Lirc, Kodibuntu & Mac Mini
Hi all

Was hoping somebody can help me. I'm using a late 2014 Mac Mini for Kodi. Ignoring the OSX and Windows versions (I don't want to use them) I've installed Kodi Live for use. The problem is the external IR receiver that came with the (official) Microsoft MCE remote doesn't work. It works fine on Kodi live on an ASUS EB1501 PC which I've been using for years, but not on the Mac Mini.

My assumption is Lirc is detecting the onboard IR receiver in the Mac Mini; There is only one /dev/lirc0 device (no lirc1). I've tried blacklist appleir & blacklist hid_appleir in modprobe.d (hoping to disable internal receiver) but it made no difference.

lsusb shows:
Code:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05ac:8242 Apple, Inc. Built-in IR Receiver
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 05ac:8289 Apple, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
so clearly both IR receivers are there.

my lirc hardware.conf includes:
Code:
REMOTE="Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)"
REMOTE_MODULES="rc_core lirc_dev mceusb"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/event15"
#REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

/dev/input/event15 is the mce remote.

Does anybody have a similar hardware config or suggestions on what to do? Or how to disable the internal Apple IR receiver (hoping then it'd just work like it does on my Asus EB1501)? The external USB IR receiver lights up when a button is pressed, but Kodi does nothing. I don't have an apple remote to test if the other receiver is working/doing anything.

Thanks
-f
I had so many issues with getting the IR remote working on my Mac mini using Ubuntu I moved to those 2.4ghz mini keyboard from eBay and mapped keys . Just worked a lot better and simpler. Maybe worth it over trying go get lirdD working
Why don't you try this link :- https://github.com/kraqh3d/atvclient. It supports MCE as well, i personally use Apple Remote.

You just have to compile the same and also move to libusb-compat so that you are able keep the cpu usage under check.

And it works wonderfully, been using on my Mac mini 2010.

I have not been able to get Kodibuntu booting on my mini though, i believe problem with grub-efi not there or something. Though i didn't try the latest one.

Do remember to uninstall Lirc completely.
Yeah. Kinda wondering about kodi in OSX w/apple remote. I just don't like the minimal remote; I like the info button, home screen button etc.

That said I've now come up with another reason to use OSX (streaming web tv from cable provider via OSX software using my brother's account) so I guess I'm stuck with OSX.

Now I just wish a) the remote worked properly in OSX kodi & b) there was a super easy way to flip between kodi and the streaming program (my wife hates clutter, such as keyboards)
My Mac mini boots direct into kodibuntu using Refit to get round the EFI boot loader

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lirc, Kodibuntu & Mac Mini0