HEVC on Atom-based Nvidia Ion System
I'm using a Nvidia Ion HTPC with an Atom 330 Dual Core. Any chances there will be HW accelerated decoding of HEVC (h.265) videos? I tried one the other day on Kodi Helix with HW acceleration enabled, but playback stuttered making the video unwatchable.

The roadmap for Kodi 15 mentions a better support for HEVC, would an upgrade to a nightly build resolve my issues?

I know that the hardware I'm using is really on the low end, but I'm just hoping that maybe I can live with my old HTPC for a little longer.
No. Software decoding only, you should still be able to play elementary (very basic) h265 streams up to 720p in cpu, that ION gpu simply does not support h265 at all period...

Yes upgrading kodi will help, but again you are very limited on what you can play in cpu decoding with that.

And tbh, you dont really need h265 hw decoding or even h265 software decoding, now do you? Be honest!
Well, I just thought h265 would be awesome since the video files are much smaller with that codec. Well, I already thought that my CPU is just too weak to do proper hevc decoding.

Is there a list of hardware that's going to work well with h265 on kodi 15? What about a celeron system with intel hd graphics? Any info on how it's performing with software encoding?
(2015-04-24, 14:10)pwriesnik Wrote: the video files are much smaller with that codec

I'm taking the view that the pennies I'd save on disc space would all be spent on CPU grunt to encode and new HTPCs to play it back... I'm sticking with H.264 on my IONs for the foreseeable future...!
(2015-04-24, 14:42)Prof Yaffle Wrote:
(2015-04-24, 14:10)pwriesnik Wrote: the video files are much smaller with that codec

I'm taking the view that the pennies I'd save on disc space would all be spent on CPU grunt to encode and new HTPCs to play it back... I'm sticking with H.264 on my IONs for the foreseeable future...!

ding! ding!
(2015-04-24, 14:10)pwriesnik Wrote: Well, I just thought h265 would be awesome since the video files are much smaller with that codec. Well, I already thought that my CPU is just too weak to do proper hevc decoding.

Is there a list of hardware that's going to work well with h265 on kodi 15? What about a celeron system with intel hd graphics? Any info on how it's performing with software encoding?

It's going to be at least a year before decent reliable and proper detail retaining h265 encoding is available.
Works great currently for some films, especially recent ones that were filmed in digital and have no grain, you're talking an easy 65-70% reduction in size for fast moving "michael bay" type rubbish Vs any h264 encode.

However, the problem with x265 (only decent h265 encoder available) is that detail retention is awful for anything with even the slightest amount of grain.

Check out the doom9.org forums where there's a thread where developers discuss etc and it's pretty clear we're nowhere near the point of "converting over to h265".

If you do consider upgrading with the main reason being to have access to useable h265 decoding, you might as well wait unless you have other good reasons for doing so.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC on Atom-based Nvidia Ion System0