Req Better static Playlist Support
This request is about better Static Playlist support.

At the moment it is verry tedious and cumbersome to add a new track to a static playlist (m3u)

The Suggestion to solve this behavior, is to have a Button "add to Playlist" in the Contextmenu, which guide you to a Dialog where you can choose from the following options:

-Create New Playlist
-Add To existing Playlist (all available playlist should be listed there and by click on it, the Song should be added to the choosen Playlist (as simple as this.))

------

For those who arnt verry familiar with static playlists in XBMC/Kodi heres a example which steps are needet to do such a simple task as adding a Song (u maybe actualy listen to) to one of your Playlists.

At the Moment it is a Pain to add a Song to a Playlist!

You have to remeber the Song which you would like to add
Clear the Nowplaying Playlist
Browse to the Playlist you would like to add the Song,
Open the Playlist you would like to add the Song
Brows to the Song you would like to add to this Playlist (Hopefully you still remember the Title of that song or/and its Artist, if not; fingercrossed you write it down somewhere.)
Que the song to the Playlist
and Finaly save that dam list!

this behavior shuld be improved, for exaple by the suggested "add to playlist" Button.
While I - and probably most music lovers - totally agree, there are already some threads about this. Like

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=13752 (nearing its tenth birthday).

It appears though, music users are just a tiny fraction among kodi's users (and devs).
+1 for this feature. The existing solution using Queue item is pretty clunky.

Music lovers do seem to be neglected by Kodi...
I agree. Regardless of it being for music or movies, this has bothered me for a long time. Even in our default skin, Confluence, the existing basic playlist features are hard to use. Sometimes it's hard to even find them. Basic playlists need some major TLC.
We already have a playlist editor, we just need to link to it from the Context menu and allow the Library node structure to be shown instead of just a files view.
That's for smart playlists. Basic playlists can't be edited within Kodi. The most one can do is queue the playlist itself to load it in a new playlist, add or remove things, and then save it as a new playlist.
There is a playlist editor for simple playlists in the music section. However it is not possible to just add a song from somewhere else in Kodi (library view, files view, now playing list) to an existing saved playlist. In order to add a specific song to a specific playlist you need to enter the playlist editor, load that specific playlist, pick the song in the left hand section of the editor, add it to the playlist shown in the right section of the editor and save the playlist. The editor is actually pretty okay to use.

The other way (load the playlist into the now playing list, queue the new song from the library and then save the now playing list again) was described correctly already.

What's missing is the option to just add a song directly from the library or the now playing to a playlist NOT using the editor. The most intuitive thing for a user would most likely be to find a song browsing the library that they'd like to just add to a certain playlist.

Any for video playlists no editor exists at all. Only smart playlists can be created for videos.
(2015-05-21, 22:22)Ned Scott Wrote: That's for smart playlists. Basic playlists can't be edited within Kodi. The most one can do is queue the playlist itself to load it in a new playlist, add or remove things, and then save it as a new playlist.

No it's not, you can load a m3u, edit it and then save it.
(2015-05-21, 22:59)DarkHelmet Wrote: What's missing is the option to just add a song directly from the library or the now playing to a playlist NOT using the editor. The most intuitive thing for a user would most likely be to find a song browsing the library that they'd like to just add to a certain playlist.

Any for video playlists no editor exists at all. Only smart playlists can be created for videos.

That's what I'm saying, have "Add to playlist" on Context menu when in the Library, then that would open playlist editor with item selected on left hand side, then you can load existing playlist to add to or create a new one.

You could probably repurpose the music editor code for video playlists if you wanted to do a similar thing there.
While that would be an improvement, I'd prefer if you'd just get a list of playlists after "add to playlist". Maybe with a popup menu.
(2015-05-22, 01:54)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2015-05-21, 22:22)Ned Scott Wrote: That's for smart playlists. Basic playlists can't be edited within Kodi. The most one can do is queue the playlist itself to load it in a new playlist, add or remove things, and then save it as a new playlist.

No it's not, you can load a m3u, edit it and then save it.

Whoops. You are correct. This whole time I thought basic playlists were identical for both music and videos, since it was possible to mix the two (was it possible to mix them? now I'm doubting my knowledge..)
Thanks for the Replys

(2015-05-21, 18:38)jjd-uk Wrote: We already have a playlist editor, we just need to link to it from the Context menu and allow the Library node structure to be shown instead of just a files view.
Sonds good.

So, will this request, made it in a future release?, accepted?

Guess a lot Music-Section User would be happy about this!
(2015-05-21, 18:38)jjd-uk Wrote: We already have a playlist editor, we just need to link to it from the Context menu and allow the Library node structure to be shown instead of just a files view.

Jer, its "MyMusicPlaylistEditor.xml"

Did try to achieve it via Skinning but fail.

What i did was: Add a Button to the Contectmenu

PHP Code:
<control type="button" id ="SomeID">
    <
description>Add to Static Playlist (m3uButton</description>
    <
label>Add to Static Playlist</label>
    <
width>300</width>
    <
height>32</height>
    <
font>fontContextMenu</font>
    <
align>center</align>
    <
textcolor>grey2</textcolor>
    <
focusedcolor>white</focusedcolor>
    <
texturefocus border="10">MenuitemFO.png</texturefocus>
    <
texturenofocus border="10">MenuitemNF.png</texturenofocus>
    <
onclick>Skin.SetString(ItemToAddToStaticPlaylist,$INFO[Container.FolderPath])</onclick>  <!-- ListItem.Path -->
    <
onclick>ActivateWindow(musicplaylisteditor)</onclick>
    <
visible>Container.Content(Songs)</visible>
</
control

And try to replace the Coregiven Content in the left list of "musicplaylisteditor" with

PHP Code:
<content>$INFO[Skin.String(ItemToAddToStaticPlaylist)]</content

The Content Shows up, but i cant add it to a Playlist.

---

First i thuth a Dialog which shows the Playlists would be better, but go straight to "musicplaylisteditor" seems to be a better solution.

If it would be possible to also add a "Create New Playlist"-Button to "musicplaylisteditor" it would offer all this request was about.

Hope Someone is interested to thake a look in to this.

Regards.
I can't even describe how awesome that would be.
Playlists should be accessible via OSD's as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Better static Playlist Support0