Power supply issues possibly with Pi2
I have been using a power supply that puts out 1AMP with my Pi 2 and have been experiencing nothing but problems.

For the past two days Kodi has been scraping my TV shows, I have just over 200 of them, this morning I checked it and it was on the Kodi home screen but the TV Shows option was no longer there, I rebooted using the power icon in Kodi and I got a black screen. The green light was solid indicating mirco SD card access but nothing, I left it for a bit until the green light went out, pulled the power, put it back, nothing, no video, no boot screen, just the green light.

Is my power supply too undersized to power the Pi2? I have some 2AMP power supplies on order, should arrive today or tomorrow, I hope this is my issue.

Thanks

AM
Do you ever see the PWR LED flicker when running, or a multi-coloured square in top-right cornr? You should check when busy (e.g. scraping or scrolling through library).

1A is theoretically enough (if you don't have any USB devices taking significant current), but a lot of power supplies start to drop voltage as you approach max capacity, so you generally have better luck with a 2A supply.

It sounds at the moment like your sdcard is corrupted, so you'll probably have to reinstall - but keep an eye out for the under-voltage signs.
I have two USB devices plugged in, a bluetooth adapter and a keyboard, that is it, so I guess its possible that those two devices are drawing a tiny amount of current enough to cause the micro sd card corruption I am experiencing?
If the PWR LED never flickers and the under-voltage warning symbol (multi-coloured square in top-right corner of screen) never appears, then your power supply should be okay.

If you are getting under-voltage conditions, then crashing or sdcard corruption are possible results.
I never see the power light flicker at all its constantly solid red, the only light that flickers is the green light indicating access to the micro SD card.

Its baffling though because I've have to format the two Kingston 32GB class 4 cards I am using two or three times each and start over due to this corruption which is why I was wondering if it could be the power supply.

I have a new Kingston 32GB class 10 card that I am going to try, but not until my new power supplies arrive.

Any ideas as to what else it could be? The cards I suppose?
New Pi user here. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? I can't even boot up my new Pi2. I have the right power supply, formatted 16GB microSD card (per this), wired ethernet, HDMI plugged in, but nothing. I see the red & green lights on the Pi2 board (solid, not flickering)... wonder if I have a lemon? I even took out the mSD card and plugged in and nothing Sad. My mSD card was imaged for OpenELEC properly using Win32DiskImager.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-03-23, 13:27)hdmkv Wrote: New Pi user here. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? I can't even boot up my new Pi2. I have the right power supply, formatted 16GB microSD card (per this), wired ethernet, HDMI plugged in, but nothing. I see the red & green lights on the Pi2 board (solid, not flickering)... wonder if I have a lemon? I even took out the mSD card and plugged in and nothing Sad. My mSD card was imaged for OpenELEC properly using Win32DiskImager.

Most likely it's the sdcard or how it was written. Perhaps explain exactly what you did?
What make/model of sdcard. Did you write the card from windows? With win32diskimager? Did you use a built in sdcard reader or an external one?
If you insert the sdcard into windows machine, what files can you see? Can you try a different sdcard?
Do you know anyone else with a Pi, so you can try swapping Pi/sdcard/PSU to determine the problem.
Troubleshoot - HDMI cable or try a different TV if you can.

Also try OpenElec 5.0.5 I've had issues with 5.0.6

Here is the Image:

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/openelec.tv...0.5.img.gz

Did you download and install this one from the link? - ARMv7 builds - RPi2 ARMv7 quad core models (Model B 1024MB)
(2015-03-23, 13:27)hdmkv Wrote: I see the red & green lights on the Pi2 board (solid, not flickering)... wonder if I have a lemon?

Pay very close attention to the lights as you apply power. If red (PWR) led flickers it suggests power supply.
The green (ACT) led flashes when sdcard is accessed. If it never flickers then the sdcard is unreadable (i.e. bootcode.bin / start.elf couldn't be read).
Even the wrong image (e.g. Pi1 image on Pi2) board should flicker the green LED and display a coloured screen on HDMI as the firmware loads (firmware is common between Pi1 and Pi2).
Thanks much guys, I'll try your suggestions. Here are all my parts:

- RPi2 board
- mSD card
- Power supply

The OE build I have is http://releases.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-RPi...0.6.img.gz.
My HT
Make sure you're extracting the img from the compressed gz archive (use something like 7-zip on Windows) and not writing the gz file directly to the SD card.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Got it working, thanks. I had to reformat the mSD card and recreate the image. Odd why it didn't work the first. My 1st time owning a RPi; pretty impressed with this little guy Smile.
My HT
Enjoy the little Ball Tearing' bargain. Smile

Had this system up and running with xbmc - but had a lot of issues with static interference with the sound system - After reading a few forums I came to the conclusion it might be the psu - I currently run it through a 12v adapter with a buck converter to bring the v down to about 5v's anyway without thinking I turn the POT up slightly without reading the output Vs. the system shut-down and I am unable to boot it up again - The green light comes on first then the red (both solid) / (no hdmi picture) all the chips are cold. I have re-installed the sd card os again but no result. Any ideas? Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Power supply issues possibly with Pi20