usb wifi adapter for kodi running openelec with RPI2b
I am going to set up my TV with rapsberry PI2B to run Kodi & this is pretty much all I'll be doing
My router is upstairs & my RPi will be downstairs, therefore it is not possible to use ethernet
I therefore need a good USB wifi adapter, one which is easy to setup out the box, I don't want to have to spends ages fiddling around, running commands, etc
Please can you recommend a stable, compatible wifi adapter with good signal strength to use on RPI 2B, running kodi with openelec

many thanks
There is an official Pi Wifi adaptor here.
Some useful suggestions [http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...-pi-b]here[/url].

If you want to play 1080p videos then wired ethernet is strongly recommended.
You may get okay results with wifi but you are dependent on what other users are doing (people using wifi in your own house, neighbours using wifi, interferers like microwave ovens).
Powerline is another option to consider, but does depend on the quality of your electrical wiring.
I use the edimax wireless n dongles. Work out of the box. As for whether they'll work for you, depends on the quality of your Wi-Fi signal. I'd look at an eop solution if I was looking at your situation.
If your wi-fi network supports 5GHz use this and a USB adaptor which supports it (such as n600 range from various suppliers - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WDN32...+link+n600).

My Pi is rock solid on 5Ghz streaming 1080p and 1080i live tv too (Fire TV using same wi-fi network also works well)

Edit - i found this better and more reliable than powerline adaptors, which i just found a PITA
I am a little confused about knowing if my wi-fi network supports 5ghz, the command

iwlist wlan0 freq

produces the following result:

wlan0 13 channels in total; available frequencies :
Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
Channel 02 : 2.417 GHz
Channel 03 : 2.422 GHz
Channel 04 : 2.427 GHz
Channel 05 : 2.432 GHz
Channel 06 : 2.437 GHz
Channel 07 : 2.442 GHz
Channel 08 : 2.447 GHz
Channel 09 : 2.452 GHz
Channel 10 : 2.457 GHz
Channel 11 : 2.462 GHz
Channel 12 : 2.467 GHz
Channel 13 : 2.472 GHz
Current Frequency:2.467 GHz (Channel 12)

so I am guessing not

is it the router which determines whether 5ghz is supported (I am using Alfa R36) or is it the wifi card (so in other words if I was to buy a wifi adapter which is dual band (like the EW-7811UTC) would that mean I could use 5ghz....please clarify
It's your router, you need a dual band wireless n router at a minimum.
(2015-05-29, 17:09)mel08 Wrote: is it the router which determines whether 5ghz is supported (I am using Alfa R36) or is it the wifi card (so in other words if I was to buy a wifi adapter which is dual band (like the EW-7811UTC) would that mean I could use 5ghz....please clarify

You need both your access point (which in this case is in your router) and your client (i.e. USB dongle) to support 5GHz to use a 5GHz connection. (5GHz is often less congested and more reliable, but is lower range in some cases)

A good thing to look for in specs (other than 5GHz, or Dual Band) is 802.11a support. 802.11a was the first wifi standard to use 5GHz. 802.11b and g were 2.4Ghz ISTR, and 802.11n would work in both bands (but 802.11n didn't require support for both bands), but 802.11bgn routers were 2.4GHz only, whereas 802.11abgn supported both 2.4 and 5GHz.

I think 802.11ac mandates 5GHz support - but I may be wrong.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
usb wifi adapter for kodi running openelec with RPI2b0