• 77(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
Use nfs, not smb.
(2016-01-30, 03:58)BigOldBoy Wrote: I am sure many here have already figured this out but I had not seen it posted, so I thought I would share for those folks. And I am sure it can be done with any other skin. The Kodi Command is ActivateWindow(Programs,Android apps,return).
Actually this will "just" open the Android app list.
You could use the command StartAndroidActivity to start the Android app directly with the menu entry. Thats what I do with the Yatse Remote App.
For Netflix this would be StartAndroidActivity(com.netflix.ninja) and for TVHZ (to set the refresh rate before using Netflix) this would be StartAndroidActivity(eu.chainfire.tv.hz).
Can't get my shield tv work with nfs share do i need to do something special...?
Probably something to set up on your nas about permissions and shares
Can't help you on this as I have a synology myself
Google nfs for your nas
Hello,

I hope this is the right forum/thread to post in. My wife and I just got a Nvidia Shield TV - have been users of a Boxee Box for several years. TV Shows and movies stored on a number of networked harddrives (mostly D-Link DNS-320, 321 and 323's). We use the Boxee Box like windows explorer - navigate to the folder and click on the video file (I have everthing in separate folders). Going from this to Kodi is probably going to seem like switching from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 (or maybe DOS to Windows) for us.

Just before the Shield TV arrived, I used filebot to rename all folders/files on the networked harddrives. Then used Ember to scrape the info for all of them - very impressed how smoothly this went (abt. 100 TV shows and 2000 movies).

After getting the Shield TV set, I went into Kodi and started adding sources. Using SMB protocol, had no problems adding each source (picking either movies or tv shows and use local info). After each one, a success scan would happen and I would end up with more TV shows/movies listed.

When I got to one of the last networked harddrives (D-Link DNS-323), and did the same as above (navigate to the Volume_1 folder), pick movies and use local info, when it started its scan, it kicked out of Kodi and back to the main Nvidia screen. Same result for Volume_2.

I doublechecked the network settings for the DNS-323 - seemed the same to me as everything else. Ended up changing IP address, name of it etc and rescanning - same result. Removed all other sources and started over adding the 323 first - same result. Tried adding the movies from the 323 and using one of the scrapers instead of local files and got same result (when starting to scan, kicked out of kodi with no error messages on screen). Even though I cannot scan the info on the 323, I can navigate to the files on the 323 using Kodi and they play fine.

Definitely stumped on why this one networked harddrive will not play nice and no idea what to try next (maybe upload a log file)? I would guess that it has nothing to do with Ember and the nfo files since I got the same result when I tried to use the scraper in Kodi?

A first time user - still trying to figure out where everything else but hoping the above will make some sort of sense.

EDIT/Update - did a quick google search for the DNS-323 and noticed some others also had the same issue. One solution was to use the ftp protocol for the 323 - and it actually did work. Now just have to figure out how to edit the advancedsettings.xml file on the Shield - seems that by default it won't scrape the posters/fanart on a ftp server?

Regards,
gully
(2016-01-30, 16:56)smargi Wrote: Can't get my shield tv work with nfs share do i need to do something special...?
You need to
a) enable the secure option on the nfs server (ports over 1024)
b) set the anonuid/anongid, as Kodi on Android won't have a valid/matching userid. On your NAS this will probably be named "Match all to user ..." or something.
Hey everyone,

The wiki, says that Kodi does not support HD audio pass-through under nvidia shield.

Does this mean that we get no audio at all, or does it mean that we get to hear a different audio stream instead?

Thank you.
NVIDIA Shield 2015 -> HDMI -> ONKYO TX-NR609 -> HDMI -> SONY Bravia (9 years old now...)

ONKYO -> lots of cables -> BOSE
I depends on your settings. With the default settings you will get DTS (pass through) for DTS HD, and for DD+ and TrueHD Kodi will decode the audio and send it as PCM.
You can change the settings so DTS (HD) will always be decoded and send as PCM.
You can also try the experimental build: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252852
Ah, I see.

What is important to me, is that at the very least, I will have *some* kind of audio, instead of a mute. I'll go check the experimental build.

Thank you!
NVIDIA Shield 2015 -> HDMI -> ONKYO TX-NR609 -> HDMI -> SONY Bravia (9 years old now...)

(2016-01-30, 10:53)wweich Wrote:
(2016-01-30, 03:58)BigOldBoy Wrote: I am sure many here have already figured this out but I had not seen it posted, so I thought I would share for those folks. And I am sure it can be done with any other skin. The Kodi Command is ActivateWindow(Programs,Android apps,return).
Actually this will "just" open the Android app list.
You could use the command StartAndroidActivity to start the Android app directly with the menu entry. Thats what I do with the Yatse Remote App.
For Netflix this would be StartAndroidActivity(com.netflix.ninja) and for TVHZ (to set the refresh rate before using Netflix) this would be StartAndroidActivity(eu.chainfire.tv.hz).

This is wonderful, even better than what I found. Thanks for sharing!
(2016-01-31, 14:43)ZombieViewer Wrote: Ah, I see.

What is important to me, is that at the very least, I will have *some* kind of audio, instead of a mute. I'll go check the experimental build.

Thank you!

letting kodi decode to PCM is lossless, so part from your AVR not showing DTS-HD, there is no difference.
(2016-01-31, 23:03)wsnipex Wrote:
(2016-01-31, 14:43)ZombieViewer Wrote: Ah, I see.

Thank you!

letting kodi decode to PCM is lossless, so part from your AVR not showing DTS-HD, there is no difference.

Yes but we love it when it lights up with the codecs. Big Grin
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
I have one more question for you,

how is security handled in this android tv? Judging from the android smartphones, the apps/games steal all sorts of data from the smartphones (contacts, photos, etc). How do you handle this issue in the nvidia shield?

Tongue 
When I stop in the middle of a movie Kodi will not remember where I stopped and starts the movie from the beginning again. Either I'm a total idiot, but I can`t find where to activate it so Kodi remember where to start the movie again. Huh
(2016-01-30, 19:48)wweich Wrote:
(2016-01-30, 16:56)smargi Wrote: Can't get my shield tv work with nfs share do i need to do something special...?
You need to
a) enable the secure option on the nfs server (ports over 1024)
b) set the anonuid/anongid, as Kodi on Android won't have a valid/matching userid. On your NAS this will probably be named "Match all to user ..." or something.

Thanks for the info. I also had problems getting NFS to work - using Windows Server 2012 R2 as NAS. I then tried to use SMB, but SMB shares were not found at all. Usually when you search for SMB it first lists the Workgroup and then all hosts in that workgroup. I had to input the smb share manually by typing smb://IP and then I also needed a username and password - I never needed this, I think the default is something like guest / guest for read access. I tried this but it didn't work, so I had to sign in with a real username and password.

It seems to play the movies just fine now, using this SMB share. Should I bother then with the NFS configuration?
  • 77(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6