Linux 100% CPU at Idle screen Ubuntu 14.04.2 clean install
Any thoughts?

All four cores are pinned, and UI is slow.

I've heard it suggested that this can happen when audio is improperly configured, but I believe mine to be set up properly.

Specs:
AMD Kaveri A10-7850K
8 gigs of RAM
Using IGP.

Setup:
Clean install of Ubuntu 14.04.2
Installed Oibaf PPA for Radeon drivers with video acceleration
Installed ppa:team-xbmc/ppa and installed Kodi.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
Don't use experimental drivers ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-03-22, 00:08)fritsch Wrote: Don't use experimental drivers ...

I was under the impression (from my experience with the MythTV frontend) that if one wants any accelerated video decode on AMD hardware at all, the oibaf drivers are the only way to go.

Either way, the issue went away going to Ubuntu 14.10. I'm guessing it probably has something to do with the level of Kaveri support in the 3.13 line of kernels.

I had hoped to stay on an LTS, especially with Ubuntu going through many rocky changes over the next few releases, but I guess it is what it is.
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
No, no and no.

LTS has -utopic backport kernel.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-03-22, 00:27)fritsch Wrote: No, no and no.

LTS has -utopic backport kernel.

Fair enough. May be an old habit from back before current releases had recent enough gallium support to support UVD video decode.

I guess habits should change with the times.

So you are telling me that current 14.04 open source AMD drivers actually support VDPAU?

I might back it down to 14.04 again, as in the last several years, I've been very wary of using non-LTS Ubuntu releases. I installed this just for a test.

(Actually going to 14.10 seems to have broken MCE remote support for me. Suddenly my "OK" and "back" buttons are no longer registering at all)

I'm aware of the backports, but I had a usb stick with 14.10 kicking around from an other experiment, so I figured I'd just try it.
Yes, of course they do: just install mesa-vdpau-drivers

Only thing you need to do is installing the -lts-utopic kernel _not_ the lts-utopic mesa backports!

See this howto, it's even sticky in the forum: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854 it also tells why a 3.16.x kernel is needed (23.976 fps sync)
(2015-03-22, 08:49)fritsch Wrote: Yes, of course they do: just install mesa-vdpau-drivers

Only thing you need to do is installing the -lts-utopic kernel _not_ the lts-utopic mesa backports!

See this howto, it's even sticky in the forum: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854 it also tells why a 3.16.x kernel is needed (23.976 fps sync)

Ahh, thank you for that.

Mesa-vdpau-drivers won't install for me. Says it has unmet dependencies. (Libcheese-gtk23 >=3.4.0 and libcheese7 >=3.0.1 but I searched the apt-cache and found a mesa-vdpau-drivers-lts-utopic that did install and appears to work...
(2015-04-01, 22:47)mattlach Wrote:
(2015-03-22, 08:49)fritsch Wrote: Yes, of course they do: just install mesa-vdpau-drivers

Ahh, thank you for that.

Mesa-vdpau-drivers won't install for me. Says it has unmet dependencies. (Libcheese-gtk23 >=3.4.0 and libcheese7 >=3.0.1 but I searched the apt-cache and found a mesa-vdpau-drivers-lts-utopic that did install and appears to work...

Hi,

The same dependencies here:

root@Mc:/home/me# apt-get install mesa-vdpau-drivers
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libcheese-gtk23 : Depends: libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 (>= 0.91.8) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcogl15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not going to be installed
libcheese7 : Depends: libclutter-gst-2.0-0 (>= 0.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gstreamer1.0-clutter but it is not going to be installed
libclutter-1.0-0 : Depends: libcogl-pango15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcogl15 (>= 1.15.8) but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You are not running 14.04 but 14.04.X. Ubuntu has fucked up it quite heavily, cause they did not keep compatiblity _packaging_ wise.

Code:
sudo apt-get install mesa-vdpau-drivers-lts-utopic

will do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
100% CPU at Idle screen Ubuntu 14.04.2 clean install0