Sound Addons - discussion
(2015-04-18, 13:54)ronie Wrote: 2015-04-18 sound addons

instead of including sounds files within your skin,
they can now be submitted to the addon repo as a separate addon.

we recommend each skinner to submit their sounds as a separate addon, as this :
- makes the size of the skins somewhat smaller
- makes it easy for users to select a different set a sound files if they wish to do so

(the old way of including sounds files within the skin is still supported of course)

This is such a great addition!

Will resource.uisounds.skinname be automatically installed when the skin is updated / installed or should we add it to addon.xml as a dependency?

If we remove the sounds folder from the skin, I have noticed that there are no GUI sounds unless they are selected in the settings. Does this mean that all users have to select the GUI sounds? (I guess to avoid this, we can still just leave the sounds folder within the skin.)
(2015-04-19, 14:05)Gade Wrote: Will resource.uisounds.skinname be automatically installed when the skin is updated / installed or should we add it to addon.xml as a dependency?

If we remove the sounds folder from the skin, I have noticed that there are no GUI sounds unless they are selected in the settings. Does this mean that all users have to select the GUI sounds? (I guess to avoid this, we can still just leave the sounds folder within the skin.)

to be honest, i haven't yet tested it myself :-)
but i'm pretty sure you'll have to add the sound file as a dependency in your addon.xml
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2015-04-19, 18:10)ronie Wrote:
(2015-04-19, 14:05)Gade Wrote: Will resource.uisounds.skinname be automatically installed when the skin is updated / installed or should we add it to addon.xml as a dependency?

to be honest, i haven't yet tested it myself :-)
but i'm pretty sure you'll have to add the sound file as a dependency in your addon.xml

Cool, will do that. Smile

As it works right now, if the sounds folder is not included within the skin, there are no GUI sounds. If the sounds folder is included within the skin, those sounds will be selected by default.

I don't find it very user friendly that users have to manually select the GUI sounds, if the skin sounds folder is not present.
(2015-04-19, 19:24)Gade Wrote: As it works right now, if the sounds folder is not included within the skin, there are no GUI sounds. If the sounds folder is included within the skin, those sounds will be selected by default.

I don't find it very user friendly that users have to manually select the GUI sounds, if the skin sounds folder is not present.

i just tested it and the results on my end are rather different...

fresh install, so only confluence is available, and it uses confluence sounds out of the box.
install a new skin (that does include a sound folder), after switching to this skin it is still using confluence sounds.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2015-04-19, 19:37)ronie Wrote:
(2015-04-19, 19:24)Gade Wrote: As it works right now, if the sounds folder is not included within the skin, there are no GUI sounds. If the sounds folder is included within the skin, those sounds will be selected by default.

i just tested it and the results on my end are rather different...

fresh install, so only confluence is available, and it uses confluence sounds out of the box.
install a new skin (that does include a sound folder), after switching to this skin it is still using confluence sounds.

That's weird. It doesn't select "Skin default" as the first selection?

But that's probably because I install over an existing Kodi installation. Skin default is the previous selection.

I just think about users not installing from fresh and who have Skin default selected - if the skin doesn't have a sound folder, no GUI sounds will be heard. (I'm worried about the amount of people complaining in the forums Smile )
seems to be a known issue, if i read the PR comments correctly:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6557#i...t-83060831
move to a separate thread...
(2015-04-19, 21:42)ronie Wrote: seems to be a known issue, if i read the PR comments correctly:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6557#i...t-83060831

Yeah, looks like it. Thanks for looking into this.

I'll submit a sound add-on, but keep the sound folder within the skin for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound Addons - discussion0