Flirc - Harmony 650
I'm running KodiBuntu (the latest release, AFAIK) on AMD 64 bit. I ran XBMCBuntu for years and recently started from scratch to take advantage of newer Kodi and Ubuntu 14.04 features.

Traditionally I just use a wireless keyboard, however, recently I decided to try a universal remote. A little research and I ended up with a Logitech Harmony 650 and Flirc.

It's not working and I'm not sure where (or how) to begin troubleshooting.

I installed the Flirc device (physically) and then followed the instructions on their website. Basically, I added a repository to the sources, and then ran a sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get install flirc. It's clearly defined on the flirc.tv website.

With my Harmony 650 I selected Flirc for the manufacturer and XBMC for the model. Other devices work with the remote.

That's the total of what I've done.

Have I missed anything obvious?

Should this work even though my (logitech) wireless keyboard is still attached?

What can I do to troubleshoot (USB, Flirc receiving, passing to Kodi, etc.)?

BTW, CEC is there, although I'm not using it and it doesn't seem to work. I do get messages about it though. It works upstairs on my Raspberry PI setup, but that's not related, just FYI.

Thanks in advance for any nudges (or good solid kicks) in the right direction.
Normally you should not be in need of any repository.

I use a Flirc dongle for myself, and I never installed any repository to get it working. Except you are in need of configuring it under linux. I did it on a windows machine and then plugged the dongle to my HTPC.

This video descripes it very fine, what you have to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThjOmpwKgh8

For a first guess...as you have already a device configured on your harmony (and it wouldn´t matter which device you defined, because Flirc works with ANY remote) you have to learn those buttons to the dongle by using the flirc software. Follow the steps in the video. After this is done and Flirc "understands" those buttons, you can plug it in your HTPC (or start kodi...depends on which machine you configured the Flirc dongle) and you should be done.

Greets
Excellent. This fixed the problem.

For anyone reading this later.

I'm assuming I didn't need to install anything on the KodiBuntu box.

What I needed to do was go to my Windows machine and install the Flirc software there. This gives the ability to "program" the Flirc device with the keystrokes from my remote. Very slick. Once I'd programmed the Flirc I re-inserted it into my KodiBuntu box and my universal remote worked.

Thank you David1977

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flirc - Harmony 6500