Amazon Prime Video from within Kodi on Fire TV
Hello all,

I just picked up a Fire TV, loaded Kodi on it and am loving the setup. The one thing I'm having difficulties getting it to do is start some form of the amazon instant video app from within Kodi. Ideally, I could set it up so that it loaded just like Netflix and other apps. The process I used for Netflix was to add it as a favorite, then pin it to my home menu. Now I just select that home menu item and it goes right to the Netflix app. I tried doing that with the "Instant Video" app, which is the Amazon Instant video app, but it doesn't load anything, when the home menu item is selected.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Try this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=215255
You are starting the wrong App. You have to use "KFTV Launcher". You can rename it in KODI so it's called "Amazon". Then a click on this will bring you back to the Fire TV User Interface.
Hope this helps!

Greets
Zodac
Thank you both.

Ned, that looks like a pretty interesting option, unfortunately after reading through the thread it looks like there are a number of problems when using that addon for streaming in the US. From what I've gathered from reading the forum, it appears that it has something to do with swf verification type 2. I've not done much research on how that works, but it sounds like a pretty consistent problem among many US users. I'll still give it a try when I get home.

Zodac, I think that might actually be the thing that I was missing. I don't remember seeing the "KFT Launcher" in the Android Apps list, but I may need to root the Fire TV and use the Xposed & rbox modules as discussed on the wiki. http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Bypass_Home_on_Fire_TV

I was initially thinking that I could get it working without rooting the Fire TV, but I'm ok rooting it, just haven't made it that far yet.

Thanks,
You don't need to root for that. Since I live in Europe, my Fire TV is not rootable.

Greets
Zodac
Isn't it quicker to press the Home button or does this load something different?
Thanks for saying something Zodac. I looked several times for that app in the androids app section, but kept glossing over it. I checked it again this morning and found that I had been looking over it every time.

Hitcher, yes hitting the home button would be easier, but I'm planning on re-mapping it to open up kodi.

My ideal setup would have kodi load on boot and appear to be the primary interface from the user's perspective. From within kodi, I would allow the user to open the netflix app, open the amazon main interface, and any other app I felt like making available. At any time the user should be able to hit the home button to get back to kodi.

Thank you all for the help. I'm going to try to get the home button remapped this weekend, so I can let my wife start using the final setup.

I'll plan on posting anything else that I figure out along the way. Meanwhile, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Hey all, I think I figured out a solution.

I determined that the FireTV that I bought has to new of a firmware on it, so I was unable to root it after all.

Instead I used llama and the wiki that I linked above to come up with a solution that not only allows me to access my amazon video content but also use the home button to open Kodi. There are two things that didn't work out 100% perfect, but I think I can live with it;

The basic operations:
1. Within the FireTV menu, I have a link to Kodi, using a llama redirect of ikonoTV (The icon for ikonoTV was replaced with the Kodi icon).
2. If I start out in the FireTV menu and load apps/videos from within it, then the home button will return me to the FireTV menu.
3. Once I load Kodi the first time, if I launch an app/start a video within Kodi, the home button will return me to Kodi.
4. I have a link to open the FireTV home menu that reverts the operation of the home button to it's factory function.

The 2 things that aren't perfect:
1. The dynamic switching of the home button isn't the best, but I've not yet figured out a way to make it work without doing this. (ultimately, I'm ok with this at the moment)
2. When I press the home button to go back to Kodi, it currently displays the FireTV menu for 1 second. This is something I'm trying to figure out how to fix, but currently haven't come up with a solution for it.

The basic design is:
1. Any time Kodi is running, set llama variable kodi_run to true
2. Any time ikonoTV is running and kodi_run is false, immediately open Kodi
3. Any time kodi_run is true and KFTV Launcher is running, wait 1 second and then open Kodi
4. Any time ikonoTV is running and kodi_run is true, start application "home" and set kodi_run to false (this will open the FireTV menu and inhibit the auto-start of Kodi via the home button, as well as allowing the use of the FireTV menu)

kodi_run is a arbitrary variable name that I used

So far the 1 second delay is the thing that bothers me a little. I've not managed to get away from it yet, because without it, the return to the FireTV menu option doesn't seem to work properly. I'm still trying to find a work around, to get it to work, but I thought I'd share where I am.

After I either find a work around for the 1 second delay or when I determine that there isn't an option, I'll post something on the wiki, so others can use this, if they like.

Thanks all,
Cant you just crate a short-cut like done here? https://github.com/elmerohueso/xbmc.repo.elmerohueso

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Prime Video from within Kodi on Fire TV0