as 2 Music-Server
Question 
I am complety new to this topic. Currently I am testing OpenELEC (with KODI) on a old Samsung N220 netbook. Later I want to use OpenELEC on a Pi.

In the past I had some (mostly bad) experiences with MultiMedia-Center-Hardware. Now I want to do it myself and I have learned what I need and what I don't need.
Before I buy the Pi and (maybe) waste my time I think about some ideas and check if this could work or not. So I am asking not for a solution here. I just want to know if this is possible or not and how much work I have to do for it.

I plan to store my music on the Pi (external USB) and use it as a UPnP-Server. But I have two music archives (my wife and mine) and want to seperate them.
So I need two UPnP-Server instances. Is this possible with Kodi/OpenELEC?

In my current test-system I can not see any way to setup a UPnP-Server. Maybe I have to go to the shell for this? Or do I have to use and AddOn?
It's possible, but that's not what Kodi was designed to do. You would be better off using other software if the goal is to just have a music server.
(2015-03-26, 00:36)Ned Scott Wrote: It's possible, but that's not what Kodi was designed to do. You would be better off using other software if the goal is to just have a music server.

This goal ist not just have a music server. It is a full used "MultimediaCenter" for videos from a NAS, internet-things (like youtube), etc.

What do you mean with "other software". Add someting new to the OpenELEC installation or throw all away and use something completly different?
Maybe I can just install a second UPnP-Server to an existing OpenELEC-/Kodi-Installatiion?
(2015-03-26, 07:57)MoonKid Wrote: What do you mean with "other software". Add someting new to the OpenELEC installation or throw all away and use something completly different?
Maybe I can just install a second UPnP-Server to an existing OpenELEC-/Kodi-Installatiion?
No I think that he meant to suggest that you should not use Kodi/OpenELEC at all since it is not designed to do what you want. Kodi is primary design to be a media player client for the living-room, as such it was simple never design to be a great media server today even though it have some basic server functions.

So instead find try to some other "media server" (not "media player") software (not Kodi) that is designed to do what you want. Better for what you want are probably examples like Media Browser / Emby Server, Subsonic, Ampache, and similar. If you want sometime more appliance like then maybe look at ownCloud which incorporates Ampache and other media servers.

To make an analogy, Kodi is a sports car and you are asking for a car that can handle rough terrain, and that is just not Kodi.
@MoonKid - with Kodi you can have separate profiles/libraries that are exposed in your network via UPNP. BUT these libraries can only be exposed one at a time while running Kodi. You would have to switch into the according user profile (you, your wife) in Kodi to have it show the according library via UPNP.
Mhm... Thank you very much for your explainations. That help me a lot to put Kodi in the "right drawer". Smile

The other software you suggested are only servers. There is to much workload for me and configuration things for such a simple task.

I really like having a full integrated environment like OpenELEC. The last years I tried a lot of different solutions (soft- and hardware) and workarounds for my needs. I don't want it anymore. Wink
So I have to overthink my need to have two music archives. Wink

But I wonder that am I the only person on the world who want to seperate the media?
Wife and Husband, Parent and Kids, Sister and Brother, etc. It could be so simple.
And the profile thing (which is not solution for my special need) shows that Kodi is (kind of) able to handle different media archives. I put it on my long TODO list. I couldn't find a mailinglist of the Kodi-Devs to discuss this issue generally. I wouldn't work on it if this would never be integrated in an official release.

I will check if I can install a second Server (maybe twonky) in OpenELEC and run it paralell to Kodi.
what are your target devices that will play the music from your UPNP server(s)? Maybe there is a different solution for your usecase
Different one. And I think when having this solution (two seperated archives) my wife will develope new useases.

Currently there is a hardware Philips NP2900 client. My wife would use software from her Win8-book, her Android and the Pi-System on the TV (Kodi or something)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
as 2 Music-Server0