Which box to choose, Asus Chromebox vs Apple Mac Mini or other
Hi,
I currently own a boxee box thats running kodi 14.2. It works great, but are experiencing lag with h264 vids. Its a outdated box, and I'm looking for a new media box so i dont need to tweak so damn much and a kodi thats supported also

I want the possibility to:
- Stream 1080p flawless from NAS (through LAN cable)
- Have the possibility to stream h265 4k in the future
- Netflix + HBO (either ass app or directly in browser window)
- Use a remote / or mobile / tablet mouse app
- Easy connectivity through a VPN (F.ex use american netflix account)

I've got a max budget of approx 500-800 $USD.
I've read alot of these "what is best" threads, but dont find out what im looking for.

As I can see, the Asus Chromebox will suit me fine, and also for future needs. My brother are using the Mac mini as a media station (native OSX, no kodi) and I also think thats a great solution

In advance, thanks for any reply / help!
The Mac Mini is a heck of a lot more expensive than the Chromebox. You really don't need to spend that much to future proof. When the future rolls around, there will be another inexpensive alternative that will fill your needs. That's why it really doesn't make sense to spend any more than the price of the Chromebox on a STB these days. For the other streaming services, just get a Fire TV or Roku to run along side the Chromebox, giving you the best of both worlds.
(2015-04-09, 23:34)dendera Wrote: I want the possibility to:
- Have the possibility to stream h265 4k in the future

4K is unknown at this moment, I wouldn't worry about that but at the same time, I wouldn't spend $500+ these days for a Kodi client Big Grin

Go as cheap as you can depending on your "current" needs, that way you won't feel guilty if something for 4K comes out soon.

Did you read the "Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)" thread?

I vote for AFTV, love mine!
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
The Cheap Amazon Fire TV stick will do all you want except 4K and H265.

Use this as a stop gap measure until Intel release their Skylake microarchitecture later this year that will then give you H265 and proper 4K and HDMI 2.0. This is when you want to get some quality gear and spend some coin. Everything up till that point in time will have to be upgraded again and end up being a waste of money.

(2015-04-10, 04:26)wrxtasy Wrote: The Cheap Amazon Fire TV stick will do all you want except 4K and H265.

Use this as a stop gap measure until Intel release their Skylake microarchitecture later this year that will then give you H265 and proper 4K and HDMI 2.0. This is when you want to get some quality gear and spend some coin. Everything up till that point in time will have to be upgraded again and end up being a waste of money.

Thanks, for all of your replies! How would one compare the Rasberry P 2 vs AFTV ?
wrxtasy is spot on
shabuboy is referring to this
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268

read the first post, a good breakdown.

are you accustomed to selling second hand goods on ebay or elsewhere? buy something now that fits your needs and when something better comes along (skylake) then sell and use the proceeds to fund your next model.

think cost of ownership.
after you read that thread come back and list your needs (high def audio, refresh rate etc)
(2015-04-10, 09:24)dendera Wrote: Thanks, for all of your replies! How would one compare the Rasberry P 2 vs AFTV ?

No Netflix or HBO on the RPi2, but it is a better pure Kodi only platform than the AFTV which is still very capable.

Thanks again, I see AFTV as a perfect choice, but I have difficulty getting it from amazon worldwide sites since they dont ship it to Norway.

Will a Chromebox be able to play HBO + Netflix (browser) in full HD + surround ? Or is it a netflix and HBO app for the OS ?

With the parallell import of a fire tv + shipping + customs, I can just use some extra cash and get a chromebox with a norwegian warrenty ect.
Right now the only way to get HBO Now is with the Apple TV, or with a Sling TV app, which is not available on the Chromebox. Netflix will work on the Chromebox if you do a Ubuntu install.
Apple's exclusivity to HBO Now is only 3 months so it will be on other devices. It is unknown if it will work on the Chromebox.

http://qz.com/358949/before-you-run-out-...read-this/
Afaik is coming to Google Chrome, and I'd imagine it's a matter of time before it's coming to ie11+ and Safari 8+. It could probably work in Kodi the same way that netflixbmc works. But surround wont work for the time being, in any browser.
(2015-04-09, 23:34)dendera Wrote: Hi,
I currently own a boxee box thats running kodi 14.2. It works great, but are experiencing lag with h264 vids. Its a outdated box, and I'm looking for a new media box so i dont need to tweak so damn much and a kodi thats supported also

Stupid me I didn't even know this was possible on my old boxee boxes. I looked up the instructions but before I dust them off. Can I ask are the lags HD or SD? Wired or wireless?

I am trying to bring more TVs into the Kodi fold so the two BBs I have would not be on heavily used TVs. Is it more trouble than its worth?

One other, probably STUPID question, but as I understand it Kodi has a Netflix add-on which I assume supports profiles. Can you use it that way on BB and avoid the NF app that does not support profiles?
Dont think Google release Chrome binaries for ARM (except for android/chromeos). So no, you can't run Netflix on BB.
(2015-04-10, 20:25)BeesKnees Wrote:
(2015-04-09, 23:34)dendera Wrote: Hi,

Stupid me I didn't even know this was possible on my old boxee boxes. I looked up the instructions but before I dust them off. Can I ask are the lags HD or SD? Wired or wireless?

I am trying to bring more TVs into the Kodi fold so the two BBs I have would not be on heavily used TVs. Is it more trouble than its worth?

One other, probably STUPID question, but as I understand it Kodi has a Netflix add-on which I assume supports profiles. Can you use it that way on BB and avoid the NF app that does not support profiles?

All the info is here: http://boxeed.in/forums/viewforum.php?f=5

As for the lag, its the same with USB stick and SD-card (class 10). But I'm gonna tweak the advancedsettings.xml file and see if that does the trick. If not, ill switch back to native bb os, thats lag free and buy a sweet chromebox
If you want future proofing and I dont know to what extent and how much of it is on offer with Nvidia Console, but they claim it is the first 4k Android TV device, that will be hitting in May. I dont know how much of its 4k capability translates to Kodi but it will probably have other standard streaming apps probably performing at 4K (such as Netflix)

Might be worth looking into. It will be about the same as Chromebox ($200- with a game controller and remote and all that)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which box to choose, Asus Chromebox vs Apple Mac Mini or other0