25fps when watching Live TV
I hope this is the right place to post this, so here goes. I run a WMC backend with a Hauppauge 950 USB tuner. When I'm watching live TV using a Kodi front-end in either Kodi for windows or Kodi for RPi, the codec shows the frame rate for the video as 25 fps. The same program recorded and played back will show the correct 29.9xx fps. It doesn't matter what player I'm using (OMXPlayer or DVDPlayer on the RPi, ffmpeg on windows) Here are a couple of screenshots showing what I mean.

Here it is on the RPi using OMXPlayer:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/osb03zvg7aag1j...0.png?dl=0

Here is the same TV program in windows:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x53oauc2todpu...0.png?dl=0

I live in the US and this seems strange since framerates are roughly 30fps. Again, recordings show roughly 30fps. Is this right?

Here is an excerpt of the ServerWMC log file:
http://paste.debian.net/162724/
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
Same problem here. It happens on 1080i content only. A 720p channel will show 29.97.
(2015-04-08, 04:17)flhctroll Wrote: Same problem here. It happens on 1080i content only. A 720p channel will show 29.97.

Yep, same issue here. Only with 1080i content as well
(2015-04-10, 14:00)rafisher79 Wrote:
(2015-04-08, 04:17)flhctroll Wrote: Same problem here. It happens on 1080i content only. A 720p channel will show 29.97.

Yep, same issue here. Only with 1080i content as well

It may be a typo as I have it as well, but see no degradation ov the video and I think that you would see something. When I use my Dolphin emulator and lose 5 fps in the video, I can see it..

Rob
This isn't a swmc issue, since when playing back a wtv file we just point kodi at the file and tell it to play it. To check this, you should get the same thing if you add the wtv file to kodi's video library (outside of the live tv area), playing it from there you should see the same frame rate. If that's true you need to take this up as a general kodi issue.

If it really only happens with interlaced video, see what happens if you turn interlacing off.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Thanks Krusty - Great addon, by the way! Love that XBMC is so one-stop-shop now

I'll check it on a few machines, Windows, Chromebox OE, and see what it says. Do you think it could be a typo as Rob mentioned? (Is that is a possibility?)
OK, so its showing 25fps on everything (Windows, OpenElec Chromebox) when it's live, but when playing the recorded file, it's showing the proper framerate. Doesn't matter if I choose use DLNA or not on the LiveTV tab. Very strange that it's cross platform.
Fascinating (rip Leonard). What is interesting is not the patform independence but whether the input is wtv or not. In dlna mode and non-dlna mode kodi is not being given the wtv file: in non-dlna mode it is getting a ts file (basically a repackaged wtv) - I don't know what it is getting in dlna mode but its not a wtv.

Continuing this line of experimentation, try this:
1) go to the settings file in swmc and search for Debug_RemuxAllRecordings, change the line it is on to:
<Debug_RemuxAllRecordings>true</Debug_RemuxAllRecordings>
2) save and restart swmc, then restart one of your clients
3) play a file that normally has the 25fps frame rate and see what the framerate is now. Since running in this mode repackages the file being played to ts, based on your live-tv result my guess is you'll get the correct frame rate. It would be very interesting to know if that's true.

Don't forget to change the setting back when you are done (but if you get the right framerate, its up to you I suppose).

I still think the cleanest experiment is to just add the wtv file as a video and play it outside of our addon. If you get the wrong frame rate there, you should submit the file to the kodi team and ask them what's going on.
If you're using a HDHomerun what happens if you use the HDHomerun TV addon?
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Damn Dilligaf, do you have to advertise the competition in our own forum? Smile.
(2015-04-11, 17:25)krustyreturns Wrote: Damn Dilligaf, do you have to advertise the competition in our own forum? Smile.

Ha! It's no competition. I like to be able to record, which HDView cannot. Like I said, this addon was a godsend for me. I never have to leave the XBMC environment now on any TV! simply amazing.

I'll try your suggestions later today when I have a bit of time. Thanks again Krusty
Yeah it's hardly competition, only live tv and no timeshiftin. Just wondering if it's a raw signal thing from the HDHomerun
Besides XBMC supported tuning the HDHomerun for ages.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2015-04-11, 17:15)krustyreturns Wrote: Fascinating (rip Leonard). What is interesting is not the patform independence but whether the input is wtv or not. In dlna mode and non-dlna mode kodi is not being given the wtv file: in non-dlna mode it is getting a ts file (basically a repackaged wtv) - I don't know what it is getting in dlna mode but its not a wtv.

Continuing this line of experimentation, try this:
1) go to the settings file in swmc and search for Debug_RemuxAllRecordings, change the line it is on to:
<Debug_RemuxAllRecordings>true</Debug_RemuxAllRecordings>
2) save and restart swmc, then restart one of your clients
3) play a file that normally has the 25fps frame rate and see what the framerate is now. Since running in this mode repackages the file being played to ts, based on your live-tv result my guess is you'll get the correct frame rate. It would be very interesting to know if that's true.

Don't forget to change the setting back when you are done (but if you get the right framerate, its up to you I suppose).

I still think the cleanest experiment is to just add the wtv file as a video and play it outside of our addon. If you get the wrong frame rate there, you should submit the file to the kodi team and ask them what's going on.

OK, I did this and the recorded file is showing the correct framerate, as does the temporary wtv file from the live stream. When I play the live stream through the addon, however, it still shows 25 fps. Could it be a typo in the details? I don't notice any playback issues, but then again, my eyes aren't as strong as they used to be.
Thanks for the data. So reading this again, I take back what I said (talk about getting old), its a problem with the ts file, not the wtv. I need to go back into the remux code and see what's up with the frame rate. It may be like robmich and you said, it might just be a value that is embedded in the header of the ts file but is of no consequence in playback. The only thing this wouldn't explain is why dlna mode for live tv had the same problem - unless the format the tuner is sending back in this mode is also ts (and it very well could be, since hdhr primes can save output direct to ts). Now that I know its our fault though, I'm sure its nothing to worry about Smile. If I find something I will let you know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
25fps when watching Live TV0