• 7(current)
New additive/smart seeking support
(2015-03-16, 00:15)bossanova808 Wrote: Regarding my thoughts that there really should be a smallstepback - an alternative would be an xbmc builtin .seek() that accepts on offset parameter in seconds, so you can have arbitrary seek bindings for those that want to have something else in addition to 'smart' seeking.

I really think one or the other is needed though - it's really tedious having to click back multiple times to do simple things because I want a short step in there....grrrr

I hear what you're saying but one reason for the smart seeking was to provide some code clean up, what you suggest may introduce some complexity again, however that's a question maybe for @xhaggi
I think this was a great addition but I think it introduced some regression in Music track rating while playback. While on Full screen, playing any track and bring up info OSD, you were able to press UP arrow or DOWN Arrow on remote any MCE like remote and rate the song playing by more or less stars.

Now you instead skip forward or back into track and its some huge trek by menus and clicks and excessive navigation to go to the only other place its possible to rate by track which is about as user friendly as a bag of dirty laundry inside a microwave.
It's not a regression but a conscious decision to further align playback controls between videos and music. From what I can see the actions "IncreaseRating" and "DecreaseRating" have been left unmapped, so to return to previous behaviour you need to create a remote.xml (if you don't already have your own user one) and add:

Code:
<Visualisation>
<remote>
<up>IncreaseRating</up>    
<down>DecreaseRating</down>
</remote>
</Visualisation>

or map to different buttons if you want to keep the skip behaviour on Up & Down.
(2015-03-16, 00:36)nickr Wrote: Yes I cannot fathom why there is not a seek that takes a time as parameter. myth has this and it is very easy to set your remote exactly as you want, using as many arrow type buttons as your remote has. Some have the up down left right as well as >> and << and >| and |< - that's eight buttons or four different steps in each direction.

Hmm, if I type 1234 and then press <- (left) I jump 12 min and 34 secs back in the video. Pressing 1234 and right jumps 12.34 forward and 1234 and enter/return sends me to that exact time in the video. I'm still on Frodo - was this functionality removed later?

/D
(2015-03-16, 16:56)dodoadoodoo Wrote: Hmm, if I type 1234 and then press <- (left) I jump 12 min and 34 secs back in the video. Pressing 1234 and right jumps 12.34 forward and 1234 and enter/return sends me to that exact time in the video. I'm still on Frodo - was this functionality removed later?

/D

No, still works that same way with the latest Kodi 15 and additive seeking.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-03-16, 16:52)jjd-uk Wrote: It's not a regression but a conscious decision to further align playback controls between videos and music. From what I can see the actions "IncreaseRating" and "DecreaseRating" have been left unmapped, so to return to previous behaviour you need to create a remote.xml (if you don't already have your own user one) and add:

Code:
<Visualisation>
<remote>
<up>IncreaseRating</up>    
<down>DecreaseRating</down>
</remote>
</Visualisation>

or map to different buttons if you want to keep the skip behaviour on Up & Down.

So this is a per user only possible or can this be added to master? Cause tbh makes no sense to stop all users in general from being able to do a very unique and Music only orientated function and require more hidden knobs/controls. Sorry makes very little sense to me to remove this at all in guise of aligning video/music controls, since music has unique functionality like rating a track and you cant really rate your videos and never could.

Thx for the tip though will definetly have to add it but I prefer it works OTTB for users who been doing this since stone age, like my wife, who is the reason I said something cause shes crying in my ear going, why is this skipping now... lol
(2015-03-16, 18:39)uNiversal Wrote: So this is a per user only possible or can this be added to master? Cause tbh makes no sense to stop all users in general from being able to do a very unique and Music only orientated function and require more hidden knobs/controls. Sorry makes very little sense to me to remove this at all in guise of aligning video/music controls, since music has unique functionality like rating a track and you cant really rate your videos and never could.
This doesn't mean that video rating won't be added in future, and then you'd have to change the keymap again and again and again. It's preferred to have a consistent mapping throughout the application. That rating now doesn't have a keymap and is otherwise a way too hidden feature doesn't mean we need to change the keymap to how it was, but rather that there has to be an easy way to do it via GUI/OSD
(2015-03-16, 18:39)uNiversal Wrote: So this is a per user only possible or can this be added to master? Cause tbh makes no sense to stop all users in general from being able to do a very unique and Music only orientated function and require more hidden knobs/controls. Sorry makes very little sense to me to remove this at all in guise of aligning video/music controls, since music has unique functionality like rating a track and you cant really rate your videos and never could.

Thx for the tip though will definetly have to add it but I prefer it works OTTB for users who been doing this since stone age, like my wife, who is the reason I said something cause shes crying in my ear going, why is this skipping now... lol

If you have the same function in both music & video I would expect the same keys be used to perform those functions for the purpose of consistency, anything else could potentially be confusing. Since the rating actions only currently applies to music they should be mapped to either keys that either don't have any function in Visualisation or Full Screen Video, or if used in Full Screen Video there is no equivalent function for music. So if we were to add the rating actions again in the Default map, the buttons that would probably make most sense to me would be the Channel Up and Channel buttons.
Channel Up/Down ... never work for video where Live Tv is concerned, because I can hear the cries, Channel Up Channel Down is for PVR and we wont let you use them anywhere else.

Add more noise to OSD in the ways of spinner controls you have to navigate also odd imo, but hey...

Given this move I would expect functionality to be kept in some way, so lets hope theres a solution on the horizon and this doesn't get forgotten or buried, in the meanwhile will have to maintain yet another patch on my local install or add custom keymaps I never had to maintain in over 10 years of this.
(2015-03-16, 19:40)jjd-uk Wrote: So if we were to add the rating actions again in the Default map, the buttons that would probably make most sense to me would be the Channel Up and Channel buttons.

+1 from my side to use the channel buttons
(2015-03-16, 15:48)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2015-03-16, 00:15)bossanova808 Wrote: Regarding my thoughts that there really should be a smallstepback - an alternative would be an xbmc builtin .seek() that accepts on offset parameter in seconds, so you can have arbitrary seek bindings for those that want to have something else in addition to 'smart' seeking.

I really think one or the other is needed though - it's really tedious having to click back multiple times to do simple things because I want a short step in there....grrrr

I hear what you're saying but one reason for the smart seeking was to provide some code clean up, what you suggest may introduce some complexity again, however that's a question maybe for @xhaggi

I like the idea to have a built-in for seeking. This would give everyone the freedom to add whatever seek size he needs.
Rounding issue with seekstep overrides:
<seeksteps>10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 90, 120</seeksteps>

Everything is displayed correctly except the 90sec. Kodi labels it as "1min"
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
@jjd-uk @xhaggi @da-anda

This works if you guys are ok with this https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6744

Thx for suggestions.
@xhaggi @jjd-uk

Ok so a builtin seems to be a supported idea? That's great - would solve this and potentially have other uses far and wide. Using an offset would be very handy (e.g. in the XBMC unpause jumpback addon, could definitely be simplified then).
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2015-03-16, 21:54)uNiversal Wrote: @jjd-uk @xhaggi @da-anda

This works if you guys are ok with this https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6744

Thx for suggestions.

Looking at the keyboard.xml there are some oddities.

In Global you have Skip Next to mapped to Period and Skip Previous is mapped to Comma.

In FullScreenVideo these globals are overridden so Period is mapped to Step Forward and Comma to Step Back. But there is also Right Cursor mapped to Step Forward and Left Cursor mapped to Step Back so why have these overrides? Makes even less sense when Skip Next and Skip Back get added back via Page Up and Page Down.

When not simply keep the Global mapping for Skip Next and Skip Previous to Period and Comma and just have Step Forward and Step Back as Right Cursor & Left Cursor, this would free up Page Up and Page Down

Is there also any point in keeping [ mapped to BigStepForward and ] to BigStepBack as they are effectively duplicates of ChapterOrBigStepForward and ChapterOrBigStepBack however they do no harm and there's plenty of buttons to spare on a keyboard.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New additive/smart seeking support0