SageTV soon to be Open sourced.
Hello friends,
I am a convert from A DVR software called SAGETV. Now this was a very nice piece of DVR work that actually had a bit in common with Kodi. I have said before I like Kodi much more than I did Sage, However, There were aspects, Especially on the Front of Transcoding and the PVR Backend.

Well Today I read some News (also Here.) I find this interesting and wonder/hope that maybe some of the code and ideas from this program will make its way into Kodi, Again especially in the DVR front. (Of course all while remaining Accessible to text to speech software for us V.I. folks, LOL.)

What do you think?
Wow I'm surprised no one has any thoughts?
It is very awesome. IIRC, SageTV was a pretty nice product, and no one has been able to get it ever since 2011 when Google bought them, but they kept working on the software.
There are of course other open source PVR backends already, but I also saw this posted to the mythtv mailing list and it is indeed good news.

It's always good news when a capable product is open sourced. Good stuff.

PS what OSes does Sage run on?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Last I played with it Linux and Windows, However, Since the developer is coming from Google I wonder if we won't see some development source for google boxes as well. Currently I believe there is alot of Sage built into the Google Fiber Tv boxes.

Sage was one of the best I had ever used for managing recordings and Tuners, They also had a plugin system similar to Kodi. Sage also had a plugin for it that was a extremely handy Web Guide that allowed for streaming to other devices and more importantly for us the web guide setup was accessible to V.I. and allowed for us to control sage through it.

Now that is something that Kodi defintly has leaps and bounds over Sage and well EVERYTHING else is that Kodi is SUPER accessible to the V.I. thanks to the efforts of Ruuk and Company.

Sage also had a pretty cool Server setup. Everything was basically streamed and transcoded to the central server, then from there streamed to the extenders. This allowed us to do things like for example I would routinely play youtube videos or other online content easily rewind, FF and more importantly, I would hit record when it was done streaming and it would save the file. This for me worked with literally EVERYTHING we played.

The DVR setup and streaming was very robust as well. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see some kind of combination between Sage and Kodi. This would make for such an amazing setup.
(2015-03-10, 21:18)Traker1001 Wrote: Wow I'm surprised no one has any thoughts?

Major cable companies in US have made it impossible to use anything but WMC if you're working with a cablecard setup. Great news for some, but does nothing for me.
(2015-03-11, 19:44)drpizznock Wrote:

Major cable companies in US have made it impossible to use anything but WMC if you're working with a cablecard setup. Great news for some, but does nothing for me.

you should probably look into FiOS if available in your area. They are pretty wide open minus the starz, hbo, cinamax channels.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2015-03-11, 20:28)bry- Wrote:
(2015-03-11, 19:44)drpizznock Wrote:

you should probably look into FiOS if available in your area. They are pretty wide open minus the starz, hbo, cinamax channels.

I had FiOS through Verizon until they sold the local services to Frontier. Since then everything that isn't OTA is set as copy-once.
(2015-03-11, 21:27)drpizznock Wrote:
(2015-03-11, 20:28)bry- Wrote:
(2015-03-11, 19:44)drpizznock Wrote: Major cable companies in US have made it impossible to use anything but WMC if you're working with a cablecard setup. Great news for some, but does nothing for me.

I had FiOS through Verizon until they sold the local services to Frontier. Since then everything that isn't OTA is set as copy-once.
that blows, sorry for your fios loss.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2015-03-11, 21:32)bry- Wrote:
(2015-03-11, 21:27)drpizznock Wrote:
(2015-03-11, 20:28)bry- Wrote: you should probably look into FiOS if available in your area. They are pretty wide open minus the starz, hbo, cinamax channels.

that blows, sorry for your fios loss.

Ha. Thanks man. I'm using an HD Homerun Prime and perhaps one day somehow there'll be a DTCP-IP based solution for Kodi.
Quote:Major cable companies in US have made it impossible to use anything but WMC if you're working with a cablecard setup. Great news for some, but does nothing for me.

Yeah, I know your frustration on that front. But you miss my point. My point in Sagetv becoming open source, was that I was/am hoping some of the ideas from sage many that aren't directly related to being PVR, make it into and/or Along side of Kodi. Unfortunately for all WMC will probably be the only choice for a while.

Quote: Ha. Thanks man. I'm using an HD Homerun Prime and perhaps one day somehow there'll be a DTCP-IP based solution for Kodi.

Sadly, This will NEVER happen, At least not for Kodi. It sure would be cool though.
There are however many markets where there is plenty of freely available broadcast TV to record, eg:

1. OTA coverage in the US and Canada

2. Freeview in the UK (60 DVB-T TV channels, 26 digital radio channels, 10 HD channels, 6 text services, 11 streamed channels, and 1 interactive channel) as well as Freesat offering much the same range.

3. Freeview in NZ - available on DVB-T and DVB-S, about 12 TV channels and 3 or 4 radio stations.

The list goes on. Just because cable companies have buggered things for one segment of the market, doesn't mean PVR backends are a waste of time in some general sense.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I’m new to Kodi only this year, having used SageTV the last 8-years. I would have moved to Kodi sooner, had I known how simple it was to port everything over.
I miss only 2 things I had in SageTV, but not Kodi:

• Frame-by-frame advance while paused
• Quick access to actor biographical information from within the episode/movie information screen
I installed Arctic. Now I get all sorts of extra info on actors, directors etc.
(2015-03-12, 08:50)nickr Wrote: I installed Arctic. Now I get all sorts of extra info on actors, directors etc.

You've peaked my intrest. Do you mean Arctic: Zephyr? If so, can you put up a quick screenshot?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SageTV soon to be Open sourced.1