v14 Disabled mpeg2 hardware acceleration
Question 
Hi:

I've tested watching TV hardware acceleration disabled for mpeg2 dvb in Spain on a rpi2 and seems to work smooth enough for a 720p screen.
So I'd like to disabled mpeg2 default hardware acceleration.
Is there a way to do it through the advancedsettings.xml?

Thanks!
Offhand I'm not sure, but can't you just comment out the license line in the Pi's config.txt file?
(2015-04-24, 09:53)Ned Scott Wrote: Offhand I'm not sure, but can't you just comment out the license line in the Pi's config.txt file?
There is no mpeg2 license line in my config.txt, mainly becase I don't have one.
(2015-04-24, 10:04)chochis Wrote:
(2015-04-24, 09:53)Ned Scott Wrote: Offhand I'm not sure, but can't you just comment out the license line in the Pi's config.txt file?
There is no mpeg2 license line in my config.txt, mainly becase I don't have one.

Then you have hardware acceleration of MPEG2 disabled. The Pi and Pi 2 will only hardware accelerate if you have bought the licence and put it in the config.txt file.

However - where are you getting DVB 720p MPEG2 in Europe? Almost all European HDTV is H264 not MPEG2 - which the Pi / Pi 2 decodes in hardware as standard. You can disable hardware decoding in Settings->Video->Acceleration (you need to enable Advanced or Expert settings) if you ensure both OMX and MMAL are disabled.

There is a very small amount of MPEG2 HD DVB-C cable stuff (Virgin Media in the UK for instance) - but all the DVB-T/T2 and DVB-S/S2 HDTV stuff I'm aware of is H264. When you hit "o" when you are playing this DVB stuff what codec is being used for replay?
Thumbs Up 
(2015-04-24, 10:36)noggin Wrote:
(2015-04-24, 10:04)chochis Wrote:

Then you have hardware acceleration of MPEG2 disabled. The Pi and Pi 2 will only hardware accelerate if you have bought the licence and put it in the config.txt file.

However - where are you getting DVB 720p MPEG2 in Europe? Almost all European HDTV is H264 not MPEG2 - which the Pi / Pi 2 decodes in hardware as standard. You can disable hardware decoding in Settings->Video->Acceleration (you need to enable Advanced or Expert settings) if you ensure both OMX and MMAL are disabled.

There is a very small amount of MPEG2 HD DVB-C cable stuff (Virgin Media in the UK for instance) - but all the DVB-T/T2 and DVB-S/S2 HDTV stuff I'm aware of is H264. When you hit "o" when you are playing this DVB stuff what codec is being used for replay?

Sure thing! No hardware acceleration on mi rpi2 :-)
What I want is to set HW Acceleration off only to mpeg2. Becase if it is on even I don't have the mpeg2 key Kodi wont try to do it by software. It will just display a background image.
That is the tested I did. I turned off HW Acceleration for everything and was able to watch DVB channels without a hassle. Only that the current mpeg2 library does not deinterlace the frames but I can live with it.
Here in Spain DVB most of the channels are still emiting in mpeg2 under 720p (480 or similar) and the main channel it is also broadcasted in mpeg4. So what I want its to be able to watch both without touching the configuration every time.

THANKS!
Can you post a debug log (wiki)?
Playing video without a MPEG-2 licence should just switch to software decode automaticlly.
Make sure video acceleration settings are set to default (make sure MMAL is enabled).
(2015-04-24, 12:42)popcornmix Wrote: Can you post a debug log (wiki)?
Playing video without a MPEG-2 licence should just switch to software decode automaticlly.
Make sure video acceleration settings are set to default (make sure MMAL is enabled).

There you go: http://xbmclogs.com/pwf0fdd9n It starts the playback around line 1600
So, the sounds works but no video at all when HW Acceleration is enabled.
(2015-04-24, 19:43)chochis Wrote: There you go: http://xbmclogs.com/pwf0fdd9n It starts the playback around line 1600

Are you sure you don't have MMAL disabled in video/acceleration settings?
(2015-04-24, 11:14)chochis Wrote: That is the tested I did. I turned off HW Acceleration for everything and was able to watch DVB channels without a hassle. Only that the current mpeg2 library does not deinterlace the frames but I can live with it.
Here in Spain DVB most of the channels are still emiting in mpeg2 under 720p (480 or similar) and the main channel it is also broadcasted in mpeg4. So what I want its to be able to watch both without touching the configuration every time.

I think you are confusing 720x576 - which is 576i, with 1280x720 - which is 720p. (Both have 720 in their name, but we use the vertical resolution to define the resolution not the horizontal...)

480i is the US SD standard, 576i is the European SD standard. SD is often broadcast in MPEG2 on DVB platforms (though there is some H264 now).

HD (720p and 1080i) is almost always H264 not MPEG2 in Europe - with a few exceptions.
(2015-04-24, 22:08)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-04-24, 19:43)chochis Wrote: There you go: http://xbmclogs.com/pwf0fdd9n It starts the playback around line 1600

Are you sure you don't have MMAL disabled in video/acceleration settings?

Pretty sure!
http://imgur.com/GLygPQy
(2015-04-24, 23:19)noggin Wrote:
(2015-04-24, 11:14)chochis Wrote: That is the tested I did. I turned off HW Acceleration for everything and was able to watch DVB channels without a hassle. Only that the current mpeg2 library does not deinterlace the frames but I can live with it.

I think you are confusing 720x576 - which is 576i, with 1280x720 - which is 720p. (Both have 720 in their name, but we use the vertical resolution to define the resolution not the horizontal...)

480i is the US SD standard, 576i is the European SD standard. SD is often broadcast in MPEG2 on DVB platforms (though there is some H264 now).

HD (720p and 1080i) is almost always H264 not MPEG2 in Europe - with a few exceptions.

You are right! I was just poiting out that I am able to rescalate to 720 without HW Acceleration.
(2015-04-24, 23:49)chochis Wrote: Pretty sure!
http://imgur.com/GLygPQy

It's not behaving how I would expect. You should see "OMXPlayer unsuitable due to video codec" in log.
I'm not sure what version of code Xbian is using. Can you test an OE 5.0.8 build and confirm if it behaves the same way?
(2015-04-25, 13:45)popcornmix Wrote: It's not behaving how I would expect. You should see "OMXPlayer unsuitable due to video codec" in log.
I'm not sure what version of code Xbian is using. Can you test an OE 5.0.8 build and confirm if it behaves the same way?
Yeah sure, why not! I will backup my xbian and see what happens with OpenElec 508.
Same thing happened in OpenElec:
With HW Acceleration: Just sound
Without: Can watch a mpeg2 tv show.
http://sprunge.us/TFJd
Tonight just playing around with the configuration of the HW Acceleration seems that disabling the OMX Player and leaving the AMML enabled works for me, so playing mpeg2 by software and getting HDTV and mkv films by hardware.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disabled mpeg2 hardware acceleration0