
Or if you are going to try a media manager, then create a test folder with copies of the different file types you have (only a sample so perhaps 1 of each file type), so you can confirm it's workings and how the changes & metadata interact with Kodi without anything touching the files in your main media storage.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VIDEO_TS files won't play from library0