Bought a RPi2 Need some Help
Maybe I am jumping the gun but my RPi2 should be here tomorrow and i was looking to get as much info as possible for setting it up (not great in linux). It seems openELEC is the OS of choice for kodi so I was planning to run that. I bought the starter kit off amazon so it looks like it comes with an 8gb NOOBS sd card. Looks like i just pop that in with the ethernet and select OpenELEC and it downloads and installs it. Correct?

That should get my Kodi installed. My next question is my 2 other boxes running kodi in the house have the exact same setup for my skin (aeon nox) is there a way for me to move all those skin settings/folders and settings gui files to the openelec machine? as well as my playlist?

Also I am running mysql but i didnt change any settings with the artwork download, will I need to adjust any of that for the RPi?
1. Correct. There will be a small amount of space lost of the SD card because the NOOBS install stores some recovery files, but it's not a whole lot, IIRC, and worth the tradeoff for how easy it is to install OE on NOOBS. If you are worried about saving space you can erase the SD card and go to http://raspberrypi.org/download/ and use the network NOOBS installer, and that will use less space. You'll just need the Pi to be connected to an ethernet cable for the network NOOBS installer.

2. You could try Add-on:Backup (wiki).

3. You shouldn't need to do anything special for the Pi for MySQL. Just set it up as you would the other two boxes.
As a recent newcomer to the Pi myself, I can give you my couple tips for the Pi 2B.

The NOOBS dual boot setup is painless; the default stays with whichever OS you used last and Raspian doesn't take up much room, but gives you Config, a Terminal and a web browser among other things. (I'd try it awhile to get the hang of the Pi 2B, it is fast enough to run Firefox, GIMP, and LibreOffice acceptably, even without overclocking.)

You need to think of the SD card as the HD of the Pi. Swap the card and change the functionality of the Pi.

The first thing I'd do is get a 16 (or better) gig Class 10 card, and learn how to backup/clone the cards, as all your hard-learned progress will be on one. I wouldn't erase the original card, especially if it has a raspberry on it!:] btw, when you connect the Cat5 to the Pi for the first boot, it will also upgrade the software.

Be sure to shut your software down before pulling the plug; that seems to be the main source of card corruption, which is relatively rare anyway.
(2015-05-13, 23:42)Ned Scott Wrote: 1. Correct. There will be a small amount of space lost of the SD card because the NOOBS install stores some recovery files, but it's not a whole lot, IIRC, and worth the tradeoff for how easy it is to install OE on NOOBS. If you are worried about saving space you can erase the SD card and go to http://raspberrypi.org/download/ and use the network NOOBS installer, and that will use less space. You'll just need the Pi to be connected to an ethernet cable for the network NOOBS installer.

2. You could try Add-on:Backup (wiki).

3. You shouldn't need to do anything special for the Pi for MySQL. Just set it up as you would the other two boxes.

Thanks Ned. My question I guess is with the Pi how do i get to the advancedsettings file? or create it for that matter? On windows its all GUI so its easy to just %appdata% and such. But I guess I am confused how I can create that file and how do i move all my playlist over to the pi? I could re-create them if need be but it would be nice to just copy them.

also will i be ssh'ing to it? or does openelec have a gui?
I would make the advancedsettings.xml file on a normal desktop PC and then either put it on a USB drive or a file share and use the file manager (wiki) on the Pi to move it into the profile directory (which will be the userdata folder).
if you are running OpenElec ( no idea if OSMC is doing simmilar) then the userdata folder is available via a network share so that you can browse to this via Windows explorer and create and modify as.xml directly from your Windows PC.
Got it all working. thanks guys! there was a little trouble but for the most part it went fairly smooth.
I have one more question and perhaps I need to start another thread for this but when I turn my rpi on now and it loads xbmc it says cec anynet+ enabled. does that mean I can control kodi through my samsung tv remote? If so how would I go about setting this up?
yes, you can control your PI via CEC. You probably have to enable CEC support on your TV in order to forward keypresses to connected devices. At least on my LG I have to enable it. On Kodi side there is usually nothing to configure. You can however make use of extended CEC features and automatically switch the input of your TV to Kodi or turn the TV off when Kodi is shutting down etc - to do so go to Settings -> System -> Peripherals and select the CEC adapter there. You'll get a dialog with additional CEC options to configure.
(2015-05-15, 15:55)hewligun Wrote: I have one more question and perhaps I need to start another thread for this but when I turn my rpi on now and it loads xbmc it says cec anynet+ enabled. does that mean I can control kodi through my samsung tv remote? If so how would I go about setting this up?

Make sure TV was powered and on correct input when Pi booted.
Try pressing buttons on the remote (e.g. left/right/up/down) does anything happen?
If not, press the AnyNet+ button on remote (or navigate to AnyNet+ menu in TV menu and select the Pi as the device).
You shouldn't have to do anything in Kodi - CEC is enabled by default.
(2015-05-15, 16:16)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-05-15, 15:55)hewligun Wrote: I have one more question and perhaps I need to start another thread for this but when I turn my rpi on now and it loads xbmc it says cec anynet+ enabled. does that mean I can control kodi through my samsung tv remote? If so how would I go about setting this up?

Make sure TV was powered and on correct input when Pi booted.
Try pressing buttons on the remote (e.g. left/right/up/down) does anything happen?
If not, press the AnyNet+ button on remote (or navigate to AnyNet+ menu in TV menu and select the Pi as the device).
You shouldn't have to do anything in Kodi - CEC is enabled by default.

It is working. Is there a way for me to do a little but of customization? like if i press the A, B, C, D buttons it opens youtube for example or does a page down, page up?
(2015-05-15, 17:43)hewligun Wrote: It is working. Is there a way for me to do a little but of customization? like if i press the A, B, C, D buttons it opens youtube for example or does a page down, page up?

As long as button presses are detected (note: it's up to TV which buttons are forwarded - kodi can't make use of a button that TV doesn't forward),
then you can change the function of them. For example I have:
Code:
# cat .kodi/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml
<keymap>
<global>
<remote>
<red>ContextMenu</red>
<green>Info</green>
<yellow>ShowSubtitles</yellow>
<blue>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</blue>
<skipminus>Rewind</skipminus>
<skipplus>FastForward</skipplus>
</remote>
</global>
<FullscreenVideo>
<remote>
<blue>CodecInfo</blue>
</remote>
</FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

See: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap
and perhaps consider the keymap editor: http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor
Apologies for bumping someone else's thread but this was all I could find through my attempts to search.

I just bought a Pi2 and would like to add a custom skin (ie a skin available on the main repo that's I've done a little self tailoring to) but I'm lost as to how and where. I've found the Pi as a network share and found the addon_data folder and copied the skin there but Kodi doesn't see it. There's nothing in the file structure on the SD Card with OpenElec on it to indicate what folder to put the skin, or any other add-on for that matter, into the way you can through appdata on a PC. I've even downloaded a skin through the repo to see if that can lead me to where I need to put things but I can't even find it.

Can anyone offer some assistance?

Thanks!
Copy the skin folder into .kodi/addons not .kodi/userdata/addon_data

The .kodi/addons folder isn't made available as an SMB share, so you'll have to copy the files using something like FileZilla (and sftp), or ssh, wget the zip file, unzip into .kodi/addons.

Although if you have a zip, the easiest method is to copy the zip into the Downloads folder (the SMB share) then in the Kodi GUI go to Settings > Add-ons > Install from zip file, navigate to Home folder, downloads then select your skin zip and click OK.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks for the input. So if I have the skin folder can I just zip that, copy to the downloads share and then install from zip?

One thing I'm discovering is the Pi is so easy yet it's not! But still pretty cool so far.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bought a RPi2 Need some Help0