Bug Server 2012 & UPNP
Hi - I want to manage a single instance of Kodi (v14) on my HP Proliant Server which is running Windows Server 2012. I want to use the UPNP functionality so that I can manage my video and music libraries on the server, and link to these libraries from all client installations via UPNP. MySQL seems a more complex solution - so would like to keep simple.

I have installed Kodi on my server via remote desktop connection, and setup UPNP sharing under services for my music and video libraries.

I have two major problems - can anyone help?

1) Kodi is EXTREMELY slow when accessed on the server - even the mouse cursor moves slowly!!
2) When linking to my UPNP shared video library on a client Kodi installation - no UPNP share shows - it is blank?

My movies have been scanned into the server Kodi installation (which took some time).

Has anyone come across these issues and found a solution?

PS. With UPNP sharing - does Kodi need to be actually running on the server - or is the Kodi installation with UPNP setup adequate? I have tried both (logged in, and not) and either way the UPNP share does not show on a client installation.

Note: The same version of Kodi is installed on both client and server.

Hope someone can help Smile

Thanks
Anyone Huh?
start with http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194926
and yes Kodi needs to be running all the time for UPnP to work
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
hmmmm seems to be referring more to choppy video rather than Kodi in general being extremely slow. I can only assume its a compatability issue with either Windows Server 2012, and/or the Proliant Server hardware.

Also - even when Kodi is running via remote desktop login - I still cannot see the UPnP video library on a client when UPnP is activated on the server side.
Hi Pricy142, I am trying the same thing on Windows server 2012 R2. I have used the UPnP server setup on Windows 7 for a couple years and really like it. I am trying it now on Server 2012 R2 and cannot get UPnP sharing to work. I did notice a UPnP Service that was disabled (and has a dependency on another service) - enabling them had no effect but you could try that and let me know what your results are. My next step is to enable the Windows Server Essentials Experience role, then install the Windows Server Essentials Media Pack (download from Microsoft). The media pack enables DLNA sharing, which might possibly be used by UPnP? I don't know, but I will try and report back here.
Also I found this in the MS documentation -
Enable media devices that use the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol to access shared files on the server:

Devices that use Server Message Block (SMB) for network file and share access instead of DLNA (for media streaming) require that the Guest account be activated. This allows any device or user on the network to view the contents of shared folders without authentication.

From the section "Manage Digital Media in Windows Server 2012 Essentials"
Followup: I was not able to get UPnP sharing working with Kodi installed on Windows Server 2012 R2. Instead, created a Window 8.1 VM and installed Kodi there. Works fine (after enabling the SSDP and UPnP services in Windows).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server 2012 & UPNP0