Hardware recommendation for Bluray ISO files & Aeon Nox Shednox?
My library has gotten pretty big and mainly consists of full bluray ISO rips. I am currently running Openelec on an entry level Intel Nuc celeron 1.1ghz with 8gb ram for a long time it was great, but now seems way too slow

I am running the most graphic intensive skin available with as much eye candy as possible and running tvtunes so I have theme music for nearly my entire library.

my current hardware just doesn't seem to be able to keep up anymore. lately the dialog in movies is oftentimes out of sync and that is what drives me crazy the most and the load times for the posters in showcase view with logo aren't much better.

basically, how fast do i need to get to have everything run as smoothly as possible? i have a chromebox i could try openelec on but it doesn't look like the processor is that much faster.

any recommendations? it is time to buy some new hardware i think.
(2015-05-20, 07:10)knives of ice Wrote: i have a chromebox i could try openelec on but it doesn't look like the processor is that much faster.

oh, but it is - very much so. The Celeron 2955U in the ChromeBox is basically a Core i3-lite, and runs circles around the N2xxx series "Celeron" (read: Atom) chip in the NUC

As a no-risk option, you could always try the new 'Run OpenELEC from USB' feature I added to the ChromeBox setup script and see for yourself. Just backup your NUC and restore on the ChromeBox, I bet you will be pleasantly surprised (just use a decent USB3 stick). And then again when you install/run from the internal SSD and everything is even faster Smile
(2015-05-20, 07:19)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-20, 07:10)knives of ice Wrote: i have a chromebox i could try openelec on but it doesn't look like the processor is that much faster.

oh, but it is - very much so. The Celeron 2955U in the ChromeBox is basically a Core i3-lite, and runs circles around the N2xxx series "Celeron" (read: Atom) chip in the NUC

As a no-risk option, you could always try the new 'Run OpenELEC from USB' feature I added to the ChromeBox setup script and see for yourself. Just backup your NUC and restore on the ChromeBox, I bet you will be pleasantly surprised (just use a decent USB3 stick). And then again when you install/run from the internal SSD and everything is even faster Smile

awesome, that settles it then. the processor comparisons online didn't show very much difference in speed. i'm not even using the chromebox, so i'm going to order some more ram to add to it and get openelec loaded up on it.

thanks!
(2015-05-20, 07:22)knives of ice Wrote: awesome, that settles it then. the processor comparisons online didn't show very much difference in speed. i'm not even using the chromebox, so i'm going to order some more ram to add to it and get openelec loaded up on it.

thanks!

it doesn't need any more RAM, OE + Kodi only uses <1GB anyway
the only thing i wonder if it will be a problem - will a wifi only connection be enough? i currently have ethernet plugged in directly to my nuc
(2015-05-20, 07:24)knives of ice Wrote: the only thing i wonder if it will be a problem - will a wifi only connection be enough? i currently have ethernet plugged in directly to my nuc

for Bluray ISO files, not likely, or not without a significant amount of buffering to start. Why not just use the ethernet connection that the NUC is using?
(2015-05-20, 07:31)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-20, 07:24)knives of ice Wrote: the only thing i wonder if it will be a problem - will a wifi only connection be enough? i currently have ethernet plugged in directly to my nuc

for Bluray ISO files, not likely, or not without a significant amount of buffering to start. Why not just use the ethernet connection that the NUC is using?

really appreciate all of your help.

man, i didn't even realize my hp chromebox had an ethernet connection. thanks so much, i haven't even been using the chromebox at all so this will be perfect.
personally, I'd just skip the OE on USB suggestion I made earlier and jump in with both feet, and do a full standalone setup. The ChromeBox will power on and fully boot up in the time it takes your NUC to POST (srsly)
(2015-05-20, 07:37)Matt Devo Wrote: personally, I'd just skip the OE on USB suggestion I made earlier and jump in with both feet, and do a full standalone setup. The ChromeBox will power on and fully boot up in the time it takes your NUC to POST (srsly)

awesome, can't wait. that is definitely what i'll do i'll just run openelec on it i don't care if i ever use the chrome portion of the box again.
(2015-05-20, 07:39)knives of ice Wrote: awesome, can't wait. that is definitely what i'll do i'll just run openelec on it i don't care if i ever use the chrome portion of the box again.

just take your time, read the entire OP of my EZ setup script thread, read thru the wiki,and you'll be good to go

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware recommendation for Bluray ISO files & Aeon Nox Shednox?0