v14 Adding files manualy via usb
Kodibuntu 14 generic. Stand alone build as a media player with self contained data base... media, movies, tv, music.

I'm going to be using a dedicated kodibuntu pc for my HTPC in a remote location. There will be no internet or usable network. I'll have to add files (music and movies, tv) manually via a usb drive when I can. I'll need to reuse the USB drive to transport the media, so the files can not remain on that drive.

I've installed Kodi on a 500gig hard drive (twice the space I actually need) on my the dedicated pc and I was trying to add my media collection to the build via and external USB drive & the GUI, but I can't seem to get it done. I've tried adding a user (other than the master account), creating dedicated folders for each group and so on. How do I copy the files from the USB to the kodi pc? There was plenty of option for retrieving files via a network solution, but no basic cut and paste. I'm not concerned about meta data or album art for the files.

Is Kodi primarily a streamer? Meaning it can only access an external/networked database source? Or can I use it as a stand alone air-gapped media player?

Or should I use something else?

I really enjoy the look, the user experience, and it runs really well on the pc I've built it on.

If this has been asked, or this is in the wrong place, my apologies in advance. I've read the Wiki, help, faq's, and I couldn't seem to find the answer, I've even done a cursory search in the forums, and on Google, but I guess I didn't phrase the questions or queries properly.
Quote: How do I copy the files from the USB to the kodi pc?

As you want to use kodibuntu you have 2 ways to copy the media files.

Use Kodis in build file explorer. It's in the submenu of 'system' if you are using confluence as the skin. You have to add the USB drive as a source first. Be aware I don't mean as a video source. I mean a file source, which is different to video sources.

Use the desktop environment. To access it follow this: http://kodi.wiki/view/kodibuntu#Basic_use
At this environment you have another filemanager in which you easily use copy&paste.

Quote: Is Kodi primarily a streamer? Meaning it can only access an external/networked database source? Or can I use it as a stand alone air-gapped media player?

Kodi is indeed a steamer which plays files over the network, from local sources (HDDs for example) and over the web, if you want to and know how to set it up. But unfortunately I think I don't get what you mean with "air-gapped media player" as english is not my native language. Maybe you could explain a bit more, so I might be able to help (or others will jump in) Wink
[quote='David1977' pid='2010712' dateline='1432327864']
Quote: How do I copy the files from the USB to the kodi pc?

Use Kodis in build file explorer. It's in the submenu of 'system' if you are using confluence as the skin. You have to add the USB drive as a source first. Be aware I don't mean as a video source. I mean a file source, which is different to video sources.

Use the desktop environment. To access it follow this: http://kodi.wiki/view/kodibuntu#Basic_use
At this environment you have another filemanager in which you easily use copy&paste.

Thank you, I will give it a go when I get a chance. I'm sure I can make it work in the Lubuntu side more easily than using the gui.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding files manualy via usb0