Pre-Built Ready out of the Box system, and leprechauns
I have been building my own DVR systems since the late 90's. I was watching my own recorded VCDs while most people where still using VHS.

I am now building another HTPC, but I want something easy to use. I have never heard of KODI till this last week.
I downloaded KodiBuntu and tried to run it live from my disk. After a few hours I couldn't get it to work with my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 tuner card. KODI looks very pretty, but it was frustrating getting the tuner card to work. Most of my Google searches gave me results for different versions of KODI where the step by step directions didn't follow through.

This reminded me of when I used MythTV. That wasn't much fun either. I could never seem to purchase the right combination of fully supported hardware for Linux to be happy. (I think a few things might have changed since my last attempt 10 years ago)

I like the simplicity of Windows Media Center (WMC), but the windows updates are really annoying, then I got the java updates, then the Hulu plug-in is dropped, then Netlflix added profiles and broke the WMC plug-in interface. I need to leave the WMC interface exchange my remote for a keyboard just so I can watch Amazon Prime.

I don't want to be the admin support for my families entertainment system. I just want to watch some TV.

During my search and preparation of getting a new HTPC together I discovered that consumers understanding of technology is really poor, or my expectations are abnormal.
The concept of paying a monthly subscription just for a TV guide I find disgusting.

I once owned a Pioneer DVR531HS DVD / DVR. I loved it. Free TV guide scheduling, I could program it to record entire series. I loved the video editing feature on it. My wife could easily edit out commercials out of her TV shows and then burn it to disk.
I would gladly pay $800 for a system like that with HDTV, and streaming support. (maybe more,,,,)

But, I can't find anything on the market like it. At least not in the United States.
It appears that the big consumer electronic companies are all tangled in a complex relationship with TiVo, and other payed cable/dish DVR systems that they don't want to bother making boxes like the DVR531HS with full features.

I have found a few companies that make HTPC boxes pre-built. But, they are essentially full blown PC's with DVR software and a remote.
I don't want to have a 650 Watt power supply with fans blaring next to my TV just to record a show.

This is what I want,,,,
1.) Dual channel clear QAM decoder
2.) HDMI/Display port output capable of supporting 4K Ultra High Definition TV
3.) Streaming capabilities that will work with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime
4.) TV guide information
5.) DVD player
6.) I DON'T WANT TO BE DOING MANUAL UPDATES!!!!! (at least nothing anymore annoying than what I see with a PS3 UPDATE)
7.) It will work out of the box
8.) It will be lower power.

This is what I would like to have (bonus),,,
1.) Blu-ray support
2.) DVD-video burning support
3.) Video editing like found on that DVR531HS

If anybody can give me advice on where I can find this please let me know. I feel like I'm hunting for unicorn riding leprechauns.
I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
Would anybody like to build something like this for me?
I'm getting to old to be building stuff like this.

HELP!!
Nice story, almost as good as little red riding hood.

What you want doesn't exist yet. (probably never will) That doesn't mean you couldn't get there. A few years back my interests and available time didn't allow me to find XBMC/Kodi, when I did stumble across it, my story was much like yours, and I met the big bad wolfs of Hollywood and the usual local villains who wanted to charge the moon just for looking.

Essentially the industry has been trying and with some sucess to undo a Supreme Court decision in the case of Sony v. Universal City Studios, involving the home use of video recorders and the federal copyright law, determined that the former did not infringe on the latter as long as the copied material was not used for profit. Nonetheless, the studios lobbied Congress for a law that would attach a royalty or surcharge to the sale of VCRs and blank tapes. Your equipment has now been made obsolete, and this copyright issue must be re-fought for the new technological advances, the industries argument is that the new technology is just too good. Regardless, your stuck in the middle with no manufacturer who will to stick their neck out to produce what you want in quantity at a reasonable price. Copyright rules have been changed to allow merchandising of product well beyond the death of an author or studio, and we have now a segment of or society who no longer earns a living by contribution, but by extorting the efforts of hardworking individuals who want to make a difference... Suffice to say; Too many people are paying far too much for too long for a little media entertainment. (OK RANT over, I feel better).

The system you want is possible, you will have to build it from parts, and glue it to-gather with some software, there will be a few gaps, but some of the users in this forum (specifically hardware) can be of great assistance, it's not going to be that easy (lot'sa wolves around here) but you will get there...

Kodi is a great place to start.

1) Kodi is software (Dual channel clear QAM decoder) so get one. (ask in hardware)
2) HDMI, yup Kodi is software, capable of 4K
3) Streaming Kodi has the hooks, make the add-on or pick one up (ask Hollywood)
4) TV Guide Info is 3rd party dependant. Kodi is a great mulch-media program.
5) Kodi handles DVD through most computer hardware, as any player would.
6) Updates can be set automagically, usually click click.
7) You live in a box? (ask in hardware, they have better boxes to live in)
8) Don't feed it enough? or you don't get enough? (650 watts on power supply is rarely over 30 watts 120v)

All your wishes are either implemented, in the works or in the feature suggestion forum. Kodi is not for everyone, it's not at the appliance stage yet, not available at the box stores anytime soon, and is at the mercy of some very dedicated developers who work for free on this open sourced project that we here in this forum all enjoy.

Quote:hunting for unicorn riding leprechauns.I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

You may have found it, but it's not going to be an easy task putting a saddle on it, and breaking it in, but if you have determination, a bit of stamina and enjoy tinkering, anything is possible.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm ok with placing effort into having a good HTPC/PVR/DVR/whatever you call it, BUT my family isn't as forgiving. My Scottish tempered wife could very possible kick me in the balls if her Blue Bloods TV episode was interrupted because of a new update.

It would be nice if I could find a simple step by step tutorial.
Starting with a bill of materials (BOM) for hardware, and screen shots of how to get the tuner cards, video cards working, schedule, extra.

Do you, or anybody know of such a beginner guide?
I think this might work.
It still looks a bit power hungry. The processor alone runs up to 81 watts at full throttle.
No blu-ray,
No TV-Tuner,
But, it looks like a start.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883258095
Looks like a modified/upgraded version of this
http://avatargamingpc.com/vboxxbmc.html
Quote:Do you, or anybody know of such a beginner guide
in this respect we're all beginners., contrary to your roots. There is a whole very expensive industry out there trying to cater to some of your needs while keeping their hand in your wallet. Keeping the wife happy (happy wife is a happy life!) is another matter. There's no easy/cheap cord cutters dream, otherwise we would all follow that path.The hardware you link are compromises in a lot of directions, and for my view point, instead of trying to get everything in one piece of hardware, take a selective approach. Ask yourself some questions... and be honest, this will determine the compromises you'll have to live with.

Decide what is your most likely viewing habits:

Are you enamoured enough with movies that you regularly rent or buy, would you watch a movie twice or more? Do you have a collection of disks, or do you prefer to stream and pay? How you watch, multiple locations or just a set-top device would do?

1) this determination will prepare your HT for perhaps a NAS set-up or server on the outside, to something very simple like one of the set-top-boxes running Kodi. Your budget at this point will probably limit your options, but perhaps a bigger budget can be justified, if you're thinking into the future and 4K., 3D, AVreceiver?

What are your TV habits? Is it only to placate the wifey, do you need parental controls over content? Sports, Golf and specialty language channels? For the most part, I wouldn't rely on 3rd party add-ons to offer you much. I've checked out an M8 set-top for a buddy, it cam loaded with XBMC 13.2 and 20-30 add-ons of whihc maybe 10 are working and I could pick them up from the repo, the other add-ons give script errors. You can play the game of updates, and hunting down elusive connections, but you can be sure your wife will not put up with that, and the buffering of broadband will have you both cruising. I see streaming services like people who DX radio in days gone by, sometimes you get something nice, and sometime nadda. In three years the latter is likely.

2) Look for hardware that handles Netflix, Hulu and some of the other cheaper services, I don't see the industry supporting FREE streaming services, and over time most of these holes will be plugged. If you can get OTA local broadcasts, then a cheap TV tuner, video card combo will serve. I wouldn't jump into this too quickly, the hardware forum is quite extensive and offers a lot of good advice, these NUC boxes might be more in keeping with your needs.

I found that LifeHacker has a nice overview The rest becomes entertainment, if that's too much then open the wallet.
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: This is what I want,,,,
1.) Dual channel clear QAM decoder
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: 2.) HDMI/Display port output capable of supporting 4K Ultra High Definition TV
thats going to cost you a ton to get 4k 60hz across the board -
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: 3.) Streaming capabilities that will work with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime
if you run a windows box on the network you can buy a playon.tv license and integrate directly into kodi, i do this and it works very well.
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: 4.) TV guide information
i pay $25/yr to schedules direct and integrate into PseudoTV Live
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: 5.) DVD player
shouldnt be an issue. i would also check out http://kodi.wiki/view/media_stubs
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: 6.) I DON'T WANT TO BE DOING MANUAL UPDATES!!!!! (at least nothing anymore annoying than what I see with a PS3 UPDATE)
kodi update cycle isnt too overwhelming.
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: 7.) It will work out of the box
not going to happen, you are going to have to put in work.
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: 8.) It will be lower power.
get a server handle the bulk of the stuff and use smaller boxes for a front end, firetv, NUC, brix

(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: This is what I would like to have (bonus),,,
1.) Blu-ray support
start participating here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213352
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: 2.) DVD-video burning support
you will need to run kodi as an application in OS of choice.
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: 3.) Video editing like found on that DVR531HS
i'm not familiar with this. if you want you can look into http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/ for commercial detection for recordings.
(2015-02-22, 03:28)rdengineer Wrote: If anybody can give me advice on where I can find this please let me know. I feel like I'm hunting for unicorn riding leprechauns.
I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
Would anybody like to build something like this for me?
I'm getting to old to be building stuff like this.

HELP!!
you are if you aren't willing to put in the necessary effort.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pre-Built Ready out of the Box system, and leprechauns0