The ChromeBit "Box"
Google just announce a new Chrome device.

CHROMEBIT

It will retail for less than $100 and its made by ASUS.
Rockchip 3288 SoC
2GB of RAM
16GB of eMMC memory
USB 2.0 port
WiFi 802.11 ac support
Bluetooth 4.0, a
Smart Ready controller
ARM Mali 760 quad-core GPU
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Looks pretty neat. I like how the HDMI end swivels so you can position it how you need it. I'm interested to see the controller it comes with. Since it's Chrome OS I'm sure it won't do anything that a Chromebox won't but its pretty cool anyways.
Asus Chromebit

Omfg... Next Kodi player for me. Should be the same to install as Chromebox? It will display 4K!
(2015-03-31, 22:20)Spool Wrote: Looks pretty neat. I like how the HDMI end swivels so you can position it how you need it. I'm interested to see the controller it comes with. Since it's Chrome OS I'm sure it won't do anything that a Chromebox won't but its pretty cool anyways.

Don't think it will come with a controller.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2015-03-31, 22:39)hovnarr Wrote: Omfg... Next Kodi player for me. Should be the same to install as Chromebox? It will display 4K!

No, it shouldn't. It's an entirely different device.
being ARM-based, this will likely run ChromeOS and nothing else - certainly not OpenELEC/Kodi. So unless the Kodi Android app works under ChromeOS (which I don't believe it does), this is completely useless.
(2015-03-31, 22:53)xbs08 Wrote:
(2015-03-31, 22:20)Spool Wrote: Looks pretty neat. I like how the HDMI end swivels so you can position it how you need it. I'm interested to see the controller it comes with. Since it's Chrome OS I'm sure it won't do anything that a Chromebox won't but its pretty cool anyways.

Don't think it will come with a controller.

The article on Engadget mentions a "smart ready controller". After further reading I guess that refers to some sort of Bluetooth functionality and not an actual controller. Bummer.
rk3288 will never have open elec support and android is the last os for a decent mediaplayer (see rk3288 user that are still waiting for hd audio and lollipop after SIX moths)
maybe an april fools? Matt Devo even if this wasn't useless what advantage will this have over a Pi or a firetv or (since not much more for a ) chromebox. Since google are saying they intend to keep chromecast, im not really sure what catogary this product falls in (for google)? infact theres nothing new here. seriously why is there an obsession with dongles, they so small that nothing can be customised
(2015-04-01, 00:24)Roby77 Wrote: rk3288 will never have open elec support and android is the last os for a decent mediaplayer (see rk3288 user that are still waiting for hd audio and lollipop after SIX moths)

Well, maybe the OpenELEC team won't support it... But the RK3288 supports Linux at least since Kernel 3.17, although I understand that there're still some problems with the release of the GPU drivers. So, with time, there's no reason for not having a Linux-based XBMC on those chipsets.

Of course, on top of the early support of RK3288 in Linux, "jailbreaking"/cracking the device might not be as easy as with a Chromebox (actually, most probably won't be easy, and might not be possible at all)

So, while there're reasons to be hopeful, for sure it's not a good idea to run to buy one just yet.
(2015-03-31, 22:39)hovnarr Wrote: Should be the same to install as Chromebox?
No. The Chromebox is an x86 box with a Legacy BIOS option (which Matt Devo and others have improved) which effectively turns it into a PC. The Chromebit is ARM-based - and the Rockchip VPU (more important arguably than GPU - as the VPU does the hardware video decoding) isn't supported by Kodi as it isn't openly documented? Some ARM-based Chromebooks have been hacked to allow them to run Linux rather than Chrome OS - but in this case it may not be that helpful for Kodi.

I suspect that the dongle-based nature of the device may make hacking it trickier too. (Fewer ports and more drivers required in the first instance?)
If Rockchip RK3288 chip runs Android,why can't this device run Android/Kodi?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
RK3288-based media boxes (Open Hour Chameleon, Tronsmart Orion/Meta, Beelink R89, etc.) seem to fall short on 3D, HD audio, 23.976, etc. Maybe better for Android apps, games.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Rk3288 was released on march 2014, first products on september

They promised lollilop before chinese new year but is April and lollipop is in alpha status (lot of bugs)

Rk 3188 takes almost one year to work correctly (if i rember correctly)

I agree that Android is better for games, apps etc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The ChromeBit "Box"0