kodibuntu install fail
I'm sorry if this has been asked a trillion times.

My HTPC setup: ATX board/case AMD 6800 APU, 46" Bravia TV

I tried Kodibuntu, MythBuntu and XBMCBuntu, install from USB or Disc runs perfectly but after "installation complete please restart your computer" I restart and then nothing, no splash screen, Logo or nothing, just blank screen. I can't see it on my home network either.

Then I tried OpenPCTV for $hits and giggles, worked fine, then OpenELEC again and worked fine also.

I've read on some forums that current Linux versions don't like AMD hardware with large screen monitors (drivers)

But that's also strange because I run Mint17 Cinnamon on my desktop with 42" monitor without any problems.

I'm currently using OpenELEC, but I want to try MythTV (TVHeadend pause/rewind/FF live TV not the greatest) so want to go with stripped down Linux version for ease of MythTV installation.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for any help.
I'm bumping this thread.

Has anybody recently...within the last few days, successfully installed KodiBuntu on a machine with AMD CPU/GPU and a 42" or larger monitor?

Thanks.
bump
I installed kodibuntu yesterday on this board:
Asus

Installation went without a hitch. I did have to do a force restart at the end of the installation though, rather than getting a prompt to eject the cd and restart. I am using a 42" LCD monitor.
Is this solved now?

Are you able to ssh in even you have no surface on the monitor/TV?

Did you try another monitor (PC monitor)?

I suppose there is no driver needed to connect via HDMI. The only thing which is needed, is a proper EDID information coming from the TV. 'But' there are drivers needed to get the grafic working fine. So for this we will need a SSH connection to you machine. After this we need a Debug Log and a:

Code:
dmesg

on a pastebin site.

The normal issues, which most ppl have, that they first switch on the HTPC and then the TV. This won't work. Because the HTPC checks if it gets an EDID info from the TV and if there is none (because the TV is still off) the grafic won't work. So be aware, that the TV is already switched on when you start your HTPC.
that cpu might need a newer kernel.
if you can ssh in or get to a console, install the newest 3.18.x mainline kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mai...8.6-vivid/
3.19 might be worth a try on AMD as well

Instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds
(2015-02-10, 10:27)David1977 Wrote: Is this solved now?

Are you able to ssh in even you have no surface on the monitor/TV?

Did you try another monitor (PC monitor)?

I suppose there is no driver needed to connect via HDMI. The only thing which is needed, is a proper EDID information coming from the TV. 'But' there are drivers needed to get the grafic working fine. So for this we will need a SSH connection to you machine. After this we need a Debug Log and a:

Code:
dmesg

on a pastebin site.

The normal issues, which most ppl have, that they first switch on the HTPC and then the TV. This won't work. Because the HTPC checks if it gets an EDID info from the TV and if there is none (because the TV is still off) the grafic won't work. So be aware, that the TV is already switched on when you start your HTPC.

Thanks for youtr replies,

The TV was definitely turned on before I flashed the HTPC. My TV is about 10 years old, that could be a player also??

I'm running OPENElec now, I'll try running my HDMI cable to my PC monitor tomorrow and see how it goes. (I don't have another monitor laying around)

Thanks for your ideas/replies. Like I said I've been running many Linux flavors on my desktop w/ AMD CPU/video card on 42" monitor for about a year without problems, so this was strange for me.
(2015-02-10, 02:21)Ozman Wrote: I installed kodibuntu yesterday on this board:
Asus

Installation went without a hitch. I did have to do a force restart at the end of the installation though, rather than getting a prompt to eject the cd and restart. I am using a 42" LCD monitor.

Hi Ozman,

Thanks for your input, but the link to that motherboard says it has Nvidia Graphics.

I'm kinda pulling my hair out because I've tried many Linux distros (Ubunto, yaVDR, Mint, MythBuntu, Kodibuntu) with the same result, after 1st boot(or non_boot) no splash screen, no logo, just black screen.

OpenELEC works fine though, so it has to be an AMD graphics/Linux problem. I'm just surprised nobody on this board has experienced this.

Thanks.
Does this page from the wiki help?
Thanks for your reply,

Is there a secret to getting into GrubHuh?

I've tried shift key during boot, but not possible for me.

I tried a different monitor (19" with VGA cable) same result...nothing.

Is it possible to open a terminal/console with no display? i.e. a short-cut key (s) ??

I'm not sure how to SSH in because I don't know the IP address assigned to the HTPC by my router. Is there a way to scan devices with SSH??

The TV was definitely 1000% turned on before the HTPC.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy overpriced Intel hardware if I want to use Linux.

As a side note...I've been using Linux Mint on my desktop (AMD CPU and video card) w/ 42" TV for about 2 years without problems. I'm just trying to learn here...I don't understand why my desktop runs fine with AMD hardware and and large monitor/TV but my HTPC does notHuh?

Thanks for any help.
I'm bumping this thread.

Has anybody recently...within the last few days, successfully installed KodiBuntu on a machine with AMD CPU/GPU and a 42" or larger monitor?

Thanks.
Hi, I know this is an old post but I have similar issues.

I have an AMD APU, an atx board and plugged into 42inch Toshiba Regza tv.

To install KodiBuntu I would get initial menu up and select install. It would initially get Kodi icon anim up but then 10 seconds later a blue screen and nothing.
The only way I managed to install it was to plug the media box into a normal 24 inch comp monitor. I got it installed. If I swap hdmi cable over to tv while media box on I get kodi up on tv. However if I boot box while its plugged into tv I get nothing. Just a blue screen.

Not sure why this is maybe someone could help.
disable overscan on your TV
(2016-01-05, 22:26)wsnipex Wrote: disable overscan on your TV

Tried this but doesnt make any difference Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodibuntu install fail0