M8 S802 crashes on Kodi
I recieved the M8 S802 Android TV box a couple of days ago.
The minute I opened the package the device came flying out and landed on the floor.
It's partialy the way it was packaged and partialy the way I opened it so I don't feel OK with returning it.

Now, the device works fine on most occasions.
It plays 1080P content nicely.

The problem is it crashes at some points -

It's got Kodi 14.0 preinstalled, and when I go to the language settings the device always crashes and reboots.

I unistalled it and installed 14.2 (ARM version) but whenever I open it the app immediately crashes (not the device).
Other video player apps are working fine.
The device does crash from time to time on other places but not very often.

I don't really think this is caused by the fall since it's crashing over and over at the same software places but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think?
You should flash a custom version but with the USB burning tool in PC so it wipes the thing properly, there is also OpenElec builds for these devices. I recommend you the following page for info.
I really recommend you flash using the tool in PC, then flash anthing you want using recovery or TWRP

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...tv-players
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
Your dropping it was serendipity and is not at the root of your issues. I suspect the included Kodi 14 was a proprietary version specifically modded for that hardware, and update to 14.2 is probably not in the cards unless the manufacturer has done the update and fiddled with the file. Either take full control with a custom rom or revert back to Kodi 14 if you can, alternatively get rid of Kodi and try SPMC modified for Android and is using 14.2 code.
Thanks for the advices, guys!

The Kodi 14.0 that comes with the device crashes as well, and also apps outside of Kodi such as Youtube crash from time to time.
So I guess I will go the rooting way or try to get my money back if possible.
That's not good, If you have access to the Google play store download and install SPMC, bet it runs fine. I found a few of the M8's I worked on great, but most ship with a proprietary version of XBMC 13.3 and others users noted that to make the move to Kodi 14.2 a new rom bios would have to be installed.
Sure, I'll try the SPMC app when I get home but it won't solve the crashes that happen with other apps such as Youtube.
I think the new rom bios is the way to go here, but the latest I found is from Jan 2015, and I believe this is the one the device came with (plus propriety Kodi 14.0) so not sure what good it'll do.
do you have square or round box? did you check the link to forum i posted
There's a lot of people with these boxes, so try and keep us informed on success or failure. My thinking is that you're running out of working ram space, SPMC might be the charm if that is the case, it's a bit lighter. But if it's dying with outside software, then it may be hardware. Does the box get hot? Can you pin down some of the issues to one type of video codec?
i own a tronsmart vega s89 so is the same if you have the round box. i know the problems of these boxes but that rpoblem you mention is not that common and worst in a brand new device. just do what i advaiced first and do read thru the respective forum threads - freaktab
Veronica, my box is the square one.
Yes, I went inside the link you posted and found some interesting info.
I'll dig deeper if needed.

PatK, I tried SPMC last night.
It installs fine but crashes the minute I open it, just like the Kodi 14.2 I installed.

I don't think the issues have anything to do with codecs because the crashes don't happen while playing videos.
No, the box doesn't get worm.
Do you now think it is possible this is caused by me dropping the box? maybe a cracked component or something...

I think my next step is trying to replace the ROM.

This is the build that's on the device:

k200_m8_h-eng 4.4.2 KOT49H 20150114.V0823 test-keys

And this is the newest build I found:

M8N-user 4.4.2 KOT49H 20150122 test-keys

You think it will make a difference?
And also, what's the best way to backup my current and official ROM?
to backup your rom, first check if it's rooted. if not root it and install recovery. backup using recovery or TWRP if is available for that model.
try the latest oficial rom .img and flash with USB Burning Tool. Hopefully you didn't purchase a clone
I want to save me the option of returning it.
If I root it wont the seller know I fiddled with it?
I doubt the seller even checks returns, you're doing all this avoid the return and in my world software is never a screw-up that voids warranty. Sounds like Veronica has the advice that might work, installing SPMC and it didn't fly suggests something a bit more serious, so a reflash might be the ticket. It's possible that a drop could have caused damage to the timing crystals, I have seen that and of course some surface mounted this or that might have broken loose. If you feel you're under warranty, I would return it unless the cost and time is prohibitive.

Spotted this Coupon Code for $20 OFF: MXIII20 No way I'm endorsing this, but the price is cheaper than a Raspberry Pi 2 all in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
M8 S802 crashes on Kodi0