Asus Chromebox OR Lenovo Q190 HTPC ?
Ok so I've decided to get either one of these two for running Kodi..

Asus Chromebox OR Lenovo Q190 HTPC ?

Which one do you guys think is best? again im fairly new to this, i have basic computer knowledge but im no expert.

Ill just be using it to watch videos and stream music.

the Lenovo Q190 Has 4G ram , and 1.6ghz processing power.

The chromebox basic model has 2g am and 1.4ghz. with the celeron processor.

These are both more than efficient enough to run Kodi even up to the new 4k video quality correct?

which one is my best bet?

I do like the fact that you can dual boot on the chromebox, I was thinking of installing ubuntu, and dual booting between ubuntu and openelec on Chromebox.

My Gbox Mx2 seems to have taken a crap on me and im just tired of messing with it! And i want something with a bit more processing power.

I would also be using this for playing video games if i can ever get the emulators to work.. NES!
Chromebox no questiona s the q190 is running out of date hardware at this point in time with the ivy bridge based Celeron 1017 and the Chromebox is running a haswell based celeron 2955. If I remember right ivy bridge still has some issues with media playback so not really recommended now a days over the haswell based chromebox.
You could check out the Zotac Zbox Bi320 as well. That has the newer Haswell 2957U and is more similar in form factor to the Lenovo Q190.

Here's a thread on it.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211925
(2015-04-02, 19:47)Bri1270 Wrote: You could check out the Zotac Zbox Bi320 as well. That has the newer Haswell 2957U and is more similar in form factor to the Lenovo Q190.

Any benefit over ASUS Chromebox running OpenELEC?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Hardware wise Bi320 has a 2.5 empty slot for an internal HD + SSD.
But both are good choices, it all comes down to requirements and personal preference.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-04-02, 20:34)shabuboy Wrote: Hardware wise Bi320 has a 2.5 empty slot for an internal HD + SSD.
If you get the model with Windows 8.1 Bing. Otherwise the mSATA slot is missing.
(2015-04-02, 20:04)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-04-02, 19:47)Bri1270 Wrote: You could check out the Zotac Zbox Bi320 as well. That has the newer Haswell 2957U and is more similar in form factor to the Lenovo Q190.

Any benefit over ASUS Chromebox running OpenELEC?

I don't know that there's a benefit, unless the form factor works better for you. Personally, I wanted the m.2 sata, as well as the internal 2.5" drive bay, and 4 USB ports on the back because I tend to store everything locally.

I think it's really personal preference.
(2015-04-02, 21:01)Bri1270 Wrote: ...I wanted the m.2 sata...
It's not a m.2 sata. It's mSATA in the BI320 Windows 8.1 w/ Bing.
I use an external HD. The cheapest Ive seen the Asus Chromebox is $160 without the keyboard, with keyboard its around $200.

Is Asus Chromebox compatible with Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard?
I have the Asus Chromebox but got the HP Stream Mini and am really liking the 8.1 start screen with the Flirc/Harmony remote and the ability to use my H800 (bluetooth) headset.
Oh yeah, also look into the HP Stream Mini
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
As far as remotes/keyboards I have Logitech Harmony Smart Control as my controller,
and I have the Logitech K400R Wireless Keyboard as well.

Will these both work with the ASUS Chromebook And the HP Stream Mini?

Im excited to FINALLY get a good box for my TV...

I am really liking the idea of Dual booting Chrome OS or Windows 8 with openelec.

I have some questions bout Asus Chromebook and HP Stream Mini:

1) Are both the Chromebook and HP stream capable of dual booting with 2 Operating systems?

2) Are they both capable of running Ultra High Def. 4K video ?

3) Can I install LInux/Ubuntu On both machines?

Theyre both about the same price, I guess its a matter of if i want Google chrome OS or windows.. which is more secure? I know windows is probably more prone to viruses.
Well, first it's a ChromeBOX not ChromeBOOK (which is something different). Wink

As to the Chromebox.

1. Yes
2. Don't think so, you'll probably need to wait for newer versions with Intel Skylake CPUs to come out before you get Ultra 4K capablilities.
3. Yes.

Most answers can be found by reading the Wiki: http://kodi.wiki/view/ASUS_Chromebox

Or this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
From what I have read and been told, i3 based Broadwell device and haswell devices with the Iris Pro gpu support 4k. I've also seen Asus touting 4k support on their Haswell i3 and i5 Vivo models on their site(the same i3 cpu/gpu combo is an option on Chromebox models), though not sure the exact specs for the 4k support.
WRT to 4K - the Haswell 2955U in the Chromebox supports 4096x2160 output at 23.976/24.00Hz and 3840x2160 at 239.976/24.00/25.00/29.97/30.00Hz. It plays H264 3840x2160 content with VAAPI acceleration. I would expect the 2957U to do the same.

I've tested this with my Asus Chromebox feeding a Sony UHD TV under OpenElec.

The Chromebox doesn't have HDMI 2.0 so you don't get 3840x2160 at 50/60Hz output - and the Intel drivers don't do the nVidia hack of 4:2:0 output (which allows 2160/50p or 60p to be carried within an HDMI 1.4 bandwidth signal)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox OR Lenovo Q190 HTPC ?0