How to control iMac's iTunes on Kodi on a TV
After a lot of googling and finding lots of advice that seems to be not helpful, I thought I'd ask here. I've recently installed Kodi on an Amazon FireTV stick.

Yesterday I realized the volume button on the iTunes which is currently running on my iMac, has an option "play on Kodi" or "play on computer". When I select the "play on Kodi" option, whatever I'm currently playing on iTunes streams on the TV (with album artwork, and some visualization effect). However the control buttons on TV's Kodi screen (play, pause, forward etc..) do not work. I can only pause or stop the music, and can't get it to play again.

Since my iMac can stream music towards Kodi on my Amazon stick, I was wondering is there a way to make Amazon stick search or browse the music in my iMac?

This is all new to me, my head is already exploding, I hope there's somebody who can explain thing to me in a simplified way.

Equipment:
iMac OSX 10.9.4
Amazon FireTV Stick
They're both on a WIFI home network.

Thank you in advance
I don't think Kodi can browse an iTunes library, even with library sharing turned on in iTunes. The only real option we have at the moment is what you've already discovered, which is to AirPlay music to Kodi.
Ned is likely having an off day so I'll excuse him... Wink

Sure you can:

Setup the iTunes music folder for SMB Sharing...

OSX > System Preferences > Sharing > tick ✓ File Sharing > Shared Folders: hit + and add the following folder:

Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music

Select "Options" on the same page: tick ✓ - Share Files and folders using SMB

Then Kodi > Music > Files > Add Music > Browse > Zeroconf Browser > Your Computername(SAMBA) > Music > OK

Smile

No, I mean DAAP, which iTunes uses for sharing, has not worked in XBMC/Kodi since iTunes v6. of course, people can scan in the individual music files and use that in Kodi, but that is basically building a new music library.
(2015-02-07, 14:21)wrxtasy Wrote: Ned is likely having an off day so I'll excuse him... Wink

Sure you can:

Setup the iTunes music folder for SMB Sharing...

OSX > System Preferences > Sharing > tick ✓ File Sharing > Shared Folders: hit + and add the following folder:

Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music

Select "Options" on the same page: tick ✓ - Share Files and folders using SMB

Then Kodi > Music > Files > Add Music > Browse > Zeroconf Browser > Your Computername(SAMBA) > Music > OK

Smile

Thank you for your input. My shared folder path in the system pref is slightly different:
users > **my account** > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music

Then I followed your path in the Kodi, however when I click on the my computer(SAMBA), nothing happens. I can't see the next path, nor select a folder called "music".

I'd appreciate if you could let me know if I'm missing anything.

On the other hand, maybe I need to rephrase my question. How can I browse a folder located in my iMac from the KODI? It doesn't have to be iTunes. Can I simply place all my mp3s in a folder, and locate them in the Kodi's Music menu?

Thank you
(2015-02-07, 13:51)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't think Kodi can browse an iTunes library, even with library sharing turned on in iTunes. The only real option we have at the moment is what you've already discovered, which is to AirPlay music to Kodi.

Thank you very much for your reply Ned. I really appreciate it. I followed other guy's input, but haven't succeed, I'm waiting for his follow up.

As I mentioned before, what I'm looking at is really simple actually. I don't have to see iTunes or playlists from Kodi. Is there any way to simply access a folder located in my iMac from Kodi? If I place all my mp3s in that folder, can't I play those files in Kodi's music menu?

Or is it just a wishful thinking?
Please read the basics of Mac file sharing first and see if you have missed anything...
Take particular note about Firewalls.

http://support.apple.com/en-au/HT1549

If its Kodi and Zeroconf Browser your having issues with the see this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214091

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to control iMac's iTunes on Kodi on a TV0