OS X 14.2/15b1 Crashes on playback - Failed to init VDA decoder
Kodi has started to crash on my iMac now. At first I thought it was the version so I updated to the latest beta and still same result. This is the error in the logfile: http://pastebin.com/UMujc374

Code:
10:51:44 T:4617777152   ERROR: VDA::CDecoder - Failed to init VDA decoder: -12473
10:51:44 T:4617777152  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
10:51:44 T:4617777152  NOTICE:  fps: 23.976024, pwidth: 1280, pheight: 720, dwidth: 1280, dheight: 720
10:51:44 T:4617777152  NOTICE: Display resolution USER : 1920x1080@ 24.00 #2 - Full Screen (17)
1. please post a full and uncut debug log (wiki) to pastebin
2. If its crashing please also post the crashreport log from OSX.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Also for the VDA error:

Quote: -12473, kVDADecoderDecoderFailedErr - An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available on the system but currently in use by another process.

So make sure you are trying to decode a file that can be decoded with VDA and no other applications are using VDA currently.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Nothing else is playing/decoding on the mac.

Full log: http://pastebin.com/KN4fzcVM

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start Kodi
2. Play video file
3. Fore quite because it's hung

No crashreport log exists either as I have to force quit Kodi, it doesn't crash by itself. Just hangs.
Please post a new debug log (wiki) (meaning debugging must be turned on to be usefull...)
It was too big to post to pastbin so had to paste here: http://tny.cz/7c2ef436
Could you turn off the sync to display / resample audio stuff in settings->video->playback for a try?
(2015-05-06, 10:44)Memphiz Wrote: Could you turn off the sync to display / resample audio stuff in settings->video->playback for a try?

Perfect, that did the trick. Thanks very much.
Are you sure you had that issue on 14.2 as well?
I definitely had the same symptoms as this was the only reason I upgraded to the beta. Without going back and running debug probably a little difficult to say the cause was the same?
I seem to have the same problem. With 14.2 and 15b1 I get no video and choppy audio if I turn on "Sync to display / resample audio" regardless of other playback options. 14.2 becomes unresponsive and has to be terminated by force quitting. With 15b1 I can use the stop button to get back to the main GUI. I'll try to create a couple of debug logs as soon as I have time to spare.
"The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television." (Videodrome (1983), David Cronenberg)
This time I had to force quit in both cases. 14.2 played with choppy audio and no video.15b1 didn't play at all. "Sync playback to display/resample audio" was selected in both cases.

14.2 debug log

15b1 debug log

In case it's related I thought I'd mention that I have been unable to achieve fully smooth playback with 14.0 and 14.1, despite having turned on the sync/resample option. I got audio and video with those versions, but with some video stuttering every few minutes. With Gotham I'm able to achieve mostly smooth playback. My Mac Mini has the Intel HD Graphics 4000, that, as I understand it, doesn't support 23.976 fps playback (only 24.0 fps), so I need the sync/resample option activated to be able to get fully smooth playback.
"The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television." (Videodrome (1983), David Cronenberg)
Could you please try 15.x with "sync playback ..." enabled and audio configured for passthrough. Then please play some video with an audio stream which matches passthrough config. This way we have "sync playback .." enabled but resample audio disabled because of passthrough.

p.s.
I don't download logs from anywhere. pastebin or similar is much better
(2015-05-07, 21:09)FernetMenta Wrote: Could you please try 15.x with "sync playback ..." enabled and audio configured for passthrough. Then please play some video with an audio stream which matches passthrough config. This way we have "sync playback .." enabled but resample audio disabled because of passthrough.

p.s.
I don't download logs from anywhere. pastebin or similar is much better

I don't own an audio interface that supports decoding of DTS/Dolby Digital, but I enabled passthrough anyway and played a video file with Dolby Digital encoded audio. The debug log reports passthrough failed. Still no video and I had to force quit the application.

Debug log on Pastebin.
@Memphiz check the videorefclock thread T:4587806720 It seems to die. Last life sign:
14:41:03 T:4587806720 DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Detected refreshrate: 24.000 hertz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
14.2/15b1 Crashes on playback - Failed to init VDA decoder0