Trouble Streaming Dolby Atmos
Hi Guys first post. I have done some extensive reading on this topic on this forum but cannot find a specific answer to my problem. I am trying to play the demonstration disc bdmv with a dolby true hd +atmos stream. I am outputting to my denon avr-x7200w via thunderbolt connected to a 7.1.4 setup(dolby enabled speakers front and rear). I have the audio setting set to the true hd stream and passthrough enabled. I have even tried to adjust the main audio system setting to (hdmi,denon avr-x7200w). No matter what i select I do not have the option on my receiver of dolby atmos or even dolby truehd. i am given other options but not these two. Is there some limitation from either my macbook, thunderbolt, or kodi I am missing here?
Very possible I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly Mac computers can't process TrueHD. My understanding is that Apple doesn't license their hardware but I don't really know the specifics. 5.1 is probably the best you'll get using a Mac.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
I was thinking along the same lines but was wondering if selecting one of these options in kodi just passes the stream through for the receiver to decode.
(2015-06-03, 02:05)wgstarks Wrote: Very possible I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly Mac computers can't process TrueHD. My understanding is that Apple doesn't license their hardware but I don't really know the specifics
Kodi for OS X can process Dolby TrueHD (i.e. convert it to PCM), but not (yet) DTS HD Master Audio. However, I don't think it's possible to stream in those formats to an external decoder from a Mac. The reason is probably that Apple wants people to buy all their media from Apple's iTunes Store and never ever use Blu-ray discs …
"The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television." (Videodrome (1983), David Cronenberg)
Well its as follows.

Mac running MacOSX can:
Decode DTS 5.1, AC3 5.1 and TrueHD up to 7.1 to PCM 8 channel.
Transcode AAC5.1 to AC3 5.1
Pass through DTS 5.1, AC35.1

Mac running Windows might(!) additionally be able to:
Passthrough EAC, TrueHD7.1 and DTS HD 7.1

I bet this is covered in the wiki. The limitation of the OSX audio system is mentioned alot of times by now.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
All Macs from 2011 and up can bitstream true hd /dts hd ma. That is when running windows/linux.
The ones using a discrete GPU solution will also support 23,976hz when running windows/linux. The ones using an IGP didn't get that capability until Haswell (2013 for most, 2014 for the mac mini).
OSX does not support 23.976hz or bitstreaming of HD formats.
It turns out you CAN passthrough DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 formats to the tv. Meaning the mac is capable, since iOS is just a subset of the Mac OSX framework.
Link Below:

Infuse is the first and only iOS / tvOS app in its class to include fully certified DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-MA, Dolby-TrueHD , Dolby Digital Plus audio.
http://firecore.com/infuse

So it IS possible, and HAS been done.

(:
And you stop to spread this Bullshit now if possible ... One time is ok - but i am Sick of wrong Information hitting the Forums - just because someone got to excited and didn't read or understand someone elses advertising. People believe this stuff and i need a Lot of words to get the truth into the World again afterwards.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trouble Streaming Dolby Atmos0